This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97220 by DC1
Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm
We have had some folks mention that there is static on the line when we are talking to them. I do not think to matters who initiates the call? I do not have a corded phone to see if that makes a difference. Is there a QoS setting that needs to be updated (if so how?)? The Ooma is connected to the modem/router, I have 12Mb service thru Century Link.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
#97244 by abqbill
Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm
There are two configurations for QoS:

1. router -> Telo -> modem -> Internet

This is when your Internet modem and router are two separate devices and the Telo is "in between" the router and modem. In this case you would configure upstream QoS in the Telo and QoS is not needed for your router or router/modem.

2. Telo -> router -> modem -> Internet

This is when the Telo is on the "inside" of your home network behind your router and modem. In this case you would configure upstream QoS in the Telo to 0 and configure QoS on your router or modem/router instead.

If you have a router/modem combination, then you have configuration #2 because the modem/router is a single device.

If you are using the Telo wireless adapter, then you have configuration #2 and you would configure QoS on the router or modem/router.

Of course, your router or modem/router should provide QoS if your Telo is not in configuration #1.

Bill
#97256 by thunderbird
Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:45 am
DC1 wrote:We have had some folks mention that there is static on the line when we are talking to them. I do not think to matters who initiates the call? I do not have a corded phone to see if that makes a difference. Is there a QoS setting that needs to be updated (if so how?)? The Ooma is connected to the modem/router, I have 12Mb service thru Century Link.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Borrow a corded phone. For testing, connect only the corded phone to the Ooma Telo phone port, with all other phones disconnected, then test.
#97271 by DC1
Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm
I will see if one of my neighbors have a corded phone?

What should I change my QoS settings to on my modem? It is enabled, there is no BW allocated (how much?), everything is set to any.

Thanks for the help
#97277 by abqbill
Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 am
DC1 wrote:What should I change my QoS settings to on my modem? It is enabled, there is no BW allocated (how much?), everything is set to any.

That depends on the modem. Different devices have different ways of configuring QoS.

In general, you would configure it such that traffic from your Telo device should be prioritized ahead of other traffic. Depending on your router, some allow QoS based on source MAC (hardware) address or IP address, and some do it by which port on the router the device is connected to.

Bill
#97279 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:36 am
DC1 wrote:I will see if one of my neighbors have a corded phone?

What should I change my QoS settings to on my modem? It is enabled, there is no BW allocated (how much?), everything is set to any.

Thanks for the help

Probably Quality of Service has little to do with your static issue.

Usually there is no setting for Quality of Service in a Modem. If there are QoS settings in your Modem, what is the brand and model number of your Modem?

The Quality of Service settings are usually in the Router, or in the Ooma device, Ooma Setup page. If you are having no other issues with your Ooma phone system, other then the static problem, I would not change the Quality of Service settings.