This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#97079 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:00 am
It seems most (almost all?) users on this forum have a 'modem' but I'm looking for how to improve call quality using wireless ISP (WISP) which is line-of-sight WiFi reception to my rooftop antenna & radio transceiver.

So I'm not sure if this tutorial helps (since I have no modem):
- Optimal Setup for Modem -> Router -> Ooma

But, I did lower my QoS setting from 384 Kbps to 0 as is often suggested.
qos.png
qos.png (50.87 KiB) Viewed 8362 times

My setup is as follows (where ==> indicates a wired connection & --> indicates a wireless connection):
Internet ==> WISP AP --> My rooftop antenna & radio ==> Linksys WRT54G router & radio --> Ooma Telo ==> Telephone
Note: There is no modem because this is line-of-sight WiFi wireless ISP ... sort of like at a hotel or at Starbucks but expressly designed for wireless ISP to customers that have no access to cable or DSL and for whom satellite and/or cellular is too slow.

I just tested my wireless ISP (WISP) VOIP call quality at http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest as just OK:
- Download = 1.81 Mbps
- Upload = 483 Kbps
- Jitter = 1.1 ms
- Packet loss = 1.0 %
- MOS score = 1.0
phonepower.png
phonepower.png (31.4 KiB) Viewed 8373 times

My problem is that the voice quality is barely ok. The problem is the other caller drops out for a second or two (various callers) and I drop out (they say) for a second or so intermittently.

In addition, my kids 'sometimes' use the bandwidth watching videos and playing video games.

Given my MOS score:
5 - Perfect. Like face-to-face conversation or radio reception.
4 - Fair. Imperfections can be perceived, but sound still clear. This is (supposedly) the range for cell phones.
3 - Annoying.
2 - Very annoying. Nearly impossible to communicate.
1 - Impossible to communicate

Q: What advice do you have when there is no modem for how I can improve my Ooma voice quality on WiFi WISP?
Last edited by rocksockdoc on Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:31 pm, edited 6 times in total.
#97081 by thunderbird
Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:21 am
rocksockdoc wrote:I just tested my wireless ISP (WISP) VOIP call quality at http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest as just OK:
- Download = 1.81 Mbps
- Upload = 483 Kbps
- Jitter = 1.1 ms
- Packet loss = 1.0 %
- MOS score = 1.0
phonepower.png

My setup is as follows (where ==> indicates a wired connection & --> indicates a wireless connection):
Internet ==> WISP AP --> My rooftop antenna & radio ==> Linksys WRT54G router & radio --> Ooma Telo ==> Telephone
Note: There is no modem because this is line-of-sight WiFi wireless ISP.

My problem is that the voice quality is barely ok. The problem is the other caller drops out for a second or two (various callers) and I drop out (they say) for a second or so intermittently.

In addition, my kids 'sometimes' use the bandwidth watching videos and playing video games.

Q: What advice do you have for how I can improve my Ooma voice quality?

MOS score = 1.0 is normally 4 or more.

You need to click on the advanced tab and post more of the given values.
#97084 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:52 am
The packet loss and packet discards are ugly but since you have no alternative to ISP (router probably not the culprit), I'd suggest just set router QoS to give your Ooma wifi adapter (based on MAC or based on IP via DHCP IP reservation; I think your WRT54G does QoS based on MAC) the highest priority. If your router doesn't have QoS, then get a later model Linksys.
#97095 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:54 pm
lbmofo wrote:The packet loss and packet discards are ugly but ... you have no alternative to WISP

Yup. The only alternative I have is to pay for a higher WISP speed (as they throttle us down from 4Mbps symmetric depending on the service we purchase from them).

lbmofo wrote:set router QoS to give your Ooma wifi adapter (based on MAC or based on IP via DHCP IP reservation

Hmmm... interesting. I'm assuming the third colum is for the Ooma WiFi USB adapter?
wireless_port.png
wireless_port.png (67.31 KiB) Viewed 8330 times

lbmofo wrote:I think your WRT54G does QoS based on MAC) the highest priority

Hmmm... Googling I find the WRT54G 'does' have a new QsS tab according to Cisco documentation:
- Setting up Quality of Service (QoS) on the WRT54G

cisco wrote:Quality of Service (QoS) functionality with the WRT54G was added with firmware version 2.03.4. You can update the WRT54G’s firmware to have this version or later if you can’t see the QoS sub-tab. For instructions, click here.

That article implies I need later firmware than what I am using. That's odd because I 'thought" I had the latest firmware - yet -the latest firmware version I can find for my V5 router is 1.02.8 which must be lower than 2.03.4 Yet, I do have a QoS tab located here:
gaming.png
gaming.png (187.34 KiB) Viewed 8330 times

Notice, you are correct that this QoS setting in the latest WRT54G firmeware needs the MAC address - but it also takes other values:
linksys wrote:The WRT54G offers three (3) different types of Quality of Service (QoS) options: MAC Address-based, Application-based, and Port-based

So, it looks like I have some reading to do:
Implenting QoS for VOIP in a Linksys router

Interestingly, I might use this method to slow down the kid's computers. They should be doing school work anyway. :)
-
Attachments
(315.79 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Last edited by rocksockdoc on Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#97096 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:07 pm
Here's a snapshot of how I set the Linksys WRT54G QoS for the MAC address of the Ooma Telo WiFi adapter:
qos_setup.png
qos_setup.png (41.78 KiB) Viewed 8327 times

And, since it seemed like a good idea, I also just now set the priority of the Ooma ports (although I have no idea if this is a good idea or not to set the priority of the port itself):
optimize.png
optimize.png (42.36 KiB) Viewed 8327 times
#97097 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:18 pm
I wonder: Does the Ooma WiFi adapter support Wi-Fi MultiMedia (WMM)?
If so, I should probably check that box in the Linksys WRT54G router QoS configuration.
wmm.png
wmm.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 8326 times
#97101 by abqbill
Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm
To see your Ooma wireless adapter's MAC (hardware) address, go to the Ooma setup page, click Status, then Ports. The wireless adapter's hardware (MAC) address is in the third column and appears as a series of 6 hex numbers separated by colons (:), like 0A:1B:2C:3D:4E:5F. You can use this address in your router to specify QoS.

The Automatic QoS speed setting in the router should be disabled, and you should configure the Kbps to about 80% of your rated upload speed.

Bill
#97103 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:19 pm
abqbill wrote:The wireless adapter's hardware (MAC) address is in the third column

Thanks Bill. The third column MAC address is what I used in the Linksys WRT54Gv5 QoS router configuration.

abqbill wrote:The Automatic QoS speed setting in the router should be disabled, and you should configure the Kbps to about 80% of your rated upload speed.

That's a great metric to know. Since my tested upload speed is about 480 Kbps, that means I should set mine to MANUAL and then to about 380 Kbps.

The good news is that the QoS settings 'seemed' to have instantly made a difference in the quality of the phone conversation. This is good. It's still not as good as I like ... but given the settings above ... it's muuuuch better!

Q: Does anyone know if Ooma supports WMM?