This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94961 by rdtagman
Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:57 am
I have had Ooma less than a week, so I'm still in the learning curve. All of my calls have time delays (about 2 sec.) in all transmissions to all numbers so far. In the past, I would experience the same delay when talking to someone in Europe or Asia, but even those calls have gotten better in the last couple of years. Is this delay something I have to live with, or is a Ooma Support call in order?
Thanks
#94963 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:16 am
rdtagman wrote:I have had Ooma less than a week, so I'm still in the learning curve. All of my calls have time delays (about 2 sec.) in all transmissions to all numbers so far. In the past, I would experience the same delay when talking to someone in Europe or Asia, but even those calls have gotten better in the last couple of years. Is this delay something I have to live with, or is a Ooma Support call in order?
Thanks

The Ooma Telo delay is simular to, or less then, the delay that a cell phone has. Sometimes using a DECT 6 phone will help with this problem.
#94972 by rdtagman
Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:21 am
I am using a DECT 6 phone system, new out of the box last week and, with all due respect, my cell phone has no delay and is as responsive as traditional land lines. I have been using cell phones since the bag phone hit the market (that was a long time ago) and have never had one with the delay that I have on my Ooma system. Ooma chat rep did send me a link to a series of "tune-ups" that I will go through tonight after work hours.
#95122 by png6742
Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:34 am
I have noticed the same type delays. I have to wait to make sure I do not talk over the person on the other end.
I have Verizon FIOS as at 10/1 rate.

Any suggestions :(
#95123 by thunderbird
Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:05 am
png6742 wrote:I have noticed the same type delays. I have to wait to make sure I do not talk over the person on the other end.
I have Verizon FIOS as at 10/1 rate.
Any suggestions :(

Sounds like you are having half-duplex conversations. Half-duplex is where you have to wait until one or the other party stops talking before you or the other party can talk. Half duplex operations are usually caused by the modem operating at half-duplex.

Full-duplex is where both parties can talk at the same time, and each can hear each other. The normal mod of operation is full-duplex.

Rebooting your modem will some times restore full duplex:
Remove power from your modem. If your modem contains a battery, temporarily remove the battery; reference your modem owner manual. Then repower the modem.

Quickly make phone calls to one/some of the people that you are having problems with.

Check to see if you both can talk at the same time.

If you have normal conversations, then later the problem returns, your modem is defective or something connected to your home's LAN is pulling the modem down to half-duplex.