This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95216 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:58 am
Do it direct vs wifi. I remember getting not so good results with wifi...on and off.
#95217 by Ringfinger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:05 pm
Problem with that is my Ooma will soon be connected via Wi-Fi so I can backwire into my house. Right now it is using a powerline method to get signal from router. Now I am getting even more nervous. Now I seem to be listening for issues. I set the Qos to zero on the Ooma and all that stuff last week as suggested in another thread, can't seem to find it now. There were other suggestions in it as well. Since the Ooma is after the router anyhow, the ooma doesn't handle the QoS, correct?
#95220 by Ringfinger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:53 pm
I want to have my Ooma in a different location and need the powerline to stay where it is for a printer I have. Is that an issue?
#95225 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:59 pm
What kind of internet service do you have? I have cable and I used to have some major packet loss on the downstream side during evenings. I think it is due to my ISP being supbar. But since I changed from DOCSIS 2 to DOCSIS 3 modem, I see insignificant packet loss even during evenings. My ISP doesn't even support DOCSIS 3 so only 1 channel bond.
#95226 by thunderbird
Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:43 pm
Ringfinger wrote:I understand. I just want it to be as good as it can be.

My wife actually asked me yesterday if there was a delay as she said she noticed like a 1 second delay. Now I am getting nervous.

Ask your wife if she can talk on the Ooma phone system at the same time the other party talks. Or does she have to wait until the other party is done talking, before she can talk?

I use our Ooma Telo with the Ooma Wireless Wi-Fi dongle, and it seems to work just fine.
#95228 by Ringfinger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:18 pm
I have a docsis 3.0 modem. It is a brand new Motorola. Commonly sold at best buy one. I have Comcast 20-25 download and 3-4.5 upload. I have the ooma powerline to router, after the modem of course. Will be changing to wi-fi. Right now there are people online at home by my iPhone shows 13 dl and 3.5 ul. I know with demand on the cable there are slower speeds at night but I think those are suitable. I have noticed some delay as well. Not sure if those settings that I talked about prior blurt or help especially setting the ooma QoS to 0. I have the router do the QoS now however not sure if I really set it right. Maybe I screwed something up with those settings? I guess now that we ported I am using the phone a lot and noticing these things.
#95230 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm
Did you set router QoS via MAC address of Ooma? If using MAC, got to use the modem port MAC which is 1 higher than the label on the bottom.
#95231 by Ringfinger
Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:38 pm
Funny you should mention that as I did notice that! I am unsure of my settings on the router and if I did it right as there are many ways to do it. I have a buffalo router. Anyway, I set by the static ip address I assigned it however not sure if I did it right. I posted a question at the buffalo site for help in setting up the QoS.