This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#101020 by MOO
Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:45 am
Caller hearing an echo of their voice problem began in mid summer. Prior to that time both Ooma lines worked well. No changes in network equipment.

Echo problem has been eliminated by avoiding the use of phones on a DECT 6.0 wireless system. Hard wired phone or 5.8 gh wireless no problem.

It has not been necessary to disconnect the DETC 6.0 system from the network to correct the echo It functions as my answering /recorder system.
#101023 by murphy
Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:12 am
MOO wrote:Caller hearing an echo of their voice problem began in mid summer. Prior to that time both Ooma lines worked well. No changes in network equipment.

Echo problem has been eliminated by avoiding the use of phones on a DECT 6.0 wireless system. Hard wired phone or 5.8 gh wireless no problem.

It has not been necessary to disconnect the DETC 6.0 system from the network to correct the echo It functions as my answering /recorder system.

Interesting.
I have always wondered about the recommendation to use DECT 6 cordless phones with a base station (i.e. Telo) that uses DECT 6 to communicate with it's handsets. That sounds like an interference problem waiting to happen. The dect 6 cordless base needs to be far away from the Telo to avoid receiver overload.
#101285 by pauld315
Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:19 pm
I had the echo problem also and tried a of tips I saw on this board with no success. I finally called customer service around 5:15 PM yesterday expecting to get the runaround and no satisfaction. However, what I received was quite the opposite. The level 1 representative quickly took my information and escalated me to level 2 support. L2 did adjust the QoS settings in my TELO and then asked me to retry and if there was still a problem to call them back. The problem still existed. I called back and was put back into touch with L2. He asked me to attach my Panasonic DECT 6.0 Plus base station directly to the TELO. He called me back on my cell phone and patiently waited while the OOMA rebooted after having the base station attached. The problem still existed (actually got worse). He then transferred the problem to Level 3 Support. It was about 6:15 PM now so I thought that I might hear something the next day (today). However, I received an email from them last night about 9 PM stating that the engineers had made some changes to my TELO box and the issue should be fixed now. I tried it out last night and it was fixed ! I verified that again today when I used the phone all day while working from home. I issued the command *#*#001 and was told through the speaker on the TELO that the microcode level is now 61648. This is probably an early drop of their next release or the previous version with some fixes applied. I don't really care which as long as the echo is gone.

If you are having the echo problem, just call them preferably using your OOMA attached phone so they can hear the echo themselves. They were all very helpful, courteous and professional and fixed the issue very quickly once it got to their L3 support.
#101291 by thunderbird
Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:46 pm
pauld315:
Version: 60080 is the current version.

Before, Ooma was rolling back the current firmware version, to the previous firmware version, for people that were having problems with echo.

But now Ooma issued you version 61648, which is an advanced firmware version.

Glad to hear that the echo problem is corrected.
#101396 by Bojamijams
Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:40 am
Came here with the same issue that the OP was reporting. We also use a Panasonic DECT 6.0 system. The two devices are about 6-8 inches apart.

I'm currently away on a business trip and my wife is talking to me on skype telling me she can't hear anyone whether they call them or she calls them. I told her to reboot the Telo and that worked for now but I have already e-mailed her the "301" procedure to try.

But I'm unclear on how long this process takes. I've been reading here that you have to contact customer support and request a roll back and it may take a few days to do. Is that an alternative to the 301 procedure?

Once we get on the older firmware, and if that fixes the issue, how long will our Telo stay on that firmware? Will it be automatically updated once this advanced version which fixes the issues becomes official?

Thanks.
#101400 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:08 am
Bojamijams wrote:Came here with the same issue that the OP was reporting. We also use a Panasonic DECT 6.0 system. The two devices are about 6-8 inches apart.

I'm currently away on a business trip and my wife is talking to me on skype telling me she can't hear anyone whether they call them or she calls them. I told her to reboot the Telo and that worked for now but I have already e-mailed her the "301" procedure to try.

But I'm unclear on how long this process takes. I've been reading here that you have to contact customer support and request a roll back and it may take a few days to do. Is that an alternative to the 301 procedure?

Once we get on the older firmware, and if that fixes the issue, how long will our Telo stay on that firmware? Will it be automatically updated once this advanced version which fixes the issues becomes official?
Thanks.

The *#*#301 "switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware", procedure takes about as long as it takes to reboot the Ooma Telo.

But instead I'd call Ooma Customer Service, ask for a third level support person, and have them Push Ooma Telo firmware version 61648, which is an advanced firmware version, to your Ooma Telo.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#101403 by lite1
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:32 am
FWIW I had posted much earlier in thread and was the one that indicated that rolling back to firmware 52493 had solved things for me. I will probably wait on requesting that firmware be rolled forward (61648) to what seems like a recent release that seems to work for other people. Per the advice of one person on this thread I moved my Panasonc Dect 6 base unit that had been only a few inches from Telo and now it is 7 or 8 feet. Can anyone else confirm that separating them is considered to be a good idea for better "service and call quality - lack of interference"?

As always, very grateful for this informative and responsive forum community.
#101404 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:37 am
lite1 wrote:FWIW I had posted much earlier in thread and was the one that indicated that rolling back to firmware 52493 had solved things for me. I will probably wait on requesting that firmware be rolled forward (61648) to what seems like a recent release that seems to work for other people. Per the advice of one person on this thread I moved my Panasonc Dect 6 base unit that had been only a few inches from Telo and now it is 7 or 8 feet. Can anyone else confirm that separating them is considered to be a good idea for better "service and call quality - lack of interference"?

You did the right thing by moving the Panasonc Dect 6 base unit away from the Ooma device. Ooma recommends that the Ooma devices be positioned about three or four feet away from all other electronic or electrial devices for best performance.
#101405 by murphy
Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:38 am
lite1 wrote:FWIW I had posted much earlier in thread and was the one that indicated that rolling back to firmware 52493 had solved things for me. I will probably wait on requesting that firmware be rolled forward (61648) to what seems like a recent release that seems to work for other people. Per the advice of one person on this thread I moved my Panasonc Dect 6 base unit that had been only a few inches from Telo and now it is 7 or 8 feet. Can anyone else confirm that separating them is considered to be a good idea for better "service and call quality - lack of interference"?

The Telo has a DECT 6 transmitter and receiver as does the Panasonic base.
If they are sitting side by side the transmitter of one can desense the receiver of the other.
(Similar to trying to listen to a soft talking person while a loud mouth is screaming into your ear.)
Moving them far apart is the best approach.
#101415 by lite1
Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Thanks for information. Does a distance of 7 to 8 feet seem adequate? That is line of sight and there are no intervening walls.