This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#100229 by oostburg
Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:04 pm
My callers are also complaining of hearing THEIR voice echoing. Just started after new update a few days ago. Also noticed that when I call a busy phone number, I hear a brief ring and then it goes to a busy signal.
#100238 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:12 pm
oostburg wrote:My callers are also complaining of hearing THEIR voice echoing. Just started after new update a few days ago. Also noticed that when I call a busy phone number, I hear a brief ring and then it goes to a busy signal.

To help with the echo problem try this procedure. So far one person has reported that this procedure has helped him.

Dial *#*#301 and see if going to the old handset version 60080 firmware helps. Entering *#*#301 will cause the Ooma Telo to shut down and then do a reboot while it's loading the old Ooma Telo Handset version 60080 firmware. If you dial *#*#301 and get a beep, the Ooma Telo will reboot. If you dial *#*#301 and get a busy signal, the Ooma Telo is already in the old handset mode.

Be sure to power cycle the Modem after you do this procedure.
#100264 by lite1
Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:03 am
lite1 wrote:This did NOT work for me. I got single beep and Telo rebooted, but still echo. I have NOT power cycled everything, and will do so later and will only report back if that second step cures things. Obviously this is most annoying and drastically reduces call quality and usefulness. I am going to be seeking compensation from Ooma for lack of service.

Thunderbird: Ooma is planning to roll back my firmware to earlier version which was relatively trouble free. Do you think this is a good idea? If it is and this resolves things, then others might find this workaround of value.

Ooma has been quite incompetent in handling this whole thing in my opinion and has wasted a great deal more of my time. I needed to get bumped up 4 levels of customer support (not tech support) in order to have someone who seemingly has the authority to order a firmware rollback.
#100266 by thunderbird
Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 pm
lite1 wrote:
lite1 wrote:This did NOT work for me. I got single beep and Telo rebooted, but still echo. I have NOT power cycled everything, and will do so later and will only report back if that second step cures things. Obviously this is most annoying and drastically reduces call quality and usefulness. I am going to be seeking compensation from Ooma for lack of service.

Thunderbird: Ooma is planning to roll back my firmware to earlier version which was relatively trouble free. Do you think this is a good idea? If it is and this resolves things, then others might find this workaround of value.

Ooma has been quite incompetent in handling this whole thing in my opinion and has wasted a great deal more of my time. I needed to get bumped up 4 levels of customer support (not tech support) in order to have someone who seemingly has the authority to order a firmware rollback.

Yes, have the Firmware rolled back. If nothing else, it will be a great test. Please be sure and report what happens.
#100355 by lite1
Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:33 am
I also was having echo problem as described in earlier posts. Firmware was rolled back by Ooma to version 52943 and so far this morning this workaround has resolved the problem. If echo shows up again, I will report back.

Additional notes I had to go to a really high level of customer support before a "manager" suggested rolling back, but hopefully anyone else wanting to try this can do it more quickly through people on the technical support side of Ooma.

When I asked "manager" in your experience with these roll backs when might I expect it to be completed? Answer I don't know. PUshing further and asking, can I expect it in the next hour, next day, next week - answer probably NOT today. Ok that sets one end of the range, what about the likely maximum. No answer ... sure doesn't help me plan what to do.
Anyway it took 3 days to get the rollback. I was promised an email when it occurred, but this was not forthcoming.

Glad that things seem to work for now, but still not impressed with Ooma customer care on this whole thing which get a grade of C- from me. This morning I was looking at website forum of an alternate VOIP service and while staff are responsive on the forum, from a cursory look it seems that poor customer care and tech trouble shooting comes with the territory of VOIP. Have no other exp., but perhaps overall Ooma is a grade of B-; yet they often blow it for individual problems. This forum however deserves from an A- to to A+ and without it I would have abandoned Ooma months ago.

===============
Suggestion to all
I'd like to start a campaign if others think it is a good idea - inform customers by email, and give choice for early adoption of new firmware:
1) Ooma should email everyone a week or so before they plan to roll out a new firmware so they can let us know how great it will be, and all customers can have a heads up.

2) When things are actually pushed to a particular customer, they send another email so that one knows that they are on the new firmware. For us on the forum this then means we can sense whether there are improvements or bugs. I know you can dial *#*#001 to have the Telo speaker announce what firmware it is on, but why should we have to do that daily to find out what is going on.

3) They should have a list for customers who want to have any new firmware come to them early on in what seems like a three week roll out/push of it to each user. For those like me who had echo problems with 60080, I might want to accelerate/or wait for the newest firmware depending on my level of confidence that it had addressed the echo problem. I think if I had minor annoyances with a new firmware that I might be interested in getting the subsequent revision ASAP. Essentially have Ooma give customers some say in whether they are an early guinea pig.
#100923 by stuckincube
Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:16 pm
I got my ooma telo back in August and it worked fine. So I proceed to port my existing landline # and cancel the service. Then in the past week or more I started getting complaints from callers they could hear their own voice as an echo. ARG!!! Finally did a search on google this eve and came across this thread. Great news of potential option to switch to older firmware. Did the *#*#301. Hopefully this fixes it; will report back.

UPDATE Oct 1
Switching to older firmware seems to have cleared things up for me.
I'm using Panasonic DECT phone base+phone plugged directly into Ooma with 3 Panasonic extenders that communicate with the base.
Last edited by stuckincube on Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#100924 by lite1
Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:11 pm
Since roll back to earlier firmware, I have not had callers complain about echo so it seems like a stable temporary solution.
#101013 by thunderbird
Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm
whoyougoingtocall wrote:I have the same issue and about to do the rollback of the fireware... however, if it makes the service worse, I want to roll forward again. Is this possible? if so, how? Thanks.

I'd have the firmware rolled back and just see first.

This fall the new HD2 replacement handsets are expected to come out. For sure if this happens, the Ooma Telo firmware will be upgraded again, maybe serveral times. So I wouldn't worry about a roll forward of the firmware. The new HD2 handset firmware upgrades will automatically upgrade your firmware, and by then the new firmware will probably have a fix for the echo problem.

So I would just contact Ooma Customer Support and request the Firmware roll back, if you can't wait for a later Ooma Telo firmware upgrade.