This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#98158 by Tinkerbell
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am
I have had multiple people tell me that they hear tones during the call as if I am hitting the keypad. I have contacted Ooma and they tell me to tell my cable internet provider which is Suddenlink to turn down the jitter. I contacted them and they had no idea what I was talking about. I would like to know how to correct this because it is very annoying for the people I am on the phone talking to. I have the telo system with the telo handset for my office line and my own home phone which has a base and two cordless handsets in the house. The keypad sound is happening on my cordless handset system not the telo or at least no clients have told me they hear it. I have a modem/router combo and I am not overly tech savy so if anyone out there can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it.
#98164 by murphy
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:36 am
Its an age old problem going all the way back to the introduction of touchtone dialing.
It happens more often to female voices than to male voices.
A touchtone consists of two simultaneous sine waves.
If your voice happens to create the two tones at the same time it will be detected as a touchtone by the Oome touchtone regerenator circuitry and turned into a full fledged touchtone. If you can turn down the volume on the phone you are using it may help. The bottom line is that it is an Ooma problem. Their touchtone decoder circuitry is tripping on too short of a tone sequence.

The statement about telling your ISP to reduce its jitter is pure nonsense. Jitter has nothing to do with the problem.
#98166 by Tinkerbell
Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:55 am
So I just have to learn to live with people telling me about those annoying touchtone sounds or get rid of my ooma. I already turned down the volume on my phone and that didn't work so I guess I am out of options. For a $200 phone system the problems seem to outweigh the system. I may just go back to the landline system. Thanks for the help.
#98167 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 am
Tinkerbell wrote:I have had multiple people tell me that they hear tones during the call as if I am hitting the keypad. I have contacted Ooma and they tell me to tell my cable internet provider which is Suddenlink to turn down the jitter. I contacted them and they had no idea what I was talking about. I would like to know how to correct this because it is very annoying for the people I am on the phone talking to. I have the telo system with the telo handset for my office line and my own home phone which has a base and two cordless handsets in the house. The keypad sound is happening on my cordless handset system not the telo or at least no clients have told me they hear it. I have a modem/router combo and I am not overly tech savy so if anyone out there can help me in any way I would greatly appreciate it.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#98168 by Tinkerbell
Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:44 am
Thunderbird I have contacted them twice. The first time the woman said very matter of factly to tell my internet provider to turn down the jitter and they thought I was crazy. The second time the woman just kept saying read this page or this page but had no idea what to tell me. There was something about an item that you can put on the system which is similar to the filter for a dsl phone line but I couldn't find anything about how old the post was etc.
Thanks for the help Ooma is getting to be less and less attractive by the day.
#98169 by lbmofo
Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 pm
Tinkerbell wrote:So I just have to learn to live with people telling me about those annoying touchtone sounds or get rid of my ooma. I already turned down the volume on my phone and that didn't work so I guess I am out of options. For a $200 phone system the problems seem to outweigh the system. I may just go back to the landline system. Thanks for the help.

Recently, I experienced this "DTMF Talkoff" issue when I was talking to my uncle (Ooma user). I noticed that the DTMF Talkoff I heard from his end was more often than usual. More often means several during a phone call that might last 1/2 hour vs maybe at most 1 or none (none most of the time).

Anyway, turns out he changed his DECT 6 phone system from an older Panasonic to a newer Panasonic model (a lot more expensive model I might add) that contributed to this issue. I also found that if I used my cell to talk to him vs my work phone, it got a lot better. So played around with this situation to see how we could get rid of it..turning down his phone volume etc....

At the end, what worked (even with me talking to him on my work phone) is that he simply moved his mouth a bit further away from the microphone on his Panasonic.