This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#99090 by jcarroca
Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:07 am
I have verizon dsl with 1184/448 line. Been having call quality issues for over a year now. This is a problem only when the internet is being used for video streaming, kids games etc. Also, my kids have two ipads and I have a laptop in addition to a desktop computer. When there is this kind of load on the bandwidth, voice quality is extremely garbled. I have a linksys wireless router and a DSL Modem. The homenetwork jack is connectd to the internet jack on the linksys and the to internet jack is connected to the DSL data jack on the DSL modem and the DSL jack on the modem is connected to the line on the wall. I have QOS enabled on the OOMA:

Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): 305
Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): 750

This is not working well, since I can not use my phone if there is intensive bandwidth use. My thought was that if a phone call was recieved/used the OOma would prioritize the call with the best quality to sacrifice the internet use but it is not.
Please see attached print screen of the VOIP Speed test that I performed. I could not place it here. Please help. Thanks.
#99093 by lbmofo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:32 am
Usually, when the internet download speed is high, the download QoS is recommended to be 0 (disabled) but since your download isn't very high, probably a good idea to set it.

With that said, go to http://speedtest.net and measure download/upload and set the Ooma QoS to 80%-90% of what you measure (come up with nice rounded numbers).

Make sure nothing can connect to your DSL modem (a lot of them are modem/router combo) via wifi.
#99095 by thunderbird
Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:37 am
jcarroca:
It appears that your Internet service bandwidth or speed is too slow to support more than one device at a time. You will probably have to subscribe to an Internet service with a faster speed if you want to operate more than one device at a time. Example: Using Ooma and a Computer doing a download.

Quote:
"Ooma is engineered for great voice quality but you will need a high-speed Internet connection equivalent to at least a typical DSL connection with 384 kbps upstream and downstream.

Go to this site http://ca.ooma.com/help-me and run the test: Test Your Speed".