This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#98179 by arthur
Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm
just started having call quality problems after months of good quality. I now have chopped sentences, echoes, and delays. What can I do before my wife makes me have to deal with AT&T AGAIN?
#98189 by thunderbird
Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:48 am
arthur wrote:just started having call quality problems after months of good quality. I now have chopped sentences, echoes, and delays. What can I do before my wife makes me have to deal with AT&T AGAIN?

If your Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, you probably have to increase the Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service. Upload Internet speed.

If you Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, do the following:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you continue to have problems:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#99476 by gks
Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:45 pm
thunderbird wrote:
arthur wrote:just started having call quality problems after months of good quality. I now have chopped sentences, echoes, and delays. What can I do before my wife makes me have to deal with AT&T AGAIN?

If your Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, you probably have to increase the Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service. Upload Internet speed.

If you Ooma is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, do the following:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

If you continue to have problems:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: 6508 kbps
Upload Speed: 2181 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 8%
Upload Consistency of Service: 59%
Maximum TCP Delay: 977 ms
Jitter you server: 3.6 ms
Jitter server you: 2.3 ms
Packet loss: you server: 0%
Packet loss: server you: 0%
Packet discards: 0%
Packets out of order: 0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.1
#99478 by thunderbird
Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:42 pm
gks:
I'm guessing, since your MOS score is 4.1, that the Download Consistency of Service is really 80% ?
But your Maximum TCP Delay delay is terrible and is probably what is causing the problem. It should be around 100ms or less.
Download Consistency of Service: 8%
Upload Consistency of Service: 59%
Maximum TCP Delay: 977 ms

Who is your Internet provider?

Check all of the connections, of the Internet cable coming in from the street, for tightness, and condition.

Try a temporary Connection of Modem-Ooma-Computer. After rebooting everything, run Phonepower Spredtest again and see if Maximum TCP Delay is better.

If it isn't, your could do a Modem Reset, if your Modem has a reset feature, reference your Modem owner's manual. Note: Some Modems contain backup batteries, that must be temporarily remove for a successful Modem reboot or reset, reference your Modem owner's manual.
try another Modem or contact your internet provider and see if they can do something.
#99520 by mfignewton77
Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm
Download Speed: 6895kbps
Upload Speed: 1487kbps
Download Consistency of Service 81%
Upload Consistency of Service 99%
Maximum TCP Delay 62ms
Jitter you server 0.2ms
Jitter server you 3.7ms
Packet loss: you server_0.0%
Packet loss: server you _0.0%
Packet discards _0.0%
Packets out of order _0.0%
Estimated MOS score __4.1__thunderbird

i have really bad delay what can i do to help this. I went into my modem/router Att 2wire and changed it to full duplex.
#99523 by thunderbird
Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:01 pm
mfignewton77:
Your Phonepower reading are good.

Sometimes using a DECT 6 phone helps.

When you speak into the phone and the other person speaks into the phone at the same time, does one of you block the other's conversation? That is half-duplex conversation or sometimes called one way conversation. This is usually caused by a misconfigured or defective Modem. Try another Modem/Router and see if it improves.

If you just have delay, but not half-duplex conversation, the problem is, if not with the phone that you are using, probably on the Ooma Side. For that contact Ooma Customer Service:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#99531 by mfignewton77
Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 am
Thanks thunderbird i will check this out. I do have the panasonic dect 6.0 cordless phone. I changed the modem/router to full duplex but i will see it it changed anything about the one way conversation. I pretty much just have a delay. I also went into ooma and changed the Qos to all zero's.
#101113 by Clemsonu88
Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:25 pm
Thunderbird,

I'm having a lag problem with my Ooma phone that I didn't have when I had Time Warner VoIP. I've got AT&T DSL, and here are the numbers for the speed test.

Download speed: 1256 kbps
Upload speed: 182 kbps
Download consistency of service: 90%
Upload consistency of service: 68%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 174 ms
Average download pause: 8 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 97 ms
Average round trip time to server: 103 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1280 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.018933
Download TCP forced idle: 0%
Maximum route speed: 5404 kbps

VoIP test statistics
----------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Also, I tried typing http://172.27.35.1 into my browser (tried both Firefox & Internet Explorer), and both said they couldn't access that website. I have a refurbished Ooma device plugged into a NetGear 7550 router/modem STYLE: GADSL. I couldn't get access to the Ooma device to see if any of the settings need to be changed to what you mentioned to the other users.

Any suggestions or ideas? I don't mind resetting the pc, Ooma device, & router/modem (and may try that before I hear from you), but that seems like a temporary "Am I really going to have to reset everything regularly?" solution. :D

Thanks,
Grubb