This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#8575 by RickO
Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:29 pm
I've brought this up before, but wanted to update the thread and see if anyone is having this same issue, or might have any suggestions. My outbound caller ID shows my ooma phone number fine, but instead of my name, it displays "Private Caller". I've had this problem since day 1, (January 26th). Actually, it originally displayed "Out of Area" until I changed my phone number a couple of months ago with hopes of it helping, but the new number shows "Private" instead of my name.
Here's where it gets a little weird. My name did actually show up on the display for about an hour a couple of times over the months, but then changed back to "Out of Area" or "Private". Just when I started to think the problem was resolved, it would switch back.
Someone at ooma has been working with me on this for quite a while, and she has been absolutely wonderful, (It's folks like her that make ooma great).
Has anyone else had a similar caller ID issue and did it get resolved? I just want to believe that this will get worked out someday. It will make the phone much more useable, since a lot of people won't pick up a call when it displays "Private". Thanks for any suggestions.
#8576 by Mike336
Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:52 pm
I show up as Unknown Caller. I've only been on Ooma for about 3 weeks. I thought that the Caller ID database was not kept with the phone company, but was in a separate system, so I figured I'd be back to normal when I ported my landline number, however, as soon as the port was completed I went to "Unknown" again.

Funny, I have a similar issue with my cell phone. I show up as "Private" or "Unknown" most of the time, but my name shows up if I'm roaming. That number always showed up as unknown when I was with SouthernLinc (not a very good cell provider). I thought it would get fixed when I ported the number over to Alltel. Not exactly. Now my name shows up only when I make a roaming call. If I'm in my home area, it still shows up as a private caller. That's been going on for 3 years.
#8870 by wings
Fri May 01, 2009 8:18 pm
I've been an OOMA user for a couple weeks and have the same problem outbound caller ID shows as 'Unknown'.

I called OOMA support today they apparently made some changes on their end but the problem remains. I will be calling support line tomorrow AM.

My OOMA hub is connected inside my firewall/ ie behind the router. For those who have the same CallerID problem, just curious, how is your hub connected?
#8872 by murphy
Sat May 02, 2009 2:40 am
It can take up to 10 business days for your caller ID information to be distributed to all of the caller ID databases in the country.
#8908 by dlong
Sat May 02, 2009 12:03 pm
RickO to let you know you're not alone, I've also been having the exact caller-id issue. My port was over a month ago, and the outgoing caller-id was perfect at that time. Then 2-3 weeks ago, the outgoing caller-id went bonkers and has been "out of area" ever since. I'll give ooma a call when someone on this board finally reports a successful resolution. I would think there would be a logical reason for this "mystery of the disappearing caller-id" to happen. The caller-id database information needs to propagate only once, right?
#8910 by bryanlyle
Sat May 02, 2009 12:07 pm
What I have yet to understand is, I called Verizon a while back to have my business name changed on the caller id and it was done that same day. Everyone I called showed the correct information (regardless of carrier).

Why would CID information take 10 days to propagate for Ooma?
#8911 by dlong
Sat May 02, 2009 12:12 pm
bryanlyle, I don't think it takes that long. Mine propagated in a day or two, and I had the proper caller-id then after my number ported.
#8917 by mjv5864
Sat May 02, 2009 2:35 pm
I had my folks ooma CID corrected and it was working fine. Now it reverted back to showing the city and state again.
#8962 by bryanlyle
Sun May 03, 2009 3:47 am
dlong wrote:bryanlyle, I don't think it takes that long. Mine propagated in a day or two, and I had the proper caller-id then after my number ported.

I wish I was so lucky. Both my ported number and my second number that I've had for a month show Out of Area when I call folks.

I guess I'll have to call customer service and "complain" :)
#9046 by RickO
Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 am
I did have my name show up for one call late last week, but it went back to displaying "Private" after that.
I have not ported my number out of concern that I would have the same continuing caller ID issue.