This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#93074 by kallen
Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 am
I've used an Ooma device for several years with great results but just in the last few months I'll be 3-4 minutes into a call and it drops - every time. Call quality is great - but calls keep dropping. Wiring configuration is correct, the upload speed is just under 4, the download speed is 25 - 26. Ping rate info is: packets lost are always zero, ping consistently around 21ms and jitter seems to move in a range between a low of 2ms to a high of 7 or 8ms. I have comcast cable - not sure what speed.

That's the deal - any ideas why my calls have starting dropping (this never happened before about 2 months ago)?

Thanks!
#93075 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:49 am
kallen wrote:I've used an Ooma device for several years with great results but just in the last few months I'll be 3-4 minutes into a call and it drops - every time. Call quality is great - but calls keep dropping. Wiring configuration is correct, the upload speed is just under 4, the download speed is 25 - 26. Ping rate info is: packets lost are always zero, ping consistently around 21ms and jitter seems to move in a range between a low of 2ms to a high of 7 or 8ms. I have comcast cable - not sure what speed.

That's the deal - any ideas why my calls have starting dropping (this never happened before about 2 months ago)?

Thanks!

In Ooma Setup, make sure that you are using Built In MAC address. If not, change from Automatic, to Built In MAC address.

Other people have had the same problem. I believe the next Ooma Telo Firmware update will correct this problem, if you are using an Ooma Telo. The next firmware update is close to being released, but I don't know of an exact date.

A couple of other things that you can do as temporary measures, is to remove power from your Modem, then repower the Modem. Next remove power from your Ooma device for one Hour. Then repower the Ooma device.
#93076 by kallen
Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:39 am
[/quote]
In Ooma Setup, make sure that you are using Built In MAC address. If not, change from Automatic, to Built In MAC address.

Other people have had the same problem. I believe the next Ooma Telo Firmware update will correct this problem, if you are using an Ooma Telo. The next firmware update is close to being released, but I don't know of an exact date.

A couple of other things that you can do as temporary measures, is to remove power from your Modem, then repower the Modem. Next remove power from your Ooma device for one Hour. Then repower the Ooma device.[/quote]

Thanks Thunderbird! Please tell me more specifics on the built in MAC address. I don't know where to find "Setup" - looked on the website and see Preferences and Account but nothing there about Setup. Regarding the device itself (it's an Ooma Hub) all I know to do is power it off and and on again. Please give me some specifics and I'll go to work. Thanks!
#93084 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:03 pm
kallen:
For the dropped calls, if you haven't done so already do the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.
#93116 by kallen
Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm
thunderbird wrote:kallen:
For the dropped calls, if you haven't done so already do the following:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.


Thanks Thunderbird - I believe my setup is Modem-Ooma-Router but let's double check - I have a cable from the modem into the "modem" port on my Ooma Hub and a cable from the Internet port of my wireless router to the Home port of my Ooma Hub. Is that a modem-ooma-router setup?
#93419 by wenfeen
Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:32 am
I am also having the same problem; using Panasonic DECