This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97215 by prabhatmishra
Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:26 pm
I am starting a new thread since this specific situation is not covered under the existing topic on "Buzzing noise". I have been a satisfied user of Ooma for the last 2 and a half years. I have a Telo that is driving my entire house with multiple phones attached to it. My setup is cable modem hooked up to Telo which is hooked to the Router. The upload bandwidth is 4 MB/sec. About 10 days back I started hearing this really annoying buzzing noise on all the phones. There was no change to either the phones nor the power supply nor any other aspect of the Ooma configuration. Talked to the customer service at Ooma and they went over the QoS setting, moving the Telo to after the Router, connecting to a different AC power supply. Their conclusion was that the Telo port driving my phone line was defective. I bought a new Telo but still have the same noise. I am now turning to this group to see if some of you have any insights.

Thanks,

Prabhat
#97216 by thunderbird
Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:43 pm
prabhatmishra wrote:I am starting a new thread since this specific situation is not covered under the existing topic on "Buzzing noise". I have been a satisfied user of Ooma for the last 2 and a half years. I have a Telo that is driving my entire house with multiple phones attached to it. My setup is cable modem hooked up to Telo which is hooked to the Router. The upload bandwidth is 4 MB/sec. About 10 days back I started hearing this really annoying buzzing noise on all the phones. There was no change to either the phones nor the power supply nor any other aspect of the Ooma configuration. Talked to the customer service at Ooma and they went over the QoS setting, moving the Telo to after the Router, connecting to a different AC power supply. Their conclusion was that the Telo port driving my phone line was defective. I bought a new Telo but still have the same noise. I am now turning to this group to see if some of you have any insights.

Thanks,

Prabhat

Since you replaced the Ooma Telo and the buzzing noise is still present, some other device in your home is causing the problem. You must start an isolation process to illiminate the buzzing noise source.

For a place to start, I would start with just a Modem-Ooma and corded phone connection, leaving all other phones and house wiring disconnected for this test. Turn off all other electrical and and electronic equipment nearby the Ooma Telo in your home. This includes all cordless phone base(s) in your home, your router, printers, games, etc. If you are using standby power, turn that off, and connect your Modem and Ooma device to a wall outlet.

If after testing, and you still have the buzzing noise, try a different Modem.
#97217 by murphy
Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:21 pm
Do you have an alarm system connected to the Telo?
I just had to clear a short (nearby lightning strike) in one of the spark gaps connected between the phone wire and earth ground in my alarm panel. Grounding one side of a conventional phone line creates a horrendous buzz.
I don't know what grounding one side of the Telo phone line would sound like (I'm not going to try it) but it can't be good.
#97223 by prabhatmishra
Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:59 pm
Thank you thunderbird and murphy for your replies. I tried what you suggested and it seems that the noise is getting introduced in the house phone wiring. There is no buzz at the home network port of Telo but when it comes back when I connect the home network port to the phone jack of my home. I do have a home alarm but it has not been used in years. I will try to disconnect it to see if that makes a difference.
#97226 by lbmofo
Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:27 pm
Powering off/power back up any phones that require power (of phones connected to your house wiring) to see if noise goes away.

Other than the alarm, disconnect everything currently connected to your phone wires at every jack.

See if noise goes away. Then plug back one by one to isolate the culprit device.

If for some odd reason, there is some new strong RF generated near where you live (starting 10 days ago) and your house wire is picking up the noise as a BIG antenna, you can try shielding your 1st pair by grounding all the other pairs. This requires opening up of the Telephone company side of the NID to connect all the other pairs to the ground bolt; to avoid possible damage to equipment like Ooma, you may want to spare the 2nd pair from grounding in case you plug your Ooma into the 2nd pair.

For your reference, Newer Wire colors:

Older Wire colors:
#97228 by murphy
Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 am
prabhatmishra wrote:Thank you thunderbird and murphy for your replies. I tried what you suggested and it seems that the noise is getting introduced in the house phone wiring. There is no buzz at the home network port of Telo but when it comes back when I connect the home network port to the phone jack of my home. I do have a home alarm but it has not been used in years. I will try to disconnect it to see if that makes a difference.

The Home network port of the Telo is a computer network connection. It must not be connected to your home's phone jacks.
The home's phone jacks must be connected to the Telo's Phone port.
#97299 by prabhatmishra
Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:11 pm
My bad, my phone port is connected to the phone jack, not the network port.

After some more experiments it turns out that if I connect my phone directly to the phone port of Telo there is no noise but it comes back on every phone if I connect the phone port to the wall jack and connect phones to other wall jacks. So, the noise is coming from the house phone line network. The question is how do I go about isolating what is causing it.
#97302 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:48 pm
prabhatmishra wrote:The question is how do I go about isolating what is causing it.

Take a look at post above.
#97303 by thunderbird
Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:04 pm
prabhatmishra wrote:My bad, my phone port is connected to the phone jack, not the network port.

After some more experiments it turns out that if I connect my phone directly to the phone port of Telo there is no noise but it comes back on every phone if I connect the phone port to the wall jack and connect phones to other wall jacks. So, the noise is coming from the house phone line network. The question is how do I go about isolating what is causing it.

First go around the house and disconnect ALL phone cords, fax phone cords, and any other phone cord that is connected to all your home's phone Jacks, in every room and on every level of your home.
Then connect one corded phone and listen for the buzzing.
If the buzzing is gone, reconnect (add) one phone, fax machine, etc, to your home's phone system wiring, at a time. Each time a phone, fax machine, etc. is reconnected, (added to the house phone wiring system), listen with first corded phone still connected to a house phone jack, until you find the problem.

Next:
If you do all of the above, and still have buzzing:
The next place I'd look is where the Old phone service came into the house from the street. Some one may have reconnected the Old phone service phone line(s) at the phone service terminal box at the outside of the house.

Next:
If you still have buzzing, go to each house phone jack in the house. Carefully temporarily remove the jack out of the wall to expose the back of the phone jack, where the phone wires connect to the phone jack terminal screws. Tighten the terminal screws where the wires connect to the terminals.
Test for buzzing.

Next:
If you still have buzzing, go to your home's circuit breaker panel and open one circuit breaker at a time until the buzzing stops. Next dertimine what is connected to that circuit breaker.
#98731 by vaughnsimon
Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm
Buzzing can be caused by problems in your home wiring, and it can be difficult to track down. First, do what others have suggested to ensure no phone or device that is plugged into the phone line is causing the issue. Then, check carefully in your network interface box. Are you disconnected from the phone company? Is there any dampness in there? Does the problem go away or decrease after a few dry days?

Have any of the phone jacks in your house been wet lately? If so, replace that jack.

You may have several cables branching in different directions from your interface box. Try disconnecting them one at a time to see if you can locate the bad one. The problem is usually a ground on one side of the line which you may be able to locate with a multimeter, or you may need professional help.