This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97864 by pc22
Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:00 pm
This is driving me crazy - my OOMA telo keeps losing connectivity to their servers - several times an hour (the coma symbol on the telo goes red), and often during a call, so the service is basically unusable. we're tried swapping the telo out for another one - same results. this is with century link (quest) 7192/896 dsl service. there are many entries in my actiontec modem of the sort:

(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: No response for DNS request to server 205.171.2.25 yet.
(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=85,srcip=192.168.0.1, url=r._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: All DNS servers tried, no response.
(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: No response for DNS request to server 205.171.2.25 yet.
(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=86,srcip=192.168.0.1, url=db._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:20:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: All DNS servers tried, no response.
(GMT-08:00)07:21:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=85,srcip=8.8.4.4, url=b._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:21:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=86,srcip=8.8.4.4, url=db._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:21:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=85,srcip=8.8.4.4, url=r._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:21:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=86,srcip=8.8.4.4, url=dr._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:21:45 Fri Jul 13 2012 syslog: failed dns request len=86,srcip=8.8.4.4, url=lb._dns-sd._udp.0.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
(GMT-08:00)07:21:54 Fri Jul 13 2012 udhcpd: sending ACK to 192.168.0.11
(GMT-08:00)07:21:54 Fri Jul 13 2012 udhcpd: ADD 00:18:61:08:6f:13 192.168.0.11 86400

205.171.2.25 is qwest dns. i have the dsl model set to use google open dns. 8.8.4.4

i'm also concerned about my dsl stats which are:

Far end CRC 1968/0
Near end CRC 1/0
Far end FEC 239192/0
Near end FEC 1768/0
SNR 9/16

this is all over 2 million packets sent/received since reboot. the far end FEC looks like 10% of packets - really high. is this
something i should complain to century link about? anyone seen things like this before? thanks in advance.
#97876 by murphy
Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:27 am
I don't know DSL but if you are loosing 10% of your packets that is an extremely bad connection. The packet loss should be zero.
#97880 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:51 am
pc22:
Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#97882 by pc22
Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:48 am
Here's the results:

Download Speed: ___4351kbps_____________
Upload Speed: ______764kbps__________
Download Consistency of Service __66%______
Upload Consistency of Service ____99%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ________252ms_____
Jitter you server _____5.8ms_____
Jitter server you _____1.3ms____
Packet loss: you server___0.0%____
Packet loss: server you __0.0%____
Packet discards ____2.0%_____
Packets out of order ___0.0______
Estimated MOS score ___4.1_____

but, what i'm seeing is *inconsistency* of service. it's fine around 90% of the time; the other 10% the calls get dropped, and i get a fast busy dial tone trying to initiate a call.
#97883 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:20 am
pc22 wrote:Here's the results:

Download Speed: ___4351kbps_____________
Upload Speed: ______764kbps__________
Download Consistency of Service __66%______
Upload Consistency of Service ____99%_____
Maximum TCP Delay ________252ms_____
Jitter you server _____5.8ms_____
Jitter server you _____1.3ms____
Packet loss: you server___0.0%____
Packet loss: server you __0.0%____
Packet discards ____2.0%_____
Packets out of order ___0.0______
Estimated MOS score ___4.1_____

but, what i'm seeing is *inconsistency* of service. it's fine around 90% of the time; the other 10% the calls get dropped, and i get a fast busy dial tone trying to initiate a call.


Jitter you server _____5.8ms________is slightly high, should be less then 5 ms
Packet discards ____2.0%___________Should be Zero

This is an indication that there may be a problem with your Modem or Internet provider signal.
Check your Modem manufacture's Owner Manual and see if there is a reset function for the Modem.
If so, do a Modem reset. If you Modem contains batteries, they must be temporarily removed to have a successful Modem Reset or reboot.

Then Run Phonepower and see if your Packet discards go to Zero.


If you haven't done so already, do the following.
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests