This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#96493 by Studly
Wed May 30, 2012 6:23 am
dsinternet wrote:Sorry to see you go. I am in the Twin Cities area and only have minor issue over the last two years.

Are you using area code 952, which is what our numbers are? Ooma tech support temporarily reassigned numbers from a different area code, and had us test it, and no problems. So I'm thinking the problem is with the 952 area code and how those outgoing calls are routed.
#96505 by dsinternet
Wed May 30, 2012 8:25 am
Studly wrote:
dsinternet wrote:Sorry to see you go. I am in the Twin Cities area and only have minor issue over the last two years.

Are you using area code 952, which is what our numbers are? Ooma tech support temporarily reassigned numbers from a different area code, and had us test it, and no problems. So I'm thinking the problem is with the 952 area code and how those outgoing calls are routed.

651 area code
#96677 by fullcircle
Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:57 am
I have been using Ooma for 3 years now in Minneapolis area of Minnesota. After moving from Sunrocket to Vonage to Ooma, it was a night and day difference how good Ooma was, but it seems every 3-8 months I have call quality issues that end up getting racked up as unknown cause and resolution. I have been through 2 different locations and 2 internet service providers: Minneapolis and Plymouth using qwest/centurylink and comcast but always on the same 612 number. It isn't every call that is bad, it is random maybe 1 out of 10-15 calls and doesn't matter outgoing or incoming or the number calling or dialed. Just random.

In February 2012, the call quality was so bad and Ooma couldn't come up with reason but to blame qwest/centurylink as usual and centurylink actually admitted they had a problem that they couldn't figure out how to fix after 6+ visits to my home office. So I got comcast internet and was amazed by how fast it was vs. centurylink, but I was very nervous about using a shared internet service like cable internet as I know there can be bandwidth/quality issues that are outside your control and caused by neighbors downloading who knows what like torrents, etc. Overall for the first few months the service was outstanding from comcast, but now here I sit having call quality issues again. I run my business from my home so I can't have quality issues at all when talking to customers. Normal people would just bite the bulet and get a landline but since centurylink said they can't fix the problem I am kind of in a pinch and really don't want to leave Ooma for what could be more problems else where.

Overall on all my speed and quality line tests everything comes back golden every time (speed, jitter, packet loss, etc), so I am very doubtful it is my comcast internet. I have been running PingPlotter program that pings vpn.ooma.com every 1 second and have <1% packet loss over 300,000 pings. Again really doubt it is my internet. I have mainly used the ooma in front of the router so it could do the QOS but recently a level 2 tech wanted me to put it behind so I did for a week and it made no difference. I have finally got through to level 3 tech support, but like others have mentioned it is like pulling teeth to get good service and actually an email/phone call follow up. So far they haven't seen any of the requests level 2 people put into engineering to look into it which is great to learn that after sitting on countless phone calls with level 2 and them saying they are working on it. Actually getting a resolution will really surprise me based on the poor cust service so far but I will give Ooma the benefit of the doubt again and keep waiting.

I am wondering based on the randomness of the poor quality calls if it is either 2 things: the actual phone switch exchange for 612 number I am using is having random issues and is bad or it is truly comcast which they have tested everything for 3 weeks (and I have bought the best modem (SB6121) they suggested) and they don't see any dropped packets and the line levels are rock solid.

After 5+ years of using and researching Voip, I am starting to wonder if it is too variable to use for a home business phone, but then I wonder how so many large business use voip for their whole phone network and dont seem to have any issues. I have educated myself on voip more than I ever wanted to know so I am willing to try anything if someone has a suggestion.

Has any one in MN seen any resolution to problems similar to this?
#96681 by Studly
Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:28 am
fullcircle wrote:I have been using Ooma for 3 years now in Minneapolis area of Minnesota. After moving from Sunrocket to Vonage to Ooma, it was a night and day difference how good Ooma was, but it seems every 3-8 months I have call quality issues that end up getting racked up as unknown cause and resolution. I have been through 2 different locations and 2 internet service providers: Minneapolis and Plymouth using qwest/centurylink and comcast but always on the same 612 number. It isn't every call that is bad, it is random maybe 1 out of 10-15 calls and doesn't matter outgoing or incoming or the number calling or dialed. Just random.

In February 2012, the call quality was so bad and Ooma couldn't come up with reason but to blame qwest/centurylink as usual and centurylink actually admitted they had a problem that they couldn't figure out how to fix after 6+ visits to my home office. So I got comcast internet and was amazed by how fast it was vs. centurylink, but I was very nervous about using a shared internet service like cable internet as I know there can be bandwidth/quality issues that are outside your control and caused by neighbors downloading who knows what like torrents, etc. Overall for the first few months the service was outstanding from comcast, but now here I sit having call quality issues again. I run my business from my home so I can't have quality issues at all when talking to customers. Normal people would just bite the bulet and get a landline but since centurylink said they can't fix the problem I am kind of in a pinch and really don't want to leave Ooma for what could be more problems else where.

