This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99850 by computerdoc
Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:26 pm
This problem recently surfaced and I've gone up to level 3 support. I've tried adjusting the QoS, using a single wired line and replacing my Ooma box. None of this has worked.

It's been in level 3 for about a week and they talked about replacing one of the carriers but is seems to be taking forever.

Should I assume that this problem can't be fixed?
#99895 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:59 am
computerdoc wrote:This problem recently surfaced and I've gone up to level 3 support. I've tried adjusting the QoS, using a single wired line and replacing my Ooma box. None of this has worked.

It's been in level 3 for about a week and they talked about replacing one of the carriers but is seems to be taking forever.

Should I assume that this problem can't be fixed?

Did you try using another phone connected to the Ooma Telo phone port? If not, do so. A DECT 6 phone is preferred.
#99903 by popwireless
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:10 pm
I have the same problem! People I call are complaining of an annoying ECHO that I DO NOT hear. It has my spouse worried because switching from Verizon was my idea. You get the picture.

Ooma is also allowing a call, the other end rings once and then I hear dial tone again.

What's broken?
#99909 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:19 pm
Work arounds until Ooma fixes the problem:
Try dialing with the prefix *96 or *98 before the number.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Also turning down slightly the audio volume in your phone may help.
#99919 by computerdoc
Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:01 pm
Thunderbird,

I used a single, wired line directly attached to the Ooma box with nothing else attached and it didn't help

What does *96 or *98 do?

Popwireless,

My problem is that I hear the echo and not the people that I call.
#99921 by thunderbird
Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:44 pm
computerdoc wrote:Thunderbird,

I used a single, wired line directly attached to the Ooma box with nothing else attached and it didn't help

What does *96 or *98 do?

Popwireless,

My problem is that I hear the echo and not the people that I call.

If only you are hearing the Echo, normally the problem comes from the other party's phone.

But since firmware update 60080, there has been echo reported by several users, on one end of the conversation or the other end, and it probably is being caused by the firmware update.

Using *96 uses the same Codec, but doesn’t use HD.

Using *98 uses a different Codec, which is a wider bandwidth.
#100083 by Hollywood
Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm
computerdoc wrote:My problem is that I hear the echo and not the people that I call.

Add me too. last month or so, just to one person. The other person is on an ATT cell phone. I have a Panasonic DECT6 phone. I hear the sentence I say right after I say it, and it's only to this caller.