This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94634 by runun
Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:17 pm
I've had the Ooma Telo for over 3 years now and until 6 months ago, I only had a 1 Mbps (125 Kbps) upload speed and Ooma QoS never consumed more than half of my upload speed. Recently, my ISP (Charter) has cranked up their broadband speeds and I've now got 4 Mbps (500 Kbps) upload. Why does the Ooma QoS consume nearly all of the 4 Mbps upload bandwidth during a phone call? I thought Ooma used compression methods that only required around 30 Kbps. Currently, during phone calls, I've only got about 30 Kbps remaining out of 500 Kbps. BTW, I know these numbers because I can watch my torrent client during a phone call, and I can also watch my FTP server upload speed, as well.
#94637 by thunderbird
Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:42 pm
runun wrote:I've had the Ooma Telo for over 3 years now and until 6 months ago, I only had a 1 Mbps (125 Kbps) upload speed and Ooma QoS never consumed more than half of my upload speed. Recently, my ISP (Charter) has cranked up their broadband speeds and I've now got 4 Mbps (500 Kbps) upload. Why does the Ooma QoS consume nearly all of the 4 Mbps upload bandwidth during a phone call? I thought Ooma used compression methods that only required around 30 Kbps. Currently, during phone calls, I've only got about 30 Kbps remaining out of 500 Kbps. BTW, I know these numbers because I can watch my torrent client during a phone call, and I can also watch my FTP server upload speed, as well.

If you are using a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, you need to reset your Ooma Setup quality of service settings to match the new Internet speeds.
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side of Phonepower test results window. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

But some people with a change of Internet speeds still have problems. If that happens, you may have to consider connecting Modem-Router-Ooma, and setting your Ooma Setup QoS settings to Zero.
In this configuration, nothing is connected to the Ooma device Home port, except temporarily connecting a computer to access Ooma Setup view settings and make setting changes.
#94643 by aicitman
Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:02 pm
They didn't either explain. The have a whole scenario picture 2 describing what the problem is with setting it to a lower number than available. But they do say do subtract 15 to 20%. Would you mind explaining?
#94649 by murphy
Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 am
Your internet speed is not constant. It varies depending on the load on your ISP's systems. If the QOS is set to the advertised speed and the current speed is less than that you have the situation of telling the Telo that your speed is higher than it really is.
Reducing the QOS numbers by 20% avoids that situation most of the time.
#94695 by runun
Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:20 am
In my experience (broadband cable internet) download speeds vary but upload speeds do not. I do have my current upload bandwidth set in the Quality of Service Advanced tab properly. I guess I'll try the modem->router->ooma setup.
#94839 by runun
Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:19 pm
Doh, I had the QoS set in KB/s, so I have a 4 Mbps upload = 512 KB/s or 4096 kbps. I went by thunderbird's recommendation and made it a lower percentage (approx. 85%) and set my upload connection to 3500 kbps in the Advanced Settings for Quality of Service.