This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93517 by Studly
Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 pm
I have the Ooma hub and scout which has worked fine for several years now. In the last 3 weeks or so, we've been having problems on most calls where we hear blank spots when others are talking and words are dropping out of the conversation. Sometimes you may only hear every other word that the person is saying.

Sometimes they don't hear us or our words are dropping out. The problem is worse when using the phone connected to the Scout. Also, one strange thing is that when we call someone and their phone is ringing, we here an extra "poomph" sound after every ring, on all numbers we call, local and long distance.

Our system is connected as Modem>Ooma>Router. We also use a fairly new Docsis 3 modem that hasn't ever caused problems.

We called Ooma and they had us run speed tests (we have 25 meg down and 3 meg up), and ping tests and our connection results came away with flying colors. We generally have a great connection and don't have any problems with any other Internet devices, even those that require high speed Internet service. The Ooma rep had us change the QOS setting so they are both 500, but other than that, didn't have us do anything else.

I saw on these forums that some people recommended running VOIP Speed Test (http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html). When I ran that, it showed problems with packet loss. But when I run other packet loss tests on other sites, then they don't show any packet loss problems. Is that VOIP Speed Test site dependable with its results?

Anyone have any idea on what other things we could do to test or fix this? Thanks in advance for any tips you may have.
#93525 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm
Studly:
The Speed test http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest (http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html) is the best that I've found. If you run Phonepower Speedtest and find that you are having dropped packets, or packets out of order, or jitter higher then 5ms, you have a problem with your Modem or Internet provider signal.
Try removing power from your Modem, then repower the Modem. Then run Phonepower Speedtest again and see if there is an improvement. If there isn't an improvement, check your Modem owners manual and see if there is a reset function. After the reset run Phonepower again.

If you haven't done so in the past, do the following. The procedure was written for the Ooma Telo, but the Ooma Hub procedure is simular.
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls garbled voice, and other problems, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#93559 by Studly
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:55 am
Thanks for the tips. Everything came up good on the Phonepower test and no packet loss on the multiple tests I ran.

Just made those changes to the Ooma setup screen that you recommended and will see if there is any improvement. Meantime, I mentioned in my first post that an Ooma rep earlier had me change my two QOS settings to 500. Does that sound correct? My download speed is usually 20-25 meg and upload is usually around 3 meg.
#93564 by thunderbird
Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:03 am
Studly wrote:Thanks for the tips. Everything came up good on the Phonepower test and no packet loss on the multiple tests I ran.

Just made those changes to the Ooma setup screen that you recommended and will see if there is any improvement. Meantime, I mentioned in my first post that an Ooma rep earlier had me change my two QOS settings to 500. Does that sound correct? My download speed is usually 20-25 meg and upload is usually around 3 meg.

Ooma suggests that you have around a minimum of 385 kbps download and 265 kbps upload speeds for your Ooma device's use. So 500 kbps should work for a Modem-Ooma-Router connection.

If the connection is Modem-Ooma-Router, usually the past, a setting of around 80% of the measured Upload and Download speeds, as measured by Phonepower Speedtest, http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest seemed to work pretty good.

If the connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, Ooma suggests the both the Uplaod and Download Internet Speeds be set to zero. Some people have had better luck with settings of about 1000 kbps higher then the the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedtest, http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest for a Modem-Router-Ooma connection.
#93577 by jmmastron
Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:49 pm
Hoping someone here can help me out??? I bought Ooma in January and had my numbe ported over on Feb. 6th. Initially, we had no call quality problems and everything was great (why I had the number ported). The last 3~4 weeks have been terrible for call quality. I have been on the phone with Ooma constantly with no resolution after weeks. I have a similar problem of "robotic" noise, words dropped out, etc. It is to the point where we cannot have a phone conversation with people. Very annoying!

My internet speed is 15Mbs D/L and 1 Mbs U/L. After weeks Ooma had me try the configurations below on my old Ooma box. Today, I connected a replacement box sent to me by customer service and same issues!!

Scroll down for speed test info.

HELP!!!!!

Setup #1: NOT WORKING
Modem > Ooma > Router
Upstream, 384
Downstream, 0
Automatic MAC

Setup #2: NOT WORKING
Modem > Ooma > Router
Upstream, 500
Downstream, 300
Use Built In MAC

Setup #3: NOT WORKING
Modem > Ooma > Router
Upstream, 0
Downstream, 0
Use Built In MAC

Setup #4: NOT WORKING
Modem > Ooma > Router
Upstream, 768
Downstream, 768
Use Built In MAC

Setup #5: NOT WORKING
Modem > Router > Ooma
Upstream, 0
Downstream, 0
Use Built In MAC
Set Port #2 on Router QOS to High

Setup #6: NOT WORKING
Modem > Oooma > Router
Upstream, 80% of 1 Mbs
Downstream, 80% of 15 Mbs
Use Built In MAC

Upstream jitter 1.2 ms
Downstream jitter 0.6 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 697 ms
INVITE ms 689 ms
BYE ms 5 ms
Test VoIP and Speed Test
#93578 by EX Bell
Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:53 pm
Setup #5: NOT WORKING
Modem > Router > Ooma
Upstream, 0
Downstream, 0
Use Built In MAC
Set Port #2 on Router QOS to High

This should work, if you check a couple of things. Make sure your connection from the router to the Telo is good. If it's direct ethernet, then unplug it from the Telo and plug it into your computer. Run the phonepower test. If you are using Home Plug ethernet over powerline adapters, then make sure they are delivering the speed needed for upload. I was using a cheap set of Belkin Home Plug adapters when I started with the Telo, but removed them to eliminate any issues. They were limiting my upload speed just enough where I thought they might be causing an issue when my ISP's speed decreased enough. My upload speed is 640 kb/s max at the best of times.

Upstream and downstream QoS settings of 0 on the Telo are correct when it's placed after the router. What brand, model, version and firmware revision is your router? To specify QoS on a specific port seems odd. Typically it is done by specifying the MAC address of the device which should have QoS applied to it. Set to High is fine, but don't they have a field where you can enter the specific upload limit? If there is a choice between automatic and manual QoS, choose the manual. Automatic does not work properly for the Telo on my router (Cisco Linksys WRT160Nv3) and I suspect it is also not working properly on yours if you are using it. If your upload speed is indeed 1 Mb/s or 1024 kb/s, then your upload QoS setting should be around 820 kb/s. Setting this to manual will probably slow all devices on your network down to 820 kb/s (approximately 80% of your measured upload speed), but it's necessary to make it work properly, at least on my router it is.

Specify a reserve IP address on your router for the Telo MAC address, at the high end of your IP address range. For example, if your network is 192.168.1.1, then reserve 192.168.1.253 for the Telo. Do not set the Telo to manual and enter a static IP, instead leave the Telo set to DHCP so it gets the IP you reserved from the router. It should pretty well be factory settings, other than QoS Up and Down to 0 because the Telo will be after the router. Don't forward ports on the Telo until you're sure that is not causing an issue. If you still have an issue, try switching the Telo Internet port MAC address back from "Use Build In" to "Automatic" and test again. I tried Automatic on mine and it seemed to do the opposite of what everyone suggests, and I started getting poor voice quality and dropped calls. Could have been other reasons, but my Telo is working fine, so I'm leaving it set to Automatic. If you still have issues, try putting your Telo into the router DMZ to eliminate any possible firewall issues blocking outgoing connections. This shouldn't normally be necessary, but if the problems go away, that's the most important thing.

Last but definately not least, make sure you don't have any strong magnetic fields near the Ooma Telo. For example, if you have something like a Powermat cell phone charger, keep it a foot or more away from the Telo. Strong magnetic fields can cause VoIP devices to display certain issues. I know this first hand. My wife put her Powermat for her iPhone right next to the Telo one day, and she suddenly experienced echo on calls when phoning her mother who has VoIP from Rogers Cable. Somebody here, ibmofo I think, mentioned strong magnetic fields in a post as a potential issue, not sure if it was related to echo or not. In any case, we moved the Powermat across the room and the issue stopped immediately.

Here's a good additional source for troubleshooting VoIP issues.
#93579 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 am
jmmastron wrote:Hoping someone here can help me out??? I bought Ooma in January and had my number ported over on Feb. 6th. Initially, we had no call quality problems and everything was great (why I had the number ported). The last 3~4 weeks have been terrible for call quality. I have been on the phone with Ooma constantly with no resolution after weeks. I have a similar problem of "robotic" noise, words dropped out, etc. It is to the point where we cannot have a phone conversation with people. Very annoying!

My internet speed is 15Mbs D/L and 1 Mbs U/L. After weeks Ooma had me try the configurations below on my old Ooma box. Today, I connected a replacement box sent to me by customer service and same issues!!

Since you replaced your Ooma Telo and you have the same problems with the replacement Ooma Telo, I'm wondering if you aren't haveing a problem with your Modem or Internet signal???

When you are placing a call and having Robotic voice and choppy voice issues, can you try surfing the Web at the same time, and see if your computer web pages stop or stall, and start slow, while being selected?

When you are placing a call and having Robotic voice and choppy voice issues, try rebooting your Modem. Then call right back and see if the Modem reboot improves the call quality.

When you are placing a call and having Robotic voice and choppy voice issues, is the Robotic voice and choppy voice heard by the other party at the other end of the call, or only on your end of the call?

When you are placing a call and having Robotic voice and choppy voice issues, right after the call is completed, run Phonepower Speedtest http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest , and see if the readings are worse then the readings that you posted.
Please post the following:
Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________
#93686 by jmmastron
Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Thanks for the advice.

To clarify " Typically it is done by specifying the MAC address of the device which should have QoS applied to it. Set to High is fine, but don't they have a field where you can enter the specific upload limit?"

I actually did use the MAC address of the Ooma in the setup. I also tried the port priorty setting. I have not manually limited the speed of the router becasue as you said I don't want to slow all devices down on my network.

I called Ooma back after getting a second device and as you mentioned abou the magnetic fields...No one ever mentioned about this so I happened to setup my Ooma about 16" away from speakers for my stereo and computer. Now Oooma is mailing out a 3rd device to try.

They are insisting I wait for the 3rd device before trying any configuration settings. in the mean time I have moved the speakers away and hoping this is the issue. Otherwise, all I have left is a printer, monitor and router next to the ooma.

I guess I can try some of the other tricks while I wait. Not getting a confident feeling here! This is beyond difficult from what I expected!
#93688 by jmmastron
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:26 pm
Download Speed: _____6389kbps___________
Upload Speed: ____1119kbps____________
Download Consistency of Service ___54%_____
Upload Consistency of Service ___98%______
Maximum TCP Delay ____106ms_________
Jitter you server __1.6ms________
Jitter server you __66.4ms_______
Packet loss: you server___0.0%____
Packet loss: server you __5.6%____
Packet discards ____0.0%_____
Packets out of order __0.0%_______
Estimated MOS score ___1.0_____
#93690 by murphy
Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:40 pm
jmmastron wrote:Download Speed: _____6389kbps___________
Upload Speed: ____1119kbps____________
Download Consistency of Service ___54%_____
Upload Consistency of Service ___98%______
Maximum TCP Delay ____106ms_________
Jitter you server __1.6ms________
Jitter server you __66.4ms_______
Packet loss: you server___0.0%____
Packet loss: server you __5.6%____
Packet discards ____0.0%_____
Packets out of order __0.0%_______
Estimated MOS score ___1.0_____

Download Consistency of Service ___54%_____ should be 80 % or better

Maximum TCP Delay ____106ms_________ should be less than 100 ms

Jitter server you __66.4ms_______ should be less than 5 ms

Packet loss: server you __5.6%____ should be 0%

Estimated MOS score ___1.0____ should be around 4

What are the signal levels in your modem?

http://192.168.100.1

downstream signal level
downstream SNR (signal to noise ratio)
upstream power level