This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#96276 by AzJazz
Thu May 24, 2012 9:17 pm
I don't know about the iPhone version, but I can say that the Android Ooma app is extremely disappointing. :(

The ooma app is one of the most expensive apps I have purchased for my phone, and is a rip-off in my book. The app crashes (Force Closes) frequently, randomly disconnects calls suddenly with a strong cell signal, doesn't operate properly (for example, I have never seen my phone successfully connect to "My Ooma"). On top of that, the Android Mobile app has a amateur user interface that looks like a hung-over first semester student slapped something together 15 minutes before class.

I just checked the Android Market rating for the Ooma app, and they got a 2.1. They earned it.

My thought: Don't waste your money on the Ooma Android app until it is out of "alpha testing". On the plus side, there's LOTS of room for improvement. :)
#96386 by EX Bell
Sat May 26, 2012 7:24 pm
Well it looks like I made the right choice with iPhone in more ways than one. Too bad, I otherwise think Android ICS is really nice. I don't know if you can directly wag a finger at Ooma for this though. I'm not a developer so I don't know the limitations that the app developer might have come across with Android. I also think that there are other factors you should consider, like the hardware memory, CPU type and speed. With Android, your kind of in an MS Windows type of situation. There are so many different hardware specs out there, you can't expect everything to run perfect on all of them. With Apple iPhone, it's a similar story to what they have with the Macintosh. Really, iOS and MacOS are closed platforms regardless of whether or not they're based on Free BSD and the hardware is designed by Apple, so they have total control over it. In thier case, there are much fewer variables. They're also pretty specific about how they want developers to write in Xcode from what I do understand of it.

As for app returns, I don't know the return policies of Google Play (formerly android market place), but there are no returns to the iTurnes App store, all sales are final. It's clearly defined in their terms of service. One could probably get a refund if you complained, considering you were polite in the way you requested it. That's just a difference with Apple customer service that I've noted over the years.

The iPhone version does work fine. Some minor issues with screen clipping if you use the full My Ooma interface from within the app, instead of the mobile version, but it's a minor issue. It works best on wifi as opposed to 3G, but both do work. I notice if I use it just outside my house, calls will drop because the phone begins to lose the wifi signal and switches to 3G. That's to be expected, so now that I know that, I don't use it like that anymore.

I've found the best use for it in our house is as a sudo second line. If one of us is on the phone, we can still use the app and dial out. Of course, it is coming off of our included 250 minutes/month with our premium service, but we don't use the app enough for that to make a difference.
#96402 by imsonofagun
Sun May 27, 2012 7:25 am
I have no issues using the Ooma app on the Motorola Droid or the Motorola Droid Bionic. Neither are rooted.

There are a lot of different Android phones with different hardware, OS, and customization by the manufacturers (Motoblur, HTC Sense UI, etc) that can impact apps. iPhone on the other hand is fairly cookie-cutter (one manufacturer, hardware differerences are only between each generation, etc) which make things easier for app developers.

Hopefully Ice Cream Sandwich will help minimize compatibility issues between the various devices. Unfortunately the manufacturers have been slow to update their devices to ICS.
#96403 by rpiotro
Sun May 27, 2012 7:33 am
lbmofo wrote:http://www.androidcentral.com/android-market-refund-window-apparently-expands-48-hours

I hear 15 min, 24hr, 48 hr...which is it? Another reason iPhone maybe the way to go.

Have you tried making domestic calls? My guess is that your international call quality is to blame and not the app? I am not sure because I run the iPhone version; works fine.

Are you still on version 3.03? I still have not heard back from support on my issue.
#96404 by EX Bell
Sun May 27, 2012 7:39 am
Do you mean 3.05? That is the version my wife and I are and have always been using.
#96406 by lbmofo
Sun May 27, 2012 12:51 pm
rpiotro wrote:
lbmofo wrote:http://www.androidcentral.com/android-market-refund-window-apparently-expands-48-hours

I hear 15 min, 24hr, 48 hr...which is it? Another reason iPhone maybe the way to go.

Have you tried making domestic calls? My guess is that your international call quality is to blame and not the app? I am not sure because I run the iPhone version; works fine.

Are you still on version 3.03? I still have not heard back from support on my issue.

Yes, I am still running 3.0.2 from June of last year. I have not updated to 3.0.5 from Jan of this year. The only reason for me was the volume was lower on the newer verions; also this background dropping call issue (not as big for me).
#96686 by saisivak
Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:55 am
EX Bell wrote:Well it looks like I made the right choice with iPhone in more ways than one. Too bad, I otherwise think Android ICS is really nice. I don't know if you can directly wag a finger at Ooma for this though. I'm not a developer so I don't know the limitations that the app developer might have come across with Android. I also think that there are other factors you should consider, like the hardware memory, CPU type and speed. With Android, your kind of in an MS Windows type of situation. There are so many different hardware specs out there, you can't expect everything to run perfect on all of them. With Apple iPhone, it's a similar story to what they have with the Macintosh. Really, iOS and MacOS are closed platforms regardless of whether or not they're based on Free BSD and the hardware is designed by Apple, so they have total control over it. In thier case, there are much fewer variables. They're also pretty specific about how they want developers to write in Xcode from what I do understand of it.

As for app returns, I don't know the return policies of Google Play (formerly android market place), but there are no returns to the iTurnes App store, all sales are final. It's clearly defined in their terms of service. One could probably get a refund if you complained, considering you were polite in the way you requested it. That's just a difference with Apple customer service that I've noted over the years.

The iPhone version does work fine. Some minor issues with screen clipping if you use the full My Ooma interface from within the app, instead of the mobile version, but it's a minor issue. It works best on wifi as opposed to 3G, but both do work. I notice if I use it just outside my house, calls will drop because the phone begins to lose the wifi signal and switches to 3G. That's to be expected, so now that I know that, I don't use it like that anymore.

I've found the best use for it in our house is as a sudo second line. If one of us is on the phone, we can still use the app and dial out. Of course, it is coming off of our included 250 minutes/month with our premium service, but we don't use the app enough for that to make a difference.

There is nothing wrong in Android ICS... Check Vonage app in Android I have used in HC, GB and now ICS and it works perfectly well... this App is not written well...

I got my refund 9.99 back after contacting customer service repeatedly....

I canceled the premier package, the main reason I wanted is for the mobile app... Right now for international calls Iam using Ooma at home and Vonage Mobile App for mobile ...

Once Ooma releases working Mobile App for android will try again...
#96970 by electriclm
Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:49 pm
I have been trying to download ooma mobile app for android. I have a dell streak 7 withandroid verison 3.2. I am being told that it is not compatable. Why?
#96997 by TPower
Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:41 pm
did you check your phone settings to make sure your phone can accept non-market applications?

on my android phone in settings, under applications, there is a setting for Unknown sources; for applications of non Market apps. in other words android does not like you using apps not supplied from there market source! :D