This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95365 by coastalcruiser
Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:18 pm
I just did some searching to see if you could power a telo with POE (Power Over Ethernet), rather than via the supplied power supply.

I would assume the answer is NO, but I am looking to see if anyone has done a jury rigged POE setup by injecting 5VDC into the 4 spare pair on the Cat5 run and then split the power off at the telo.

What I am trying to determine is if running DC on the Ethernet cable interferes with a phone call.

thanx
jim
#96498 by hardwaremonkey
Wed May 30, 2012 7:22 am
POE cannot interfere with a proper CAT-5 and any device. However, jury-rigging a break in a cat-5 will degrade shielding inherent in twisted pairs. You would need to make all the wires terminate at a junction with the same length of runs for each pair, then split the power from the ethernet to two separate cat-5 ports - one for ethernet and one for power.

Your next issue is going to be the quality of the POE injector. I use POE all the time, and I would not try this with an Ooma box. You are begging for a problem. I would simply extend your DC cables by cutting, splicing (with crimp, not solder), heat shrink, and be done with it.