This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#94013 by Duhhh
Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:59 am
I've had my telo for a year. I've had intermittent audio problems since the start. The INCOMING audio is garbled, but no one has said the outgoing audio is ever bad. I've tested ping, jitter and throughput while I'm having the problem, and they're all good (I have 6+Mbps down, 1+Mbps up, with a ping of 20ms and jitter of 3ms to a host ~150 miles away). While on a call, throughput will be about 40Kbps down, 60Kbps up.

I've tried modem->ooma->router and also modem->router->ooma. I am using the built-in MAC. Tech support had me try using QoS to solve the problem with no improvement. I keep sending updates to tech support, they haven't come up with anything (could it be a bad Telo? no offer to swap it out has been made). Right now, I have the system hooked up modem->router->ooma (mainly so I can use my router to help diagnose the problem). I've given the telo a static IP and turned on port 80 forwarding so I can access the telo setup through my local network. It's on version 52474.

The problem comes & goes: the usual scenario is after I've been on a call for about 10 minutes I'll start hearing garbling to the point where the conversation is unintelligible. It doesn't matter if it's an incoming or outgoing call. Sometimes hanging up and redialing fixes it, other times that does nothing. I work from home, and when I need the phone, I would like to be able to understand what's being said on the other end. Before dumping Ooma completely, is there anything I haven't tried that might make a difference?

I've been using UpSnap.com (broadcast radio via telephone) to test it - I can get a talk radio stream on the phone and listen for garbling. Sometimes I can listen for an hour without a problem, but the next time I test it'll go bad again.
#94034 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:13 pm
Duhhh:
Some more things to try:
When using Modem-Router-Ooma setup, try setting your Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speed settings each to about 1000 Kbps higher then the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedtest, http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . Then test.

If you haven't done so already, try powering off your Ooma device for one hour. Then repower the Ooma device and test. Sometimes this procedure has to be done up to three times for success.

Another thing to do is when you are experiencing garbled voice, try surfing the Internet at the same time. If you experience Browser stalls, stops or the browser becomes very slow, there probably is a problem with your Internet signal.

If your Ooma device is still within the one year warranty period, you have to ask Ooma for replacement if you think it needed. Sometimes in the past, if the Ooma device was out of warranty by just a few days, Ooma would allow you to purchase the extended warranty, then send a replacement Ooma device.
#94036 by EX Bell
Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:38 pm
Duhhh wrote:I've tested ping, jitter and throughput while I'm having the problem, and they're all good (I have 6+Mbps down, 1+Mbps up, with a ping of 20ms and jitter of 3ms to a host ~150 miles away). While on a call, throughput will be about 40Kbps down, 60Kbps up.

Can we have a little more information please. You say while on a call you have 40kbps down and 60kbps up. That's not correct for either the Telo or your computer. My internet service gives me 6Mbps down/640 kbps up. My router QoS is set to limit my connection to 520 kbps up which ends up being roughly 512 kbps upload in practice. That's perfect, because 80% of 640 kbps is exactly 512 kbps and that's were it should be.

Here's my measured connection over my WiFi network when I'm on the phone (clarity on my Ooma calls is perfect)

Download Speed: 5595 kbps
Upload Speed: 466 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 94%
Upload Consistency of Service: 99%
Maximum TCP Delay: 72 ms
Jitter you -> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter server -> you: 4.8 ms
Packet loss: you -> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server -> you: 0.4%
Packet discards: 0.6%
Packets out of order: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

When I'm not on the phone, here's what it measures over my WiFi.

Download Speed: 5845 kbps
Upload Speed: 514 kbps
Download Consistency of Service: 94%
Upload Consistency of Service: 98%
Maximum TCP Delay: 136 ms
Jitter you -> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter server -> you: 0.7 ms
Packet loss: you -> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server -> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Could you go to Phonepower, run the test and post your results here.
Also, what brand and exact model of router do you have? Do you know if it's updated to the latest firmware version?
#94043 by Duhhh
Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:53 am
To answer the most recent questions:

The "new" cable modem I got was a refurb. My local TWC office was out of new ones. I'm watching it carefully, so far I have seen no problems (and today, only a couple of seconds of garbled audio on Ooma). As for putting the telo in front of the router? Nope - last time I did that the telo reset and took out the whole network while I was out of town. I don't need that hassle again.

Thunderbird: What would it do by setting the telo's QoS when I have the telo behind the router, and nothing plugged into the telo "home" port? There's nothing downstream of the telo, so throttling at the telo via QoS does nothing.

Did you mean setting QoS on the router and give the telo high priority? I tried that, with no effect. QoS is currently turned off on my router (tends to cancel the benefit of TWC's "turbo boost"). Whenever I have a garbled connection, I check both local network traffic and WAN traffic to see if something is using all the bandwidth. That's never the case.

Ex Bell: You say my measurements aren't correct for either the telo or my computer. Perhaps I didn't make it clear. When the only appreciable use of the network is the telo, I see a network usage (going out the WAN) of about 40-60Kbps. I haven't unplugged everything else, so there is a bit of parasitic use, (about 5kbps). I have seen throughput of as much as 120Kbps while on the phone, but without killing all other network devices, it's hard to say if that's all telo.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G v.2 with DD-WRT v24 firmware.

I just ran a phonepower.com test using this new modem (middle of the night when there was no other traffic):

Download Speed: 18.5Mbps
Upload Speed: 1.962 Mbps
Download consistency of Service: 84%
Upload consistency of Service: 99%
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 33 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 1 ms
Average round trip time to server: 36 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 24 Mbps
Route concurrency: 1.2970988
Download TCP forced idle: 41%
Maximum route speed: 524280 kbps
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server--> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you--> server: 0.0%
Packet loss: server--> you: 0.0%
Packet discards: 0.0%
Estimated MOS score: 4.2
#94044 by EX Bell
Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:04 am
Duhhh wrote:Ex Bell: You say my measurements aren't correct for either the telo or my computer. Perhaps I didn't make it clear. When the only appreciable use of the network is the telo, I see a network usage (going out the WAN) of about 40-60Kbps. I haven't unplugged everything else, so there is a bit of parasitic use, (about 5kbps). I have seen throughput of as much as 120Kbps while on the phone, but without killing all other network devices, it's hard to say if that's all telo.

The router is a Linksys WRT54G v.2 with DD-WRT v24 firmware.

I understand now, thanks for clarifying. I wondered what you meant by "mainly so I can use my router to help diagnose the problem", because most consumer routers don't allow very high level logging, but with DD-WRT you've got a better set of tools to work with.

Have you tried doing a 30/30/30 reset on the router? Before you flashed your 54G (54G right? Not 54GS!) did you read the peacock thread line for line?! Are you using a build from the router database? It's not SP1 is it!? You did at 30/30/30 reset before and after flashing!?

Additionally, I'll say that while I do run DD-WRT in my house on my E2000, which serves as a VPN client for my HTPC, it does not act as my gateway. I use a WRT160Nv3 with stock firmware for that purpose. Reason is, I found the QoS of DD-WRT did not function correctly. Voice quality was still bad even when it was active. Without QoS managing my network traffic, voice quality on the Telo was mediocre at best, often garbled. I reverted the router to stock firmware and it's been working perfect ever since. Can you possibly get your hands on a newer Cisco Linksys (Broadcom chipset) router to test? To be clear, set-up should be modem-router-ooma. Factory reset the Telo to eliminate the variables before you test. Here's a setup guide from my WRT160Nv3. Should be at least similar or understandable enough that you can figure out the differences. This setup has been very solid for me, so I hope I'm able to help you with it.

PDF Download: Cisco Linksys setup for Ooma
#94045 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:49 am
Duhhh wrote:To answer the most recent questions:
Thunderbird: What would it do by setting the telo's QoS when I have the telo behind the router, and nothing plugged into the telo "home" port? There's nothing downstream of the telo, so throttling at the telo via QoS does nothing.

Did you mean setting QoS on the router and give the telo high priority? I tried that, with no effect. QoS is currently turned off on my router (tends to cancel the benefit of TWC's "turbo boost"). Whenever I have a garbled connection, I check both local network traffic and WAN traffic to see if something is using all the bandwidth. That's never the case.

Certain "builds" of Ooma Telo's, Quality of Service settings, become a little "buggy" at times. When using a Modem-Router-Ooma connection Ooma recommends setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds to Zero, which is the first suggestion I normally give to someone connecting Modem-Router-Ooma.
But when Quality of Service problems occur, setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service setting about 1000 Kbps higher then the measured Uplaod and Download speeds, as measured by Phonepower Speedtest, will often prevent intermittent poor Ooma phone service. Setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service speeds to higher speeds then the Internet provider provides, seems to prevent any random sudden throttling back of the bandwidth being used by the Ooma device. This setting works for some people, and for others it doesn’t work. It works for me.
#94058 by Duhhh
Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:38 am
thunderbird wrote:Setting the Ooma Setup Quality of Service speeds to higher speeds then the Internet provider provides, seems to prevent any random sudden throttling back of the bandwidth being used by the Ooma device. This setting works for some people, and for others it doesn’t work. It works for me.

So, you think that the telo throttles itself? That would be a huge bug in their QoS logic. Since the telo QoS is only supposed to throttle downstream packets, so that packets generated (or delivered) by the telo get through. You're saying to set the telo's QoS to higher throughput than the network can possibly achieve might stop that buggy throttling? I'd say it's a longshot, but I can try it and see if it makes a difference. That sounds like something that should have been fixed if it is happening.

If this is the case, wouldn't it just be best to set the telo's QoS numbers to something ridiculously high?