This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#98881 by Solie
Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:43 pm
People telling my voice is breaking up on the phone. Some time line just drops without any indication. The parties keep talking unaware that line has dropped.

My configuration

TimeWarner Cable splits: 1=====> TWC Modem => Ooma Telo=> Netgear Router => laptop
2 =====> TV outlet
My TWC supposed to give me 10/1 MBPS down/upload. I test the line right after a problem and I see an upload of between .21 to .26. I call TWC, they reset the modem (or that what they say) and my speed picks up .97-.98 only to go down again couple of hours or couple days later. TWC tech came and changed modem also changed splitter so less bandwidth would go to TV. Ok for a few hours and problem again.

Called TWC tier 3, they are blaming it on the Ooma. Asked me to speedtest without Ooma in the picture. Wife and I seldom watch TV. Major purpose of cable service is the Ooma. If speed drops because of Ooma, I will cancel this Internet service.

Is there any settings on the Ooma that can help?
Is there Microcode/software upgrade on Ooma to be done that can help?
Any other help is greatly appreciated

I read some older threads about Ooma settings. Not sure still valid and applies to my case. Thanks.
#98885 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 pm
Solie:
Try this first:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next if you continue to have problems and only if you connection is Modem-Ooma-Router:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.
#98922 by Solie
Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:39 pm
Thanks Everyone: Boy, I am learning so much here. Thanks

I check tonight and report the progress.

My down load speed varies anywhere between .23 to .98 mbps. When I complain to ISP, they blame it on Ooma.
But now i can look at the modem myself. My current config is modem-Ooma-router . Is this preferred over modem-router-ooma?
#98925 by murphy
Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:51 pm
Solie wrote:Thanks Everyone: Boy, I am learning so much here. Thanks

I check tonight and report the progress.

My down load speed varies anywhere between .23 to .98 mbps. When I complain to ISP, they blame it on Ooma.
But now i can look at the modem myself. My current config is modem-Ooma-router . Is this preferred over modem-router-ooma?

I prefer modem - router - ooma because I have a gigabit network and ooma doesn't do gigabit.
I have been configured that way since January 2009 and it works fine.
#98946 by Solie
Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:06 am
I did some tests, 7:10 am Friday,
Speedtest.net .....download 19.4 / Upload: receive error "upload test error, could not read the upload file" Sometimes in my past tests I receive "Latency Error"
TWC speedtest download 12.28/ Upload still running after 2 mins. I cancelled it.
Phonepower.net test results:
---------------------
Download speed: 17611 kbps
Upload speed: 984 kbps
Download consistency of service: 35 %
Upload consistency of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 55 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 26 ms
Average round trip time to server: 27 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 17611 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 20164 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

I am connected Modem-Ooma-Netgear Router-Laptop

Back to speedtest.net upload 18.98/ download take >4 mins hovers around .98, I cancel it again

Looking at Modem Cisco at 192.168.100.1
Hardware Version 2.1
Software Version dpc2100rx-v202r1256-110531Uas-TWC
Receive Power Level -2.3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio 38.6 dBmV
Transmit Power Level 49.9 dBmV
Cable Modem Status Operational

I do not know what to do now. Nos seems OK? Why "upload read error" "latency error" should I reset modem to factory default.

My coax cabling was installed 6 month ago. seems fairly simple. Only on splitter b4 the router that goes to TV.
#98947 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 am
Solie, your number look fine. The modem paramters look okay too. But don't know what this upload error is all about. upload is the part you would have problems with people hearing you. Perhaps, swap out the modem and check?
#99354 by sdarisi
Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:33 pm
Hi,

I have the same exact setup - TWC internet with 10 down / 1 Up. I noticed when I connect in the following order:

TWC modem --> Ooma --> Netgear router

the internet connection degrades over a 24 hour period.

A reboot of the entire setup fixes it for another 24 hours or so else your experience of the Internet goes back to the dialup era.....yes, it gets that bad!

However, the setup of

TWC modem --> Netgear Router --> Ooma

does not impact the internet speeds and this is what I have settled on

However, I continue to be plagued by the occassional poor quality of Ooma calls....distorted voice midway during a call, breakup of calls for 2 - 5 seconds, etc....still hopeful that I can make this work
#99355 by thunderbird
Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm
sdarisi:
First:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Second:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to Zero for a Modem-Router-Ooma connection.