This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#96716 by abqbill
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:14 am
Does the Telo's QoS configuration have any effect when the Telo is behind the router? i.e., Internet<-Router<-Telo

This is of concern because I use the Telo's wireless adapter, and as such the Internet<-Telo<-Router configuration cannot be used. To use the wireless adapter, the configuration must be Internet<-Router<-Telo.

My older wireless access point/router combo does not support QoS. Does the Telo's QoS setting have any effect when using the wireless adapter?

Also, in general, what are best practices for QoS when using the Telo's wireless adapter?

Bill
#96718 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:25 am
Set both upstream/downstream to 0 (disable QoS). Telo QoS is meant to control/reserve bandwidth for Ooma if everything else is connected to the "home network" port of Telo. Since Telo is behind your router (with wireless adapter), you don't need Telo QoS (unless you connect a computer or something in Telo's "home network" port and anticipate using lots of bandwidth; you probably don't want to connect anything to Telo's "home network" port).
#96719 by abqbill
Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:31 am
Hi,

So you are saying the Telo's QoS settings are only used in Internet<-Telo<-Router configuration. Is that correct?

All activity on my network is wireless; no wired connections. So how to prioritize Telo VoIP ahead of other network activity going through the wireless router?

Thanks,

Bill
#96721 by abqbill
Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:32 am
Unfortunately my wireless router does not support QoS based on TCP/UDP or MAC/IP; it can only do QoS based on a port (LAN port 1-4) or the wireless port. Since all of my network traffic is wireless, this is not useful.

In my case it would seem that I would experience the best VoIP performance by using a wireless router that supports upstream QoS based on the MAC or IP address of the Telo wireless adapter dongle. Is this correct?

If so, any recommendations?

Thanks,

Bill
#96722 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:40 am
Correct.

I don't have much experience with all the routers out there but I did play with a Linksys WRT310N. It is cheap and seems to work very well. I am not a fan of dual band because I don't have a need for it (yet) and I find 5GHz to be weaker so WRT310N met my needs. Only drawback is that it gets pretty hot so need to put some big rubber feet under them or put them upright (easels would work well too: http://amzn.com/B006EKL6FI http://amzn.com/B003CTSIG4).

#96726 by abqbill
Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:10 pm
I have decided on a Zoom 5790 which provides the ADSL and wireless functionality with QoS into one device. My current device is an older Zoom and I have been very happy with its reliability.

Regards,

Bill
#96728 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:01 pm
I'd advise against it. I am never a fan of modem/router/wifi combo units. They never do a good enough job.

For instance, although the unit you are looking at supposedly has QoS function http://www.zoomtel.com/documentation/ad ... l_EngB.pdf, it likely doesn't have any MAC/IP level configuration; you can only classify certain types of traffic having higher priority than other. It should be cheaper for you to get a router instead.
#96989 by abqbill
Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:57 am
Just to follow up on this post--

The Zoom X7N 5790's QoS feature is flexible enough to support QoS for Ooma. It supports checking the DSCP field and can be configured to prioritize EF (expedited forwarding) DSCP packets ahead of other outgoing traffic over the wireless interface.

So far, I recommend the Zoom X7N 5790. It seems to be a very good all-in-one DSL modem/router/802.11n wireless access point, even if not using an Ooma adapter.

Bill