This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95395 by Cyberchat
Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:32 pm
I've been an OOMA customer (Telo and Handset) for almost two years with very good to excellent quality and service. For about the first year my setup was "Modem-->OOMA-Telo-->Router". Since then, my setup has been "Modem-->Router-->OOMA-Telo". My experience of very good to excellent quality and service has been the same under both configurations.

My main reason for switching to the "Modem-->Router-->OOMA-Telo" configuration was that there are a few scenarios wherein I need to connect from a remote location to my home LAN (local area network) and its easier to manage and execute these remote connections if my router is directly exposed to the internet rather than having to connect through the Telo. Also, on those few occasions wherein the Telo and/or OOMA'a network are having problems, having the configuration of "Modem-->Router-->OOMA-Telo" minimizes or eliminates any impact on my internet connectivity.

As a footnote, if your Telo is installed as Modem/Router/Telo, its a really good idea within your router to assign a static IP address to the Telo. It removes the Telo from any address refresh cycles and provides a fixed address for you to access the Telo.

To get to the Telo's Home setup screen (initially) use a LAN cable (Cat-5e) to hook up your PC directly to the Home Network port of the Telo and then go to: http://172.27.35.1. (Note: make sure that your wireless network is turned off in your laptop PC when you hook it up to the Telo)

Also, to avoid this recurring hassle of having to hook up a PC to the Telo's home network port whenever you want to make a setting change or just look at the configuration, you can access the Telo's setup screens directly from your LAN PC by making a one-time configuration change within the Telo's setup screens. On the Advanced Settings panel, at the bottom of the panel Add a New Rule to forward Port 80 to 172.27.35.1

Then you will be able to directly access the Telo setup screen from your LAN by entering the static IP address assigned to your Telo in your router, for example: http://192.168.1.xxx
#95399 by Aveamantium
Tue May 01, 2012 6:20 am
snooker wrote:So is your name something about being an Avalanche fan?? .. rough year...

anyhow.. Ooma does not necessarily "leave the rest" to your LAN while on a call. I mean it does but it is restricted to the QoS upstream setting you give to Ooma. So if you blindly install it and leave it set to the default of 384 then practically nothing gets left over during a call.. And you can see from my test results above, even when I set Ooma to 5000, it uses a Lot more than 768 of the total available.

You *DO* you mean Mbps, right? :shock:

p.s. do you know how to post a fixed type of font here (courier, etc) so my chart is legible?
p.p.s. is there a trick to get an Ooma support person to post a reply? (I'm assuming you are not one...)

I'm impressed that you deciphered my username... think Colorado Avalanche + X Men... ;) Yes it has been a rough year... Need to get an owner that is willing to spend some money on them!

When I said it "leaves the rest" I meant of the user allocated bandwidth minus what it needs for its phone call. The iLBC codec only uses approx 40 kbps in each direction so it doesn't need much. That is why you need to put in your total bandwidth and not blindly install it (like you mentioned).

Yes I did mean Mbps... Doh! :o

Not sure on the font issue...

As for Ooma support, this is typically reserved as a "user" forum so you're not likely to get a response from Ooma here (but sometimes you will...). Anyway, as you can see there are a lot of very knowledgeable people here so give them a chance to help as they typically will give better answers than calling tech support. :idea:
#95423 by snooker
Tue May 01, 2012 1:05 pm
lbmofo wrote:snooker, it is perfectly fine to connect your Ooma to the router and forget about all this especially when your router can handle QoS. Just give your Ooma highest priority via router Qos.
In my case I was talking about modem->ooma->router so this does not apply. But thanks for the links to the 2 ways to set everything up. Those were more concise than the ones I had seen previously. I'm ignoring the idea that 768kbps is the max allowable!
#95424 by snooker
Tue May 01, 2012 1:07 pm
CyberChat... Thanks for the info.

I may yet switch back to modem->router->ooma. I had tried this before and I had the router use a fixed assigned DHCP setting to the ooma box. Is that ok for most cases or is a static IP address really preferred?
#95425 by lbmofo
Tue May 01, 2012 1:09 pm
snooker wrote:I'm ignoring the idea that 768kbps is the max allowable!

Yep, ignore.

snooker wrote:I had the router use a fixed assigned DHCP setting to the ooma box. Is that ok for most cases or is a static IP address really preferred?

Reserved IP address via DHCP.
#95428 by Cyberchat
Tue May 01, 2012 3:13 pm
snooker wrote:CyberChat... Thanks for the info.

I may yet switch back to modem->router->ooma. I had tried this before and I had the router use a fixed assigned DHCP setting to the ooma box. Is that ok for most cases or is a static IP address really preferred?

Snooker,

I agree with Ibmofo, go with the static IP address.

Also, although the Telo has attributes of a Router/Firewall combination, in my opinion its far less sophisticated in terms of multiple dissimilar device throughput and types of content throughput than today's commercial or residential routers. OOMA's focus is to optimize their specific VOIP implementation. I have a lot of other stuff happening on my LAN, a lot of devices pushing data, streaming video and audio, ..., wherein I want a mainstream router/switch infrastructure environment to be in control. That's why I made the investment in my Netgear gigabit environment.

The OOMA Telo blends into my environment and functions very well as a router-attached device.
#95429 by snooker
Tue May 01, 2012 3:41 pm
Cyberchat wrote:... I agree with Ibmofo, go with the static IP address....
Actually he said "Reserved IP address via DHCP" and not Static IP, for whatever reason and I have set up the reserved with DHCP before so I'll just stick with it. I originally was thinking the same as you, but after some dropped calls the first day I put the Ooma in front of the router. Now that I understand this stuff more, I think I will move it back to behind the router and use the Reserved IP address via DHCP and give ooma a high priority in my router's QoS. I have a link in my first post that shows EXACTLY how to do this using my D-Link Dir-655 router which is very handy for doing this the first time!!! Thanks lbmofo and all.
#95435 by Cyberchat
Tue May 01, 2012 4:44 pm
snooker wrote:
Cyberchat wrote:... I agree with Ibmofo, go with the static IP address....
Actually he said "Reserved IP address via DHCP" and not Static IP, for whatever reason and I have set up the reserved with DHCP before so I'll just stick with it. I originally was thinking the same as you, but after some dropped calls the first day I put the Ooma in front of the router. Now that I understand this stuff more, I think I will move it back to behind the router and use the Reserved IP address via DHCP and give ooma a high priority in my router's QoS. I have a link in my first post that shows EXACTLY how to do this using my D-Link Dir-655 router which is very handy for doing this the first time!!! Thanks lbmofo and all.

Yeh, I should have been more specific. My intention was to say the same thing.

To be more specific, what we're all talking about is "dynamically assigned static IP addresses". In this case, a DHCP server is used, but it is specifically configured to always assign the same IP address to a particular computer/device. This allows static IP addresses to be configured centrally, without having to specifically configure each computer/device on the network in a manual procedure.