This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#8073 by BruceG
Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:05 pm
All calls, incoming and outgoing are having the first two seconds (or so) of calls cut off. When we answer a call our "hello" is not heard by the caller, and when we make a call our first couple of words of greeting are also cut off.

I tried a search using all variations of "cut off" but didn't see anything.

We used the config online to disable the ooma tone a while ago. This has been ongoing, but it's annoying us enough to seek answers as to how to address it.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
#11794 by southsound
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:59 pm
It could be due to echo cancellation software used by the company that ooma partners with in your area. Sometimes it takes a fraction of a second or so to kick in and start passing the call properly. If it is happening on all calls, just call 888 711-6662 and have them open a ticket to check routing, ect. If it only on certain calls, log the numbers and dates and give this information to support. It could be that they need to work with the local partner about making the echo cancellation a little less agressive and obtrusive.
#12406 by frazierwa
Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:48 pm
I also regularly experience the same delay when answering the phone. Typically I say "hello" three times before the caller can hear me. I called support recently and they performed serveral test calls to me from a standard POTS line. On two out of the five calls they placed to me the delay was observed. Unfortunately, the first two calls had the delay and the last three did not which left us with the impression that the problem was solved. In the several days since that test about 50-60% of the calls have the delay.

The problem isn't related to certain callers. One neighbor who calls us 2 or 3 times a day will some experience the delay, but other times the delay is not evident.

Is this a known issue? Are there any successful workarounds?
#12415 by niknak
Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 am
You need to call customer service as suggested. The delay is probably caused by the compression algorithm. Customer service can tweak the settings