This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94974 by camfused
Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:23 pm
Hi,

I just want to report that I was having call quality issues when I had my Ooma Telo after the router. My config is:
- Roadrunner 30/5
- Ubee DDW3611 modem in bridge mode
- Dlink DIR-645 router

I tried all the tweaks I read about here, including port forwarding and QOS on the Dlink. I even tried placing the Telo in the DMZ.

The Telo was usually okay, but I was experiencing occasional dropped calls, and stutter, and sometimes the call would lock up on a spoken word and get stuck on the piece of a word.

Finally, I factory reset the Telo, again, and put it in front of the router. All I did to the Telo was to set the INTERNET Port MAC Address to "built in", and set the Ooma QOS to 4250 Up and 17850 down (which are the numbers derived for my connection). We have had no problems (so far) since.

Hopefully, this may help others in the future.

I do have a question about the QOS setting in the Ooma. My understanding is that you are supposed to do a bunch of runs to speedtest.net and then take 85% of the answers, and plug those in. I did that, but I get vastly different speedtest.net results based on which day and what time of day I do the runs. Should I take the values for the lowest runs I get for a whole week, of maybe an average, or maybe the best runs I get? Thanks!
#94975 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:36 pm
Download speeds may vary significantly but the upload speeds shouldn't swing as much. Set the download QoS to 0 and just input the upload QoS value. 3600 looks like a good number for you.
#95005 by camfused
Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm
Thanks for that. I have switched to these values.

So, you are saying that download QOS is not necessary.

1) What formula made you suggest 72% of my upload speed?

2) Despite reading up on Ooma's QOS, I am still confused a bit. Are we reserving 3600 for Ooma, and leaving 1400 for the rest of the LAN, or is it the other way around?

3) I assume the QOS is only applicable when there is a call in progress, and otherwise all 5000 goes to my LAN? Never mind, stupid question! Since I get 5000 when I run speedtest, the QOS must be kicking in only during calls.

Thanks
Last edited by camfused on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#95007 by murphy
Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:32 pm
camfused wrote:Thanks for that. I have switched to these values.

So, you are saying that download QOS is not necessary.

1) What formula made you suggest 72% of my upload speed?

2) Despite reading up on Ooma's QOS, I am still confused a bit. Are we reserving 3600 for Ooma, and leaving 1400 for the rest of the LAN, or is it the other way around?

3) I assume the QOS is only applicable when there is a call in progress, and otherwise all 5000 goes to my LAN?

Thanks

1. I usually recommend 80%. Speed is not a constant. If you tell Ooma the full speed and your speed drops you have told Ooma your speed is higher than it currently is.
2. Neither. You are telling Ooma what your reliable upload speed is. Ooma only needs about 260K.
3. Yes.
#95008 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 pm
3600 is a neat looking kbps number representing about 85% of your upload of 4250.

With this upload QoS in effect, when Ooma is in use, Ooma will limit total upload to 3600 kbps (we set this number to lower than 4250 kbps since your upload may sometimes be lower). Ooma will reserve some of this 3600 (less than 300Kbps) and allow other traffic to use the rest; this way Ooma always gets what it needs. You can actually see this working by doing speedtest.net tests during a call and while Ooma is idle.
#95364 by coastalcruiser
Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:47 pm
murphy wrote:Ooma only needs about 260K

Murphy can you help me out here? I keep seeing radically different numbers for the amount of uplink bandwidth ooma needs for a call. I first saw a reference that the codec used 40kbs. Then I saw a reference in an ooma QoS document that the telo reserves 130kbs. Then I saw a reference the the default value for upstream speed in the telo settings is 384kbs (which I actually eyeballed as true with my own peepers on my telo a short time ago). Now it's you with the "260" value. ;> Where do all these numbers come from?!

Signed
semi-exasperated ;>

Anyone: What is the best tool you know of to measure the uplink bandwidth used by ooma during a call.

thanx!
jim
#95366 by murphy
Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:33 pm
The 384 upload default is because that is the most common upload speed for a DSL connection.
The number is supposed to be the actual upload speed.
The problem is that with a shared cable connection it varies because cable is a shared system since everyone on the street is on the same cable.

Here is a snapshot of the bandwidth selections for my HUB.
Scroll the inserted picture down.
I have no idea why this wasn't carried forward to the Telo.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (112.27 KiB) Viewed 7715 times
#95367 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:49 pm
coastalcruiser wrote:keep seeing radically different numbers for the amount of uplink bandwidth ooma needs for a call. I first saw a reference that the codec used 40kbs. Then I saw a reference in an ooma QoS document that the telo reserves 130kbs. Then I saw a reference the the default value for upstream speed in the telo settings is 384kbs (which I actually eyeballed as true with my own peepers on my telo a short time ago). Now it's you with the "260" value. ;> Where do all these numbers come from?!

Using iLBC (Ooma's default codec), Ooma is supposed to take up only ~35Kbps to ~40Kbps per sec.

viewtopic.php?t=11771#p82552