This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#98368 by JumpingJackFlash
Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:22 pm
I reserved DHCP IP address for Ooma and set QoS up using mac address. Tried both normal and medium QoS settings. But callers complain I'm breaking up. I'm using Time Warner Cable and have decent bandwidth up and down. Can anyone help?
#98379 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:14 am
JumpingJackFlash wrote:I reserved DHCP IP address for Ooma and set QoS up using mac address. Tried both normal and medium QoS settings. But callers complain I'm breaking up. I'm using Time Warner Cable and have decent bandwidth up and down. Can anyone help?

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#98415 by JumpingJackFlash
Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:37 pm
No better. I'm not talking about a little bit of breaking up. The other party cannot make out what I'm saying at all. I even tried changing the configuration to Modem<->Ooma<->Router and removing the QoS setting in my router.

Funny, because everything seemed to be okay until I decided to port over my number.

This is unusable at this point. What else can we try?
#98416 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:45 pm
Does your internet quality check out?

You mention that you have had this problem only after the port....is your other number still there in the account?

You can try making calls using that number by dialing **1 dialing prefix. See if no issue making calls that way.

Perhaps, your issue is due to the Ooma carrier you have. Maybe the Ooma assigned number and your ported in number does not have the same carrier. Look up both numbers here: http://tnid.us and see who the current carrier is.

If you find that **1 dialing prefix works okay, try *99 or *98 as dialing prefix (will use your primary number to call out but using full bandwidth protocol vs Ooma's iLBC). If that works, then *99 or *98 would be your temporary workaround; log a ticket with Ooma to address carrier related issue with your primary number.
#98418 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:22 pm
JumpingJackFlash wrote:No better. I'm not talking about a little bit of breaking up. The other party cannot make out what I'm saying at all. I even tried changing the configuration to Modem<->Ooma<->Router and removing the QoS setting in my router.

Funny, because everything seemed to be okay until I decided to port over my number.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#98420 by JumpingJackFlash
Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:25 pm
thunderbird wrote:
JumpingJackFlash wrote:No better. I'm not talking about a little bit of breaking up. The other party cannot make out what I'm saying at all. I even tried changing the configuration to Modem<->Ooma<->Router and removing the QoS setting in my router.

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: __4479_kbps_____________
Upload Speed: ___898kbps_____________
Download Consistency of Service __52%______
Upload Consistency of Service __94%_______
Maximum TCP Delay ____159ms_________
Jitter you server 13.9ms__________
Jitter server you __1.3ms_______
Packet loss: you server___0____
Packet loss: server you ___0.2%___
Packet discards __1%_______
Packets out of order _0________
Estimated MOS score _3.9_______

I chatted with someone at Ooma and we found high jitter. She had me go into the Advanced tab of the device and change the up and download to 500 and 550. It was 384 and 0 previously. Now the phone disconnects when the other person starts talking. These scores are the result of the change she had me make.
#98421 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:29 pm
JumpingJackFlash, did you just downgrade your cable Internet to a lite version? Or did you have the same package before you ported? In either case, your Internet quality doesn't look too good. People say how cable company caps speed isn't good for VoIP. High tcp delay, high jitter, packet discards & loss etc. Take a look at your modem and see what it looks like: viewtopic.php?t=10023
Might be something going on with your line condition or bad modem.
Btw, with those up down speeds, disable the down by setting to 0 and set up QoS to 700.
#98426 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:54 am
JumpingJackFlash:

Jitter you server 13.9ms__________Should be less than 5ms
Packet loss: server you ___0.2%____Should be ZERO
Packet discards __1%_____________Should be ZERO

This could be a problem with your Modem or Internet provider signal.

First try rebooting or if you Modem does a reset, do a reset of your Modem, reference your Modem Owner's manual.

Note: some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful reboot or reset of the Modem.

If you still have problems after the Modem reboot or reset, try another Modem.

If another Modem doesn't help, contact your Internet provider.
#98432 by JumpingJackFlash
Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:59 am
Yep. Well I contacted the cable company this morning (TW). They came out and changed the cable modem and now my jitter skyrockets to 100-140. My speeds are also lower according to your tests. I called them back and asked for my old modem back, and they are giving me a hard time about returning it. When I tried to explain about the jitter problem to one of the local VPs he said what is jitter? Is that a Time Warner term? Is there a TW test for jitter? So another words, they absolutely refuse to recognize jitter. Now what? I'm stuck with a worthless phone device and subscription to Ooma premium under the Groupon deal? It's strange that everything was working fine until I decided to port over my phone number. Only then did Ooma crap out. Why is that? Surely there must be other people out there with similar experiences. I find it hard to believe I'm the only one.