This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94939 by inforr
Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:47 am
I have been experiencing on and off delays calling a specific number. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? I don't have issues making calls to other numbers. When I contact Ooma they always want me to change the settings on my Telo which I would agree with if I was having delays across the board but I am not. It must be related to the path the call is taking.
#94940 by lbmofo
Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:01 am
Delay meaning how long it takes to connect the call? If you have 10 digit dialing enabled, when dialing just 7 digits, follow up with a # to put the call through immediately.
#94941 by inforr
Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 am
lbmofo wrote:Delay meaning how long it takes to connect the call? If you have 10 digit dialing enabled, when dialing just 7 digits, follow up with a # to put the call through immediately.

Sorry I meant audio delay.
#94951 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:32 pm
inforr wrote:
lbmofo wrote:Delay meaning how long it takes to connect the call? If you have 10 digit dialing enabled, when dialing just 7 digits, follow up with a # to put the call through immediately.

Sorry I meant audio delay.

Remove power from your Modem and Ooma device. If your Modem contains a battery (check the Modem manual) temporarily remove the battery before the Modem reboot to have a successful Modem reboot. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. Test by immediately test the Ooma device for delay by making call to the numbers where you experience delay. If you don't have any delay, but later have delay, your Modem may be defective.
#94952 by inforr
Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:25 pm
thunderbird wrote:Remove power from your Modem and Ooma device. If your Modem contains a battery (check the Modem manual) temporarily remove the battery before the Modem reboot to have a successful Modem reboot. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Ooma Telo. Test by immediately test the Ooma device for delay by making call to the numbers where you experience delay. If you don't have any delay, but later have delay, your Modem may be defective.

Thanks, I will try this. I am on Verizon FiOS but do have an older modem MI424-WR Rev D which does have a limited NAT table. If I find this works every time my only concern is how to troubleshoot this with Verizon.
#94956 by inforr
Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:14 pm
OK just tried it and still a delay after rebooting Telo and router :(

Interestingly every time I call the number (in Maine) the receiver sees my number as the caller ID but my name is shown as "Maine" - is that normal?
#94957 by thunderbird
Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:32 pm
inforr wrote:OK just tried it and still a delay after rebooting Telo and router :(

Interestingly every time I call the number (in Maine) the receiver sees my number as the caller ID but my name is shown as "Maine" - is that normal?

Most important, did you reboot the Modem?
#94965 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:23 am
inforr wrote:
thunderbird wrote:Most important, did you reboot the Modem?

Yes the router and modem are built in to one box with FiOS.

Would NAT table limitations contribute to this: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfi ... ting#16233 as I have a Rev D modem/router?

I'm still surprised why this only happens with one number and not others.

If this is happening with one number only, it may be the phone or provider on the other end.

If you have an extra corded phone, try that. If you can get the person on the other end to use a completely different phone, perferably a corded phone.
Also if you are both using cordless phones, when you test with the corded phones, remove power from any cordless phone bases, both in your home and the other partie's location. Then test.
If you find that one of the cordless phone systems is causing the problem, if you plan on replacing the cordless phone(s), DECT 6 work best with Ooma.
#94966 by inforr
Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:33 am
thunderbird wrote:If this is happening with one number only, it may be the phone or provider on the other end.

This is what I believe it to be. Originally I tried to troubleshoot this with Ooma going via the BBB which was a length process and I eventually spoke to one of the engineers in California but they called me during the work day which made it hard to troubleshoot. So really wanted to know the best approach to avoid going the BBB route again. Are support better about these types of issues?

thunderbird wrote:If you have an extra corded phone, try that. If you can get the person on the other end to use a completely different phone, perferably a corded phone.
Also if you are both using cordless phones, when you test with the corded phones, remove power from any cordless phone bases, both in your home and the other partie's location. Then test.
If you find that one of the cordless phone systems is causing the problem, if you plan on replacing the cordless phone(s), DECT 6 work best with Ooma.

I am using a DECT 6 phone on my end and the other party is corded. Every time this happens the wife just uses her cell phone instead and everything is fine. I guess a better test would be to use a calling card or Google Voice account via Ooma to change the path the call is taking.