This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94072 by dwpenn
Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:00 pm
I've gone from occasional poor quality calls to where 100% of our calls (placed or received) experience drop-outs, echo's, or half a conversation (alternating between our end and the other party who is most affected). We try taking calls on Ooma out of habit, it hosts our primary and long-standing number, then we have to end that call to switch to our cell phones to actually have and finish the conversation. My wife takes business calls here and can't be a beta tester for something not ready for prime time. Because it's become a constant the people calling no longer suspect it could be their line, and are wondering why she isn't getting her phone problem fixed. COX has been out to the house and tested the signal going to and from their modem, including raw signal strength and upload/download rates. The cox delivery to our home is definitely within their specifications and is high speed.

My OOMA is direct-connected to the COX (HS cable) modem before any other device.

The poor quality persists regardless of hour of the day or whether any other network component is powered up and doing anything.

We've not been able to make a distinction on whether there is a any difference between it being a local or out of area code call. All calls experience the problem equally.

I'm looking for any ideas before I give up on Ooma and pack it up back to Costco. I only hesitate because of the trouble it was (and will be again) to port numbers.The idea of the savings was great, but if you can't hold a conversation there is no real savings. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions to salvage Ooma.
#94074 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:53 pm
dwpenn wrote:I've gone from occasional poor quality calls to where 100% of our calls (placed or received) experience drop-outs, echo's, or half a conversation (alternating between our end and the other party who is most affected).

"Half conversation" is when the Modem is operating at half-duplex speed. Half-Duplex is, in this case, one way voice traffic. Only one person can talk at a time. Half-duplex will also sometimes cause echo.
For normal operation Ooma requires full-duplex speeds or operations, which allow two way traffic at the same time.
Often rebooting the Modem will at least temporarily restore full-duplex operations or speeds. Remove power from the Modem. Repower the Modem and make test calls to see if you can carry one a conversation with both parties talking at the same time.
If you find that rebooting the Modem at least temporarily cures the problem, but then it comes back, for testing, connect Modem-Ooma only and test for a while to see if the Modem remains at full-duplex speed.

If the Modem remains at full-duplex speeds while connected only Modem-Ooma, something connected to your LAN is pulling your Modem down to half-duplex speeds. For testing, you have to reconnect one thing at a time (LAN device) until you fine the culprit.
If when the connection is only Modem-Ooma, and the Modem goes to, or stays in, half-duplex, without the Router or any other device connected to the LAN, then probably the Modem is defective.

If you are having dropouts or disconnects change your Ooma Setup MAC address from Automatic to Use Built In. Procedure follows:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

dwpenn wrote:We try taking calls on Ooma out of habit, it hosts our primary and long-standing number, then we have to end that call to switch to our cell phones to actually have and finish the conversation. My wife takes business calls here and can't be a beta tester for something not ready for prime time. Because it's become a constant the people calling no longer suspect it could be their line, and are wondering why she isn't getting her phone problem fixed. COX has been out to the house and tested the signal going to and from their modem, including raw signal strength and upload/download rates. The cox delivery to our home is definitely within their specifications and is high speed.

My OOMA is direct-connected to the COX (HS cable) modem before any other device.

The poor quality persists regardless of hour of the day or whether any other network component is powered up and doing anything.

We've not been able to make a distinction on whether there is a any difference between it being a local or out of area code call. All calls experience the problem equally.

I'm looking for any ideas before I give up on Ooma and pack it up back to Costco. I only hesitate because of the trouble it was (and will be again) to port numbers.The idea of the savings was great, but if you can't hold a conversation there is no real savings. Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions to salvage Ooma.