This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#95158 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:58 pm
Is anyone having Robotic/Metallic/Digital Sounding, One Way Conversations? If so, please report the problem here.

I am having this problem, but only on the Ooma phone system side.

When calling to the Ooma system phone, from an outside the Ooma System phone, the Robotic/Metallic/Digital Sounding, One Way Conversations are not heard by the outside Ooma system phone caller.

If the Ooma phone system side person continues to talk, the person that called from an outside phone can continue to hear the Ooma phone system side person talking.

Adjustments to Router or Ooma Telo Quality of Service setting makes no difference.
Last edited by thunderbird on Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#95161 by Hollywood
Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:13 pm
try using built in MAC address and also try unplugging your Ooma for at least one hour. :D

seriously, plug the Ooma directly into the modem to eliminate the router as a problem, and if still a problem, bring your Ooma to a friend or neighbor's that has a known good internet.

I don't have that bad sound issue as a rule, but I have had the occasional bad connection. Overall my quality is very good, so I know Ooma works. If on another internet connection it is still bad, it could be a bad Ooma unit or a regional problem? I know you help a lot of people, so you know enough to trade cables and power adapters to eliminate them too.

good luck.
#95163 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:37 pm
Hollywood wrote:try using built in MAC address and also try unplugging your Ooma for at least one hour. :D

seriously, plug the Ooma directly into the modem to eliminate the router as a problem, and if still a problem, bring your Ooma to a friend or neighbor's that has a known good internet.

I don't have that bad sound issue as a rule, but I have had the occasional bad connection. Overall my quality is very good, so I know Ooma works. If on another internet connection it is still bad, it could be a bad Ooma unit or a regional problem? I know you help a lot of people, so you know enough to trade cables and power adapters to eliminate them too.

good luck.

I've tried almost every known "trick" without help. I think it may be what you suggested, "a regional problem".

Recently Ooma did replace the Ooma Telo. Overall the Ooma Telo is functioning better then it has ever functioned. But there is just this one problem, that I've had off and on since late last summer.

But there are a couple things, although very remote and unlikely, which I haven't tried yet because of time.

But you know how troubleshooting works. Every possibility, no matter how remote and unlikely, must be tried.

One other person has reported a similar problem, and if there are more people out there with this, or similar problems, maybe there is a pattern?
#95175 by Cyberchat
Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:47 am
thunderbird wrote:Is anyone having Robotic/Metallic/Digital Sounding, One Way Conversations? If so, please report the problem here.

I am having this problem, but only on the Ooma phone system side.

When calling to the Ooma system phone, from an outside the Ooma System phone, the Robotic/Metallic/Digital Sounding, One Way Conversations are not heard by the outside Ooma system phone caller.

If the Ooma phone system side person continues to talk, the person that called from an outside phone can continue to hear the Ooma phone system side person talking.

Adjustments to Router or Ooma Telo Quality of Service setting makes no difference.

Thunderbird,

For troubleshooting tough VOIP issues, I've found the “voipmechanic” site to be very helpful. The following link should get you started.

http://www.voipmechanic.com/phoneandvoicequality.htm

You'll already be aware of many of these remedies but there are many new ideas and in-depth discussions of the potential problem sources in these pages which haven't yet been discussed within the OOMA forums.

Fortunately, I seem to have been blessed with an ISP with very good and consistent quality of service. ISP service quality issues (including their supplied modems) seem to be central to many of the issues reported within the OOMA forums.

For me, the quality ISP services along with excellent Netgear LAN equipment and residential wiring seem to have combined to provide VOIP services through the OOMA Telo which are consistently very good to excellent. (now, must find several blocks of real wood to knock on)

Occasionally, on international calls (for offshore customer support services) I get some of the crappy phone call attributes you described (robotic, choppy calls with a lot of echo) but for me these issues have been call specific. Often times another call to the same customer support service clears the call issues.

Good luck!
#95351 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:09 am
Progress Update:
I don't know weather Ooma made changes on their side, or if what seemed to be minor changes that I made, on my side, or both, has helped. But for the past week, our Ooma phone system has functioned in an almost perfect manor.

This past week, but mostly this weekend, my wife has made several long winded calls, lasting for several hours, both to China, and in the USA without any complaints at all.

Even the International calls are not being cutoff by Ooma, as they had been in the past, with an English voice that would say “Goodbye”.

I think things are good to go for the new Ooma Telo handset release???
#95785 by lhight
Fri May 11, 2012 4:24 pm
I've been having the same problems Thunderbird has described and it's starting to drive me nuts since nothing I have done seems to make any difference. I've checked the QoS and it is fine. I haven't changed anything on my end, so I wonder if Ooma is making some changes on theirs.