Overall on all my speed and quality line tests everything comes back golden every time (speed, jitter, packet loss, etc), so I am very doubtful it is my comcast internet. I have been running PingPlotter program that pings vpn.ooma.com every 1 second and have <1% packet loss over 300,000 pings. Again really doubt it is my internet. I have mainly used the ooma in front of the router so it could do the QOS but recently a level 2 tech wanted me to put it behind so I did for a week and it made no difference. I have finally got through to level 3 tech support, but like others have mentioned it is like pulling teeth to get good service and actually an email/phone call follow up. So far they haven't seen any of the requests level 2 people put into engineering to look into it which is great to learn that after sitting on countless phone calls with level 2 and them saying they are working on it. Actually getting a resolution will really surprise me based on the poor cust service so far but I will give Ooma the benefit of the doubt again and keep waiting.

I am wondering based on the randomness of the poor quality calls if it is either 2 things: the actual phone switch exchange for 612 number I am using is having random issues and is bad or it is truly comcast which they have tested everything for 3 weeks (and I have bought the best modem (SB6121) they suggested) and they don't see any dropped packets and the line levels are rock solid.

After 5+ years of using and researching Voip, I am starting to wonder if it is too variable to use for a home business phone, but then I wonder how so many large business use voip for their whole phone network and dont seem to have any issues. I have educated myself on voip more than I ever wanted to know so I am willing to try anything if someone has a suggestion.

Has any one in MN seen any resolution to problems similar to this?

I'm the OP who started this thread, and I'd suggest signing up for a free VOIP service, like Google's, and testing that. ( I bought a USB headset to do the same thing and just tested it using that plugged into my PC, and that's how I knew for sure that since that worked fine and all my phonepower.com tests came out great, the problem was on Ooma's end.)

If that works fine with your ISP and modem configuration, then you know the problem is on Ooma's side.

To confirm the problem with my Ooma service, the 3rd level techie temporarily assigned me a new number in a Calif. area code and had me make calls from that. No problems. That let them know that the problem was with calls originating from my 952 area code.

After my last posting on this topic and starting to move one of my two lines over to a new VOIP service, I'm happy to report that we had a follow up call and message from Ooma's director of operations, who oversees support, late last week. He said they just made some engineering/routing changes and to try it now and let them know if we have any further problems. So far so good, but we haven't made a lot of calls yet to thoroughly test it. But I'm encouraged at least that we got through to an Ooma exec. Hopefully I can keep one of my phone lines with Ooma if they've fixed it.

I'd suggest you call 3rd level support and tell them you read of someone else in your area having the same problem and Ooma had to adjust the routing of the calls. If that doesn't work ask them to transfer you to the director of operations who (may have) fixed this problem for another person on Ooma's forum.
#96688 by fullcircle
Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:40 pm
Yes, I have google voice via an Obi110 on my network and it works great without any call problems. I have seriously considered switching to GV since it works so well and is free, but the problem that exists is that there is very little support for GV should a problem come up thus why it is free. Then again, Ooma support has been little help over the years anyway I guess. Maybe they will shock me on this service request and get it fixed.

Thanks for the heads up on the director of operations getting in touch with you. That is certainly a good sign that you are getting exposure to the right people. I have been in contact with Jeremy at level 3 support and I left him a VM this morning. When I hear back from him (hopefully soon), I will let him know I read this thread regarding local people having similar issues. I would certainly hope they will learn when people are truly having problems vs. someone that doesn't know what they are doing and hasn't done their research. We have over 5 ooma Telo boxes among my extended family and have supported Ooma premier from the start years back.
#96805 by jpainter
Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:40 am
I am having similar issues with quality of service and I'm in TN.

In the beginning, OOMA worked great. Now voice quality is very "hit and miss". One time callers will tell me that my voice is broken like a bad cell connection. The next time I can talk fine. Sometimes the problem starts right away, sometimes the beginning of the call is fine, than after about 20 minutes it starts to break up again.

I've run the speed tests and adjusted the settings per the OOMA knowledge base articles. That doesn't help. I've changed phones and that doesn't help.

I also run a business from my home and am at a loss what to do.

Does anyone else in the 931 area code have similar problems?
#98218 by rocksockdoc
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:17 am
My only suggestion is that the Ooma techs can actually run a speedtest from them to you.

Remember, all your speedtests are from your computer to a server, only one of which is an ooma server:
http://myspeed.visualware.com/indexvoip.php
http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest
http://linetest.ooma.com
http://speedtest.net

But the tech can run a speedtest from the Ooma server directly to your Ooma.

For example, I asked for the level 3 tech and then we tested different QoS settings.
a) First he'd run a speedtest from Ooma to my telo.
b) Then I'd change a router setting
c) Then he'd run another speedtest from Ooma to my telo

That's how we honed the settings.