This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94588 by Leeway
Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 am
FWIW:

I have Time Warner ISP (not by choice). Yesterday, I examined my modem date and it was 02/2006 SA modem. I removed it, ran over to the TWC store not far away, laid it on the counter and came home with a brand new Cisco modem with a manufacture date of 03/2012.

What a huge difference it made. I have a brand new D-link 655 with my Ooma behind it. My calls are so much clearer and my Ooma was self booting itself intermittently for no reason which appears to have stopped also. I noticed the overall improvement and so did the people I was talking with.

Should have done it long ago.

Now to go figure out how to program the brand new Clicker universal remote she also gave me.

Donna
#94589 by EX Bell
Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:33 am
That's great feedback. Thanks for posting.
#94632 by turbo9
Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:17 am
Your old modem might have had some design decisions made on cost. Things like falling into half duplex if auto negotiations fails might have been more common on your old gear. I've upgraded modems for me and my dad this year and I noticed it cut the ping latency in half. I've also upgrade both of our routers to more modern gear (okay, my old stuff goes to his house...) and this has been an improvement as well. I am pretty sure that if you open modern equipment up, there will be just a few chips in there which should make things better.

Network issues that are not really noticeable / service affecting for web browsing such as latency, jitter, etc. are very noticeable for VOIP.

Also, ensure that your router prioritizes your voice traffic (if your Ooma is after your router). If your router does not have this feature, replace it with one that does.
#94633 by bmccollum
Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:20 pm
Great information.

My parents have the Ooma Telo and were having lots of problems with the Telo's light turning to red periodically, lots of bad voice delay/latency during phone calls, and their laptop (using WiFi) was going offline all of the time.

They're with AT&T FastAccess DSL and had the crappy AT&T-provided 2Wire 2701 modem/router. The reviews on that unit have always been beyond horrendous.

I replaced that device w/a Netgear DGN2200 and all of the problems went away pretty much instantaneously. There's still a slight delay when on the phone with them, but it's nothing even remotely close to like it used to be prior to the switch-out of the AT&T-provided modem/router to the Netgear DGN2200. The delay is more like that that you'd expect when talking to someone via cell phone, so it's a delay you can deal with pretty easily.
#94652 by turbo9
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:18 am
I replaced that device w/a Netgear DGN2200 and all of the problems went away pretty much instantaneously. There's still a slight delay when on the phone with them, but it's nothing even remotely close to like it used to be prior to the switch-out of the AT&T-provided modem/router to the Netgear DGN2200. The delay is more like that that you'd expect when talking to someone via cell phone, so it's a delay you can deal with pretty easily.

It appears that device has Quality of Service (QoS) capability. Ensure that that function is configured such that the Telo has the highest priority.

You can normally do this via MAC address, IP address or physical router port, but I am not sure about your router. It's best to use the MAC address because the router will find the device and take care of things. Next best is router port, but then you need to ensure that the Telo is plugged into the correct port at all times. Least reliable is IP address because this will change at some point (e.g. firmware upgrade, reboot, power cycle, etc.).
#94654 by bmccollum
Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:56 am
Good points on the QoS issue with the Netgear DGN2200. That was one of the primary reasons I chose that specific unit to replace my parents' existing router/modem unit... the QoS capabilities. It's been several months ago since I setup the device at their house, but as best as I can remember, I don't think the ability existed to do QoS based on a specific Mac Address. Seems like I only found the ability to do QoS on specific LAN ports. So, as you suggested, that's what I did... they literally never touch any of their equipment aside from powering-on their PC / laptop to use them, so there's no danger of them unplugged the Ooma Telo, for example, from LAN port 1 and deciding to plug it into LAN port 3.

Thanks for the comments!
#94706 by murdock
Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:32 pm
I had call quality issues too (see my earlier post in this forum).

Turns out my cable modem was close to 8 years old. I bought a Motorola 6121..been using it for a little over a week now - significantly improved call quality and no dropped calls.

Even though my old modem worked and the cable guy came to my house and said it worked fine...replacing it made all the difference in eliminating dropped calls and increasing call quality.