This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97779 by 40winks
Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:04 pm
There is a problem calling area code 785. There are times when I cannot get connected at all. Other times I can hear them but they cannot hear me. Some times, after they answer, the call is dropped and they think it is a trick call. They can call me without a problem so it just seems to be a "one way" problem. I have unplugged Ooma and replugged at different intervals and some times this helps, and some times not. It is my mother-in-law, no jokes please. The exchange is 343 and in small town western Kansas. Golden Bell is there phone carrier but, like I said, there is no problem calling me. I called Ooma tech support but they were not much help.
Thanks,
Bill
#97784 by thunderbird
Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:19 am
40winks wrote:There is a problem calling area code 785. There are times when I cannot get connected at all. Other times I can hear them but they cannot hear me. Some times, after they answer, the call is dropped and they think it is a trick call. They can call me without a problem so it just seems to be a "one way" problem. I have unplugged Ooma and replugged at different intervals and some times this helps, and some times not. It is my mother-in-law, no jokes please. The exchange is 343 and in small town western Kansas. Golden Bell is there phone carrier but, like I said, there is no problem calling me. I called Ooma tech support but they were not much help.
Thanks,
Bill

As a temporary work around:
For dialing out using an Ooma Telo, try adding prefix *98 or *96 before the number. Example *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx

Next:
If you are using a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
Go to the advanced page. Set the Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps):, and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): to 80% of the Download and Upload speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . (After runing Phonepower, click on the Phonepower Advanced tab to view speeds.) Click on the Update button in Ooma Seup Advanced page, and then reboot your Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router, in order of connection, starting with the Modem.
--OR--
If you are using a Modem-Router-Ooma Connection, temporarily connect a network cable from the Ooma Telo Home port to the wired LAN port of a computer. If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer, temporarily turn Wi-Fi off in the computer. Reboot the Computer. Access Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages opens.
Go to the advanced page. Set the Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps):, and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): to Zero. Click on the Update button in Ooma Seup Advanced page, and then reboot your Modem, Ooma Telo, and Router, in order of connection, starting with the Modem.

Next:
If none of the above helps, the next time you call out and have a problem, remove power from your Modem, then repower the Modem. Make a call to the same number that you had a problem with and see if that makes a difference.
#97841 by 40winks
Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:20 am
I did the procedure for modem-router-ooma and this failed. I did *98 and after another dial tone after the *98, it dialed the 1-785-xxx-xxxx. After several "clicks" the call went through. I will try unplugging/ replugging the modem after a minute next time. I already did that eith the rebooting sequence.
Thanks,
Bill