This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95345 by dd1001
Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:10 pm
My OOMA has basically been useless for the past two years, It sucks and everyone that calls us knows it, I have changes my QOS settings, installed it directly from the modem, after the modem, moved the unit in case their was some interference. I dont know what to do, I think either OOMA sucks or my internet sucks. I live out in the sticks and have to get line of sight broadband. my readings are as follows.some of the quality problems I get are - I get loud bangs once in a while, total breakup of voice, every other word missing or jumbled, I wouldnt mind a tinny voice or any of that other stuff people cry about, I just want to be able to hold a conversation....any suggestions

Upstream jitter 7.0 ms
Downstream jitter 37.2 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.4 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 99.1 %
Packet discards 0.2 %
MOS 3.2
REGISTER ms - ms
INVITE ms - ms
BYE ms 9 ms
Test VoIP and Speed Test
#95346 by dd1001
Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 pm
more info from my VOIP test:
Test Type: Voice over IP
Downstream Jitter: 37.3ms
Downstream Loss: 0.4 %
Downstream Packet Order: 99.2 %
Upstream Jitter: 7ms
Upstream Loss: 0 %
Upstream Packet Order: 100.0 %
Packet Discards: 0.2 %
MOS Score: 3.2
Glossary of Results

Need help with these results? Contact us.

3 connection problems found, click the to learn more.
MVLS01: Packet loss has been detected.

Delivering quality voice over the network requires all packets sent to arrive. If packets are lost then this will cause the speech to lose voice content, the extent of this loss will depend on how many packets are lost and the distribution of that loss over the time line. Review the graph from the test. The height red bars indicate the amount lost while the spacing between the bars document the distribution of the loss. Learn More

MVLS02: Packet discards may have been detected.

Delivering quality voice over the network requires all packets sent to arrive in a timely fashion. If packets are delivered late or even early for any reason then this will cause the speech quality to decline as late packets that exceed the buffer time limit have to be discarded. The extent of the quality loss will depend on how many packets are discarded and the distribution of that loss over the time line of the test. Learn More

MVLS03: VoIP packets are arriving out of order.

Delivering quality voice over the network requires all packets sent to arrive in a timely fashion. If packets are delivered out of order for any reason then this can cause the speech quality to decline. For example if a packet for the beginning of a sentence arrives in the middle sentence then it is likely that the packet will be too late for acceptable usage and will be discarded. The extent of the quality loss will depend on how many packets are out of order, early or late, and as a results become unusable in the context of uniform speech. Learn
#95350 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:56 am
dd1001:
The Modem or Internet signal is your problem.

Try rebooting or reseting the Modem first. If your Modem contains a battery, temporarily remove the battery for the the reboot or reset, reference your Modem operator's manual.

Run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest and see if your Internet signal improves.
Your upload and download consistency of service should be around 80%, or better.
Make sure that your Jitter readings are less than 5ms.
Make sure that there are NO Packet loss, NO Packet discards, and NO Packets out of order.
Your MOS score should be around 4.0

If you can't bring the Internet signal readings withing limits, replace your Modem and test again. If that doesn't work, contact your Internet provider and have them make corrections.