This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99676 by tpir72
Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:30 pm
Hi,
I have two OOMA Hubs for two separate lines that were ported from V**age. They are setup Cable Modem - Router - Hubs (not plugged through each other). I have also tried Modem-Hub-Hub-Router.
I have tried the cut-n-paste solutions I see on the forums with zero improvement. Is there a way to use a PAP2 for my OOMA service? I never had this issue using a PAP2 with V**age. I would still pay OOMA for the service but not be stuck on the sensitive OOMA Hubs.
Is the Telo a better piece of hardware or a repackaged Hub in a modern case? Can I have one Telo handle both my ported numbers without paying for premium service instead of buying two Telos?

I am stumped as to why the OOMA devices are so "network fragile" while all other devices just purr along without a hick-up.

Regards,

Terry
#99679 by thunderbird
Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 am
tpir72 wrote:Hi,
I have two OOMA Hubs for two separate lines that were ported from V**age. They are setup Cable Modem - Router - Hubs (not plugged through each other). I have also tried Modem-Hub-Hub-Router.
I have tried the cut-n-paste solutions I see on the forums with zero improvement. Is there a way to use a PAP2 for my OOMA service? I never had this issue using a PAP2 with V**age. I would still pay OOMA for the service but not be stuck on the sensitive OOMA Hubs.
Is the Telo a better piece of hardware or a repackaged Hub in a modern case? Can I have one Telo handle both my ported numbers without paying for premium service instead of buying two Telos?

I am stumped as to why the OOMA devices are so "network fragile" while all other devices just purr along without a hick-up.

Regards,

Terry

For dropped calls, have you set the MAC address to "Use Built In" in Ooma Setup under INTERNET Port MAC Address: ?
Also if you are connected Modem-Router-Ooma, set the Ooma Setup Quality of Service settings for both upstream and downstream to zero.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#99733 by tpir72
Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:25 am
Thanks.... Here's the info:

Download Speed: 16166 kbps
Upload Speed: 5255 kbps
Download Consistency of Service 97%
Upload Consistency of Service 32%
Maximum TCP Delay 51ms
Jitter you server 0.9ms
Jitter server you 0.9ms
Packet loss: you server 0.0%
Packet loss: server you 0.0%
Packet discards 0.0%
Packets out of order 0.0%
Estimated MOS score 4.2
#99734 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:35 am
tpir72:
Your Phonepower Speed test results are okay with the exception of the Upload Consistency of Service 32% (normally around 80%), which because of your Upload bandwidth, should still function properly.

Low Upload Consistency of Service 32% is probably a Modem problem. Reboot Modem, then run Phonepower Speedtest again. Note: Some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem reboot or Reset, reference the Modem Owner's Manual for procedures.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#99758 by tpir72
Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:55 pm
Thanks. I have already done the lower half of your reply with zero improvement. There have been suggestions from OOMA support that the modem may be an issue so that was replaced with a Motorola DOCSYS 3 unit six months ago. No change.

Next there was an OOMA suggestion that it might be the Router. That was replaced around 5 months ago. No change.

There was an un-managed switch connected to the router for other devices unrelated to OOMA. Even that was replaced. No change. All I have left to replace is the Cat5 cable and the wall outlet.

Oh wait, there is one more device to replace.... the OOMA....

Oh, did I mention that now today there is a significant echo and delay in talk/listen to add to the mix...

Is there an official upgrade path to the Telo other than coughing up another $150?
I have two OOMA hubs. Does this mean I have to buy two Telos or pay for premium service?

Frustrated.... yes.....
#99760 by thunderbird
Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:03 pm
tpir72:
I'm thinking about the low upload consistency of service as detected by Phonepower Speedtest.
Do you have any splices or splitters in the Internet Service cable coming in from the street to the Modem? If so examine all of the fittings and connections for proper tightness and cable crimp at the fittings. If possible, if there are splitters in this cable, see if you can temporarily connect the cables to bypass the splitters in the cable, then test. If the cable is old and "ratty" looking, you might consider replacing it.

Next:
Go into your Router and reserve an IP address with a permanent lease for each Ooma Hub.

Next:
Have you tried to Factory Reset you Ooma Hubs? To have two Ooma Hubs drop the call after twenty seconds probably rules out the Ooma Hubs as the problem, but give the Factory reset a try any way.

(Notice that you can do a factory reset of the Scout also).

Hub and/or Scout factory reset sequence:

1) Remove the power for the Ooma device.
2) Hold down the Ooma tab [blue light] and connect the power. Hold for 30 seconds until all the lights start flashing.

Once the lights stop flashing, release the Ooma tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

Some people say they have to do the reset several times in a row before they have success.

Note: after the factory reset is accomplished, be sure to go back into Ooma Setup and change the MAC address setting from Automatic, to Use Built In MAC address. Make any other changes that are needed in Ooma Setup, like setting you Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream settings to Zero for a Modem-Router-Ooma Connection.

Next if none of the above suggestions work:
Connect your setup as follows, Modem-Ooma Hub-Router-Ooma Hub. Check and see if the Ooma Hub connected to the Modem stays connected longer then the Omoa Hub connected to the Router or is about the same. Then switch Ooma Hub positions and check again.

If it is about the same for each test, the problem is probably with the Internet provider signal.