This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99951 by billp
Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:36 am
Hi,

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Problem Description:
1. Caller hears their own voice echo.
2. I hear no echo
3. If I go on mute, caller hears no echo.
4. I use my phone for many calls every day, and caller complaints started on 9/4/12.

Facts:
1. OOMA has firmware version 60080
2. OOMA has been trouble free for years
3. I use Panasonic DECT 6.0 Phone
4. I have made no changes to my setup in many months.

What I have done so far:
1. Power cycled my OOMA, Router and cable modem a few times - no help.
2. Tried using prefix *96 and *98 - no help.
3. Reduced volume - no help
4. Tried different phone - no help
5. Ran Speedtest and changed settings to .8 of measured upload and download rates - no help.

I just ran speedtest again, and here are the results:
Download Speed: 9615 kbps
Upload Speed: 248 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 84%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 84ms
Jitter you server 2.0ms
Jitter server you 1.3ms
Packet loss: you server 0%
Packet loss: server you 0%
Packet discards 0.2%
Packets out of order 0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2
#99969 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:04 pm
With Ooma firmware version 60080, the Ooma Telo has two versions of firmware contained in version 60080. One for the Old Ooma Telo handsets, and one for what will be used for the new HD2 handsets. In another post, an Ooma Telo user reported that he had to change from the new mode firmware, to the old mode firmware, to be able to use his old Ooma Telo handsets. Ooma Customer Support had him enter *#*#301 in a phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port, (Switches to the old Ooma Telo handset firmware).

First if you have Ooma Telo handset(s) and they are working okay, don't do the *#*#301 procedure.

You could enter *#*#301 and see if going to the old handset version 60080 firmware, if it helps with the Echo problem? Entering *#*#301 will cause the Ooma Telo to shut down and then do a reboot while it's loading the old Ooma Telo Handset version 60080 firmware. If you dial *#*#301 and get a beep, the Ooma Telo will reboot. If you dial *#*#301 and get a busy signal, the Ooma Telo is alredy in the old handset mode.

Be sure to power cycle the Modem after you do this procedure.

If anyone does do this procedure, please report the results here in this thread.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#100144 by skiorscuba
Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:13 pm
It worked for me! I have two Ooma Telo devices, the first is about 3 years old and it has been virtually trouble free since I first put it in to service. I have added a second Telo device about 6 weeks ago, and have had sporadic problems with echo at the distant end. I have come across this tread, looking to mitigate this problem, and decided to try the *#*#301. Sure enough, the echo at the distant end disappeared, and the call quality has actually improved. Thank you thunderbird for posting this fix, you have definitely helped me and I am sure many other users will benefit from your post in the future.
#100173 by lite1
Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:42 am
I have nearly identical situation to OP and tried most of those work arounds which I posted in separate thread. I do NOT have any Ooma handsets (old or new style); one single Telo black box which is about 10 months old.

I expect I'll try this fix as I do NOT plan to purchase any Ooma handsets as I have been happy with my Panasonic Dect 6.0 handsets. Will report back when I can try this tonight.

Thunderbird, if for some reason this does NOT work - I guess the only downside is that the echo gets worse or that it creates additional problems. I have a friend a few miles from me with same setup who is on a different node of the same ISP who does NOT have any echo problems. It seems like this bug is random with who/what it victimizes. Is Ooma working on this? Any sense whether firmware update is days (or months) away? Finally since the roll out/push to customers is over upto a 3 week time period is there anyway for a customer (who has bug complaints with current firmware ) to get Ooma to push new firmware to them at the beginning of the roll out? As always thanks for all of your help.
#100178 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:17 am
lite1 wrote:I have nearly identical situation to OP and tried most of those work arounds which I posted in separate thread. I do NOT have any Ooma handsets (old or new style); one single Telo black box which is about 10 months old.

I expect I'll try this fix as I do NOT plan to purchase any Ooma handsets as I have been happy with my Panasonic Dect 6.0 handsets. Will report back when I can try this tonight.

Thunderbird, if for some reason this does NOT work - I guess the only downside is that the echo gets worse or that it creates additional problems. I have a friend a few miles from me with same setup who is on a different node of the same ISP who does NOT have any echo problems. It seems like this bug is random with who/what it victimizes. Is Ooma working on this? Any sense whether firmware update is days (or months) away? Finally since the roll out/push to customers is over upto a 3 week time period is there anyway for a customer (who has bug complaints with current firmware ) to get Ooma to push new firmware to them at the beginning of the roll out? As always thanks for all of your help.

Right now with only one positive report back for this procedure, I'm guessing the most people's firmware loaded the Ooma Telo old handset version firmware. But for a few people, it loaded the new HD2 handset version firmware, and for some reason the new version may be causeing an echo.

I'm sure Ooma is working on this problem.
#100199 by lite1
Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:39 pm
This did NOT work for me. I got single beep and Telo rebooted, but still echo. I have NOT power cycled everything, and will do so later and will only report back if that second step cures things. Obviously this is most annoying and drastically reduces call quality and usefulness. I am going to be seeking compensation from Ooma for lack of service.
#100212 by lite1
Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:12 am
Thunderbird ... I have to borrow a phone in order to try a different phone. My own phone is Panasonic Dect 6 recent model.
#100214 by thunderbird
Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:06 am
lite1 wrote:Thunderbird ... I have to borrow a phone in order to try a different phone. My own phone is Panasonic Dect 6 recent model.

Some times an older corded phone works best for a test?

Do you have any other wireless phones in your home connected to another service. Some times the Wireless phone base will cause echo, even of the Ooma Telo is not connected to the other Wireless phone system. If you do remove power from any Wireless phone base in your home, for this test.