This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#100916 by dumiooma
Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:49 am
I finally fixed all my Ooma problems with call drops, hanging up on callers and choppy connections. I have been working on and off with these problems ever since I installed the Ooma in May. I tried all the things the Ooma CS told me to do. Nothing worked.

I did two things that seemed to help a little. First, I did away with the wireless adapter, and wired the Ooma to my Motorola SBG-6580 cable modem/wireless router with an ethernet cable. Then, instead of wiring both the computer and the Ooma directly to the cable modem, I used the alternate connection for the computer and plugged it into the Ooma. So the wiring went from the computer ethernet port to the Ooma ethernet port to the cable modem/router ethernet port. This was the best I was able to do, but the problems never went away.

Then I read the post about dropping calls after a few seconds. In it, the suggestion was made to change the port MAC address from automatic to use built in. Voila! All my problems disappeared at once, and my Ooma is working absolutely perfectly. I am hoping my experience will help others who are having these kinds of problems.

Really happy Ooma customer (finally)
#103204 by yank4red
Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:49 pm
Ditto!
I was experiencing a lot of interruptions (blinking red) and the Telo would reset and be fine for a while, but then randomly lose connection again. According to setup the signal strength was very good and when it was working the voice quality was very good. I have a 18MBPS high speed connection and the receiver was close to the router.
I finally gave up and ran an ethernet cable to the Telo, restored power and haven't had a problem since. I don't know if it's a poor quality adapter or what but I wouldn't waste my money on this option unless you absolutely need it.
#104151 by dashaade
Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:04 pm
Then I read the post about dropping calls after a few seconds. In it, the suggestion was made to change the port MAC address from automatic to use built in. Voila! All my problems disappeared at once, and my Ooma is working absolutely perfectly. I am hoping my experience will help others who are having these kinds of problems.

Thanx for this. That worked for me as well. However, I have noticed that my router does not reconize the same MAC address that is being displayed in the OOMA setup. Have you noticed the same?
#104153 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 pm
FYI additional Information:
First: When using the Ooma Telo Wi-Fi USB dongle, the Ooma Setup Advanced page Quality of Service settings are now active.

That means if you do not connect anything to the Ooma Telo Home port, the Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream settings should be set to Zero.

If additional devices are connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, the Ooma Telo Home port, the Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream settings may have be set to approximately 80 to 85 percent of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . If you have a high speed Internet connection, the default Ooma Telo Quality of service setting will probably work.

Second: With the recent Ooma Telo firmware updates, some people have had their Ooma Setup, Internet page, MAC address setting, revert back from Use Built In, to the Automatic MAC address setting. If you are having problems, check this setting again.