This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#96495 by hardwaremonkey
Wed May 30, 2012 7:12 am
After not having issues for about one year, we are now suddenly having issues when receiving phone calls. We pick up, and it is about 5 seconds before anyone can hear us. The calls are generally okay (no audio drops, occassional stutter), but then we sometimes have the call completely drop. We have not had problems for over a year.

This is Modem-Ooma-Router.

Speedtests are good: 2Mbit down and 1.25 Mbit up. QoS is limited to 512 and 1500 down. IP is static from the ISP. Mac is static in Ooma, using the preferred Mac.

I unplugged the router and Ooma for several hours overnight. It made no improvements.

Ideas?
#96497 by thunderbird
Wed May 30, 2012 7:22 am
hardwaremonkey wrote:After not having issues for about one year, we are now suddenly having issues when receiving phone calls. We pick up, and it is about 5 seconds before anyone can hear us. The calls are generally okay (no audio drops, occassional stutter), but then we sometimes have the call completely drop. We have not had problems for over a year.

This is Modem-Ooma-Router.

Speedtests are good: 2Mbit down and 1.25 Mbit up. QoS is limited to 512 and 1500 down. IP is static from the ISP. Mac is static in Ooma, using the preferred Mac.

I unplugged the router and Ooma for several hours overnight. It made no improvements.

Ideas?

The problem is probably with Modem. Remove power from the Modem. Then repower the Modem.
Make/receive calls right away and see if there is improvement.

If there is no improvement check you Modem owner's manual and see if there is a reset procedure, accomplish the procedure per the manual, then test again.

Note: some Modems contain a battery that must be temporarily removed to have a successful modem reboot or reset.

If that doesn't work, try another modem.
Last edited by thunderbird on Wed May 30, 2012 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
#96499 by hardwaremonkey
Wed May 30, 2012 7:25 am
Thanks for the suggestion. The "modem" is a Motorola Canopy SM. No battery. I have gone through the log files on the device and see no errors, but I will try a power cycle, for I probably have not done that for a couple months. I will post an update later.