This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#102884 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:35 am
Bojamijams wrote:So the update happens on Ooma's end? Ie. they push the update, I don't have to do anything to cause it to update?

The updates are "pushed" from Ooma and you normally don't have to do anything. But the next update probably won’t be “pushed” out for a couple of weeks.

But if you are having an immediate problem, you can call Ooma Customer support, ask for a level three support person, and have them "push" out a firmware update.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#103072 by Mount10Wizard
Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:07 pm
I too have in the last month or so developed this echo problem.

I have also reset the Quality of service #'s.

I have Panasonic 6.0 DECT phones.

It is very awkward staying with OOMA when this problem exists, I hope they fix it soon.

As it varies phone call to phone call.

I do not hear it when I call into the voice mail.

*Update

I did the speed test I have over 4.5 up and 38 down. Plenty of bandwidth and good scores for ping, latency etc.
I reset the up to 785kbs up and left the down blank. Still have the echo. Called customer service who would not switch me to level 3 support.

Tomorrow I will call in and ask again for level 3 support. It will be very good if ooma can fix this quick. If I continue to have these problems I will be very unhappy and looking at alternatives such as returning my ooma box and requesting a refund as I have prepaid for premier for a year. This is not an acceptable level of service. I too as mentioned before have recent Panasonic Dec 6 phones. Which worked fine. I too have 60080 firmware update. No Ooma phone and if this does not clear up soon then I will have to quit Ooma which was working fine until about 1 month ago, when I switched to a 2nd line. From what I can tell it probably is the recent firmware upgrade. I will also make my issues known everywhere I can on the web.

Thank you,

Kris
#103080 by thunderbird
Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:57 am
Mount10Wizard wrote:I too have in the last month or so developed this echo problem.

I have also reset the Quality of service #'s.

I have Panasonic 6.0 DECT phones.

It is very awkward staying with OOMA when this problem exists, I hope they fix it soon.

As it varies phone call to phone call.

I do not hear it when I call into the voice mail.

*Update

I did the speed test I have over 4.5 up and 38 down. Plenty of bandwidth and good scores for ping, latency etc.
I reset the up to 785kbs up and left the down blank. Still have the echo. Called customer service who would not switch me to level 3 support.

Tomorrow I will call in and ask again for level 3 support. It will be very good if ooma can fix this quick. If I continue to have these problems I will be very unhappy and looking at alternatives such as returning my ooma box and requesting a refund as I have prepaid for premier for a year. This is not an acceptable level of service. I too as mentioned before have recent Panasonic Dec 6 phones. Which worked fine. I too have 60080 firmware update. No Ooma phone and if this does not clear up soon then I will have to quit Ooma which was working fine until about 1 month ago, when I switched to a 2nd line. From what I can tell it probably is the recent firmware upgrade. I will also make my issues known everywhere I can on the web.

Thank you,

Kris

Try this if you are not using the new HD2 handset:
Dial *#*#301 with a phone connected to the Ooma Telo Phone port (switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware). If the Ooma Telo is in the new HD2 handset mode, it will reboot when the *#*#301 is dialed.
#103272 by painterguy
Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:18 am
We have been getting the echo too, but not always. It seems to be worse with calls to certain numbers. I tried tried the *#*#301 with rebooting and nothing changed. My wife gets it more than I do and she is getting very annoyed. Her mom on the other end gets it too. I don't think we can live with it if it's going to be like this.

I notice also there is a 1/2 second delay in all conversations. It makes it awkward to communicate because someone is always stepping on the other persons end of the conversation. You start to talk not realizing the other party is two or three words into a sentence. This is constant, not intermittent.

I like saving money on the Ooma service but it may not be worth the aggravation if it doesn't work the way it should.
#103274 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:18 am
painterguy wrote:We have been getting the echo too, but not always. It seems to be worse with calls to certain numbers. I tried tried the *#*#301 with rebooting and nothing changed. My wife gets it more than I do and she is getting very annoyed. Her mom on the other end gets it too. I don't think we can live with it if it's going to be like this.

I notice also there is a 1/2 second delay in all conversations. It makes it awkward to communicate because someone is always stepping on the other persons end of the conversation. You start to talk not realizing the other party is two or three words into a sentence. This is constant, not intermittent.

I like saving money on the Ooma service but it may not be worth the aggravation if it doesn't work the way it should.

The delay and stepping on the persons end coversation sounds like Half-Duplex conversation.

This can usually be corrected by rebooting the Modem. But often it will come back.

Check and see if in your Router, WAN setting section, if there is a setting worded like "Wired WAN Settings" where you can set the setting (usually set to Automatic) to Full-Duplex. This should help the Modem to stay in the Full-Duplex mode, which is required to have two way conversation, where both parties can talk at the same time without stepping on each other's conversation, and you won't experience delay.

The echo problem will probably be also taken care of. After Ooma Telo firmware update 63430, the echo problem should also be better.
#103517 by Mount10Wizard
Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:53 am
It is interesting how I have 2 Panasonic Dect 6 phone systems, both with blue tooth capabilities (turned off), and one set the older one does not have echo and the newer one does. I do hope the new firmware clears up the echo as the voice quality of the newer Panasonic Dect 6 has better audio qualities at my end. I have tried everything mentioned before with no changes yet. Interesting also is that I was using the newer set and to echo and then switched live to the older Panasonic phone and echo went away. Same thing today with one of the new handsets suddenly sounding digitized, my end, and when I switched to a different handset it cleared right up. Both times I have done this it is with the line active.

So either it is a bad handset or the new Panasonic Phone series has a problem with echo and such. I will post again when I finally trouble shoot the problem.

Thank you,

Kris
#104274 by Bob K
Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:52 pm
I have a Uniden 5.8ghz handset in the kitchen that has an echo problem. The old Radio Shack corded handset in my computer room ( connected directly to the Ooma unit) does not have the echo problem.
How might I fix the echo problem with the Uniden handset?
Everything else seems to be operating within normal parameters.

Bob k
#104284 by thunderbird
Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 am
Bob K wrote:I have a Uniden 5.8ghz handset in the kitchen that has an echo problem. The old Radio Shack corded handset in my computer room ( connected directly to the Ooma unit) does not have the echo problem.

Bob k

The older 5.8 Ghz cordless phone systems will often cause/have echo when using the Ooma Telo.

I had this same problem, then later purchased a Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless phone system, and haven't had the echo problem since.
#104287 by Bob K
Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:19 am
Ooh, not the answer I wanted to hear. ( = more $ )

I'm curious, if I may ask, why did you buy a Panasonic handset instead of an Ooma handset?

Bob K
#104288 by murphy
Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:28 am
Bob K wrote:I have a Uniden 5.8ghz handset in the kitchen that has an echo problem. The old Radio Shack corded handset in my computer room ( connected directly to the Ooma unit) does not have the echo problem.

Bob k

Does the Uniden handset have a speaker mode and if it does are you using it?