This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#104289 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:31 am
Bob K wrote:Ooh, not the answer I wanted to hear. ( = more $ )

I'm curious, if I may ask, why did you buy a Panasonic handset instead of an Ooma handset?

Bob K

I bought the Panasonic before there was an Ooma HD2 handset. Before there was only the Ooma HD1 handset that had a lot of problems. I now also have HD2 handsets which are working out very well and we use them more then the Panasonic handsets.
#104298 by jackchristensen
Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:21 pm
I too am having the echo problem along with strange sounds, broken up words, generally unacceptable performance. My ping time is 15 ms, download speed is 12 mB/s and upload is 6 mB/s. I don't have any Telo handsets. I've not changed my system in any way for months, I haven't installed any upgrades. I have cycled the Ooma modem which is installed between the Comcast modem and my router to no avail. What's up??
#104301 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:20 pm
jackchristensen wrote:I too am having the echo problem along with strange sounds, broken up words, generally unacceptable performance. My ping time is 15 ms, download speed is 12 mB/s and upload is 6 mB/s. I don't have any Telo handsets. I've not changed my system in any way for months, I haven't installed any upgrades. I have cycled the Ooma modem which is installed between the Comcast modem and my router to no avail. What's up??

Try this:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma or Modem/router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem (or Modem/Router), your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router) and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem (or Modem/Router). When the Modem is done booting repower your Router (skip to Ooma Device if have Modem/Router). When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next If you have a Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed from 80% to 85% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 or .85 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you are using a Modem-Router-Ooma Connection, set the Ooma Setup Advanced page Quality of Service settings both to Zero.
#104415 by Bob K
Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 pm
After reading your subsequent "fixes and patches" and your testimony to the new handsets,
would you happen to know of any "specials" or coupons or promotions on the new handsets?
Maybe a "customer loyalty discount" ? ;)

Bob K
#104422 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:29 am
Bob K wrote:After reading your subsequent "fixes and patches" and your testimony to the new handsets,
would you happen to know of any "specials" or coupons or promotions on the new handsets?
Maybe a "customer loyalty discount" ? ;)

Bob K

It appears that there has been quite a demand for the Ooma HD2 handsets. They were just recently released for sale in Canada. So probably there won't be any specials for a while.
#104496 by Bojamijams
Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:42 am
Any update on when the new firmware will be pushed out? I'm still periodically getting Echo issues and currently (December 23rd) it seems like a s**t-storm of issues. Whoever we call it either rings forever then just stops, someone else answers and speaks in a foreign voice (almost like we got connected to someone elses conversation), loud high pitched noises... just the worst kind of phone issues I've ever experienced.

Combined with the echo issue periodically and the fact I'm not really hearing this "HD" voice, I'm really starting to doubt my premier purchase.
#104505 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:20 am
Bojamijams wrote:Any update on when the new firmware will be pushed out? I'm still periodically getting Echo issues and currently (December 23rd) it seems like a s**t-storm of issues. Whoever we call it either rings forever then just stops, someone else answers and speaks in a foreign voice (almost like we got connected to someone elses conversation), loud high pitched noises... just the worst kind of phone issues I've ever experienced.

Combined with the echo issue periodically and the fact I'm not really hearing this "HD" voice, I'm really starting to doubt my premier purchase.

For Echo some things to try:
Try another corded phone with all of the other Wireless phones in your home temporarily disconnected. For this test you need to have the cordless phone base(s) unpowered, even if connected to another phone provider.

Make sure that all electrical, electronic equipment is placed at least three to four feet away from the Ooma Telo.

Power off the Ooma Telo for one hour. This gives the Ooma Servers time to rebuild/repair your Ooma Profile. Then repower the Ooma Telo and test.

For the noise issues:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#104522 by heim
Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:56 pm
thunderbird wrote:
Bojamijams wrote:Any update on when the new firmware will be pushed out? I'm still periodically getting Echo issues and currently (December 23rd) it seems like a s**t-storm of issues. Whoever we call it either rings forever then just stops, someone else answers and speaks in a foreign voice (almost like we got connected to someone elses conversation), loud high pitched noises... just the worst kind of phone issues I've ever experienced.

We are experiencing the exact same issue today, December 23, 2012. I can receive calls but every time I dial a number I end up hearing multiple conversations, someone speaking in another language, or a message that the caller I have reached is on the phone (which they are not since I am testing with a cell number as well as family).
Any suggestions.
Thank you.
#104527 by Nocturnal
Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:13 pm
heim wrote:
thunderbird wrote:

We are experiencing the exact same issue today, December 23, 2012. I can receive calls but every time I dial a number I end up hearing multiple conversations, someone speaking in another language, or a message that the caller I have reached is on the phone (which they are not since I am testing with a cell number as well as family).
Any suggestions.
Thank you.

Here as well, may be time to re-think this purchase!
#104596 by Bojamijams
Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:34 pm
I appreciate the attempt Thunderbird, but we don't have any corded phones.

I'm still wondering when the new firmware, which was in beta and some users already received and it fixed their issues, will be released to all customers.