This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93809 by Studly
Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:40 pm
I posted a few days ago (see the thread I started at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13438) about bad call quality in recent weeks where words are dropping out of conversations and "poofing" sounds every couple seconds when using the phone for most numbers that we dial. The problem is really bad on most calls where neither party can make out what the other is saying.

I took the suggestions of others in this forum to turn off MAC spoofing and set my QOS settings higher (didn't make a difference whether at 500-2,000) . I have a Ooma hub system and it's connected after the modem, before the router.

The problems don't appear to be with my Internet connection. My Phonepower tests always come out great. Here's my latest one right after we had another bad quality phone call:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 22009 kbps
Upload speed: 3240 kbps
Download consistency of service: 80 %
Upload consistency of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 59 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 3 ms
Average round trip time to server: 50 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 22009 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 14 %
Maximum route speed: 174760 kbps

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

I tested the power supply to my hub (it was fine), tried different electrical outlets and also tried another Ooma hub that I have, tried different power supply cords, tried different phones, tried using just the hub with the line disconnected from the "wall" port, and the same bad call quality keeps happening. I also did hard resets on the hubs and no difference.

Since I've tried this on different hubs and my Internet connection is always good whenever I test it, I'm thinking the problem has to be on Ooma's side. Is there anything Ooma can do to test my line from their end or test the servers assigned to my line? Hopefully there will be an Ooma tech on this forum who can help.

Also, anyone else in Minnesota experiencing a similar bad call quality?
#93812 by Studly
Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:42 pm
thunderbird wrote:Studly:
Contact Ooma Customer Service:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Please let the forum know how you come out.

Yeah, but I was hoping to get a more advanced Ooma tech, like they used to have on these forums. Whenever I call Ooma support, the first-level reps there who answer the phone just have you do the same things over and over that I've already done. (Plus don't want to use up all my cell minutes calling them to go over the same things.) Was hoping to get maybe a level 2 or more advanced rep ... anyone know if they monitor these forums?

Do they respond to email support requests? They didn't used to, but haven't tried in the last year or so.
#93878 by sillejo
Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:58 pm
I also live in Minnesota. Mineapolis. I have Comcast and have an office line from Vonage here at my house. I front that with a Google voice number and many times answer that direct on my laptop via Chrome instead of taking it on the Vonage adapter.

I've had Ooma for 3 years now and this year the Hub started to give really bad echo and poor call quality with the outside caller dropping out all together for several seconds. I keep both the Vonage and Ooma units outside my Wireless router and I set the switch the are on to prioritize RTP to the Comcast modem.

Even if I power off all the other laptops and unplug the Vonage adapter, I still get Echo and choppy call quality when using the Ooma. We swapped out the attached phone with the one from my office which has never had a problem. We still have issues.

I got into the Ooma and set the upload to 512 and the download to 128. Still have issues.

After reading about the magnetic field issue, I'll try separating the Ooma power adapter from any other power sources on the strip, but I don't have high hopes.
#93882 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 10, 2012 6:15 pm
sillejo wrote:I also live in Minnesota. Minneapolis. I have Comcast and have an office line from Vonage here at my house. I front that with a Google voice number and many times answer that direct on my laptop via Chrome instead of taking it on the Vonage adapter.

I've had Ooma for 3 years now and this year the Hub started to give really bad echo and poor call quality with the outside caller dropping out all together for several seconds. I keep both the Vonage and Ooma units outside my Wireless router and I set the switch the are on to prioritize RTP to the Comcast modem.

For testing:
For "outside caller dropping out all together for several seconds", try surfing the Internet at the same time that you are having this problem with your Ooma device.
If your computer browser stops, stalls, slows and then starts again, the problem is probably with your Modem or Internet provider.
sillejo wrote:Even if I power off all the other laptops and unplug the Vonage adapter, I still get Echo and choppy call quality when using the Ooma. We swapped out the attached phone with the one from my office which has never had a problem. We still have issues.

For testing:
When you are hearing echo, remove power from your Modem and then repower it. Then make test call on your Ooma device right away.
Note: Some Modems contain batteries that must be temporarily removed to be able to have a successful reboot. Reference your Modem Owner's manual.

Have you tried using a DECT 6 phone? DECT 6 phones often help with Echo.
sillejo wrote:I got into the Ooma and set the upload to 512 and the download to 128. Still have issues.

Ooma suggests that you have a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds. So your download speed is set too low if you have a Modem-Ooma-Router connection. The low download speed can cause broken and dropped calls.
Measure your Upload and Download speeds with Phonepower Speedtest, http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest .
For a Modem-Ooma-Router connection, access Ooma Setup and set your Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds to 80% of the speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedtest.
For a Modem-Router-Ooma connection, set both of your Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds to zero.

While you are in Ooma Setup, if you haven't done so already, change your MAC address from the Automatic setting, to Use Built In MAC address. Most often this setting will help to prevent dropped calls, garbled voice, and other problems.
sillejo wrote:After reading about the magnetic field issue, I'll try separating the Ooma power adapter from any other power sources on the strip, but I don't have high hopes.

The Ooma device should be located about three to four feet from all other electrical/electronic devices.
#94415 by Studly
Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:00 am
Just an update to my original post. I emailed Ooma support about my problem, and a tech got back to me and asked several questions, which I responded to. Then the techs quit responding (haven't gotten a response from them in about 2 weeks, despite my follow up emails to them) and the issue has not been resolved. I opened a new ticket via email, and no response to that. I even sent messages to the forum moderators who work at Ooma (Ntoy, Bobby B and Dennis P) and asked if they could help get tech support to respond. No response from them neither.

I have to say this is really disappointing e-mail support (if you can call it that) provided by Ooma ... they just drop the ball on the matter and won't respond back. Never had this happen before with any company's e-mail support, where they just won't respond.

If anyone else is having a call quality problem like mine, here's some more info I discovered: I've narrowed the problem down to outgoing calls only. And although on some days it can happen on most outgoing calls, on most days it happens on about 30% of outgoing calls. When I'm having the problem, before the person even answers, while their phone is ringing, I can hear a "poof" sound every couple seconds, followed by a drop out of all sound on the line for a half second or so. This repeats over and over every few seconds so it is extremely difficult to have a conversation with someone.

Using the same internet connection, I can make calls from other VOIP services (Google Talk) and they always sound fine. So I'm still thinking the problem is on Ooma's end, especially since I have this problem when testing different Ooma hubs.

Last night I made one call, had the "poofing" and sound drop-out problem, and after hanging up, immediately dialed another phone number and did not have any problems. And in between calls, I ran a PhonePower test, and as usual, it came out with great results, similar to the results I posted earlier in this thread.

Anyone else have similar problems? Anyone know any techniques for getting Ooma support to respond and escalate the issue to higher level support that will actually look into it and respond?
#94422 by Studly
Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:14 am
In Ooma Setup, under Tools, do you have a Port Scan tab? If so, click on that tab and then click on the Basic Scan. Cut and paste the results here.

In the hub setup, I don't see a "port scan" tab. But I do have a "Ports" screen, which says the following:

HOME Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:03:34:10
inet addr:172.27.35.1 Bcast:172.27.35.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:113308 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:93535 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:10148746 (9.6 MiB) TX bytes:15950320 (15.2 MiB)
Interrupt:14
MODEM Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:18:61:03:34:11
inet addr:97.92.88.183 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:255.255.252.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:1825581 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:275525 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:136231195 (129.9 MiB) TX bytes:25121551 (23.9 MiB)
Interrupt:13
#94426 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:38 pm
Studly:
To bad the Ooma Hub doesn't have the Ooma Setup port scan function. Your problem might have been a good canidate to use the port scan for troubleshooting.

Power off the Ooma device for 1 hour. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. While the Ooma device is off-line, reboot your modem.
#94444 by Studly
Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:51 am
To bad the Ooma Hub doesn't have the Ooma Setup port scan function. Your problem might have been a good canidate to use the port scan for troubleshooting.

Power off the Ooma device for 1 hour. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test. While the Ooma device is off-line, reboot your modem.

Thanks for the suggestions, T-bird, in this and my earlier postings.

Tried powering it off for 1 hour, and we're still having the same call quality issues. For instance, this morning made a local call and had the problem with sound dropping out every few seconds. I called the same number right back and the connection was fine.