This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99975 by carowley
Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:03 pm
Hi,

Just installed a new Ooma unit and the call quality is great. I do however notice a bit of call lag (latency) that causes some over talking. It actually doesn't bother me too much however I do occasionally have conference calls initiated by others (so outside of the Ooma system) and am wondering if the lag or latency is more of a problem when there are multiple people speaking. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or how to reduce what ever call lag there currently is.

I have a Comcast cable DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a 30mb download and 5mb upload speed.

Thanks
#99976 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:34 pm
I am on conference calls using Ooma a lot with no issues.

Make sure you do a once over on this post and check your system out. There are a couple of links in there for optimal setups as well: viewtopic.php?t=10023
#99977 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:41 pm
carowley wrote:Hi,

Just installed a new Ooma unit and the call quality is great. I do however notice a bit of call lag (latency) that causes some over talking. It actually doesn't bother me too much however I do occasionally have conference calls initiated by others (so outside of the Ooma system) and am wondering if the lag or latency is more of a problem when there are multiple people speaking. Does anyone have any experience with this and/or how to reduce what ever call lag there currently is.

I have a Comcast cable DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a 30mb download and 5mb upload speed.

Thanks

Sounds like you are experiencing Half-Duplex operation. This is most often caused by the Modem operating at Half-Duplex. Half-Duplex is one way conversation, where the listening party has to wait for the talking party to stop talking, before they can talk. Full-Duplex is where both parties can talk at the same time and hear each other clearly.

Rebooting or resetting the Modem will often correct this problem. Note some Modems contain a battery that temporarily must be remove during the reboot or reset, reference the Modem manufacture’s owner’s manual for procedures.

Note: Some Modems and/or Routers contain in the WAN settings area (mine says "Wired WAN Settings"), a place were Full-Duplex can be selected. If your Modem and/or Router contain this setting, change from Automatic to the Full-Duplex setting.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
#100042 by irnaggie
Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:03 pm
I utilize an AT&T conference center line and find that it ALWAYS encounters a significant lag from my ooma. Standard calls are no problem, but a group conference via AT&T is a huge issue.

I've tried all tunings and am out of ideas. Anyone have anything to offer besides resignation?
#100051 by carowley
Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:38 am
I followed some of the suggestions and there doesn't seem to be any lag at all now on one on one calls although I haven't tested a conference call scenario.

Here is what I did:

Changed the Ooma device to before the router
Set to Use built in Mac Address
Set the upload and download speeds to no more than 80% of speed test
Rebooted everything.

Thanks for the advice.