This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93909 by 8654835850
Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:47 pm
I have call quality issues (garbled, dropped words) when I call my friend who uses Magic Jack. When she calls me things are okay. Other people I call I do not have issues with most of the time. What gives?
#93911 by thunderbird
Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:57 pm
8654835850 wrote:I have call quality issues (garbled, dropped words) when I call my friend who uses Magic Jack. When she calls me things are okay. Other people I call I do not have issues with most of the time. What gives?

The first thing to do, if you haven't already done so:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Next Ooma Quality of Service setting for a Modem-Ooma-Router connection:
Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update.

Then test making and receiving calls.
#93912 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:04 pm
If trouble is only when talking with MagicJack subscribers, then don't worry about it. MagicJack users sound terrible most of the time.
#93984 by jakeman02
Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm
I was logging in to post the same exact issue. I've had Ooma for 2ish years and never had a problem with call quality until recently.

I've got 1 friend who uses Magic Jack as her only phone service and has been doing so for about the same amount of time I've been with Ooma. Everything was fine until a few weeks ago. Every time she calls me or I call her (Ooma to Magic Jack or Magic Jack to Ooma her voice is garbled and I can hardly make out anything she's saying.

I've done some trouble shooting to try and isolate the issue. I've had her call me from her Magic Jack to a landline I have in the house and it's fine and every other call she or I make and receive is fine. It's just between these two numbers with her having Magic Jack and me with Ooma that things are garbled.

Any insight would be appreciated.
#93988 by 8654835850
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:35 pm
I posted the original query for this problem. I used the advice provided about resetting Ooma and testing the speeds and resetting that as well. I have only had a few calls since so I will not say the problem is solved. I suspect things are better and I do not seem to have suffered any worse effects from the changes. If you keep the advice tab open and open Ooma on a separate window tab you can toggle back and forth to do the directions a step at a time (or just print the advice page). I would run the speed test three times and use the average because I got two similar results and one noticeably slower (it was the first test). Please come back and post what happens to you. I'll update my post after I have enough experience to form a conclusion. Good luck! (P.S. - the "Advanced" button mentioned in the instructions is on the left side in the menu area - I almost missed it because I was looking for another pop up or something near the bottom of the screen.)
#93989 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm
8654835850 wrote:I posted the original query for this problem. I used the advice provided about resetting Ooma and testing the speeds and resetting that as well. I have only had a few calls since so I will not say the problem is solved. I suspect things are better and I do not seem to have suffered any worse effects from the changes. If you keep the advice tab open and open Ooma on a separate window tab you can toggle back and forth to do the directions a step at a time (or just print the advice page). I would run the speed test three times and use the average because I got two similar results and one noticeably slower (it was the first test). Please come back and post what happens to you. I'll update my post after I have enough experience to form a conclusion. Good luck! (P.S. - the "Advanced" button mentioned in the instructions is on the left side in the menu area - I almost missed it because I was looking for another pop up or something near the bottom of the screen.)

Quote: "I would run the speed test three times and use the average because I got two similar results and one noticeably slower (it was the first test). Please come back and post what happens to you".

It is a good idea to run Phonepower Speed test more then one time. I'd use the two out of three values, and probably toss the noticeably slower results.

One other thing that you can do, if you continue to have problems, is to power off the Ooma device for more then one hour. Then repower the Ooma device. This procedure allows the Ooma servers to reconfigure, to provide the latest data, and correct errors, for your Ooma profile.
#94559 by 8654835850
Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:38 pm
Follow-up report. After making the changes to my Ooma settings, things were okay for a few days and then they became even worse than before - conversation was impossible. I switched to a Magic Jack I had and experienced the same problems. From that I concluded the problem was in my internet service provider since using my cell phone was fine. A week later, I lost my internet connection. After I powered everything down (modem, ooma, router, PC) and back up, things were much improved. How long that will last is anyone's speculation. Thanks, Thunderbird, for your comments.
#94561 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:16 pm
8654835850 wrote:Follow-up report. After making the changes to my Ooma settings, things were okay for a few days and then they became even worse than before - conversation was impossible. I switched to a Magic Jack I had and experienced the same problems. From that I concluded the problem was in my internet service provider since using my cell phone was fine. A week later, I lost my internet connection. After I powered everything down (modem, ooma, router, PC) and back up, things were much improved. How long that will last is anyone's speculation. Thanks, Thunderbird, for your comments.

I wonder if your Modem is the problem? Often when you reboot the Modem and things get better, the Modem is the culprit. Next time you have problems, (if there is a next time) power down the Modem only. Then repower the Modem. Then test and see if only rebooting the Modem helps.
#95484 by Squidward
Wed May 02, 2012 6:02 pm
I am still getting used to my ooma, but overall, I like it. I signed up for the premier service and have two numbers - one for home and one for business. My mother-in-law has a Magicjack. If she calls me or I call her,the conversation is where she hears me fine, but she sounds very choppy to me. If I call her on my cell, there is no issue. In my opinion, it is something to do with the interaction between the Magicjack and Ooma device. Still troubleshooting.
#95517 by 8654835850
Thu May 03, 2012 8:01 am
If you find a fix, please come back and post it. I've been using my cell phone with my girlfriend because OOMA to Magic Jack is so undependable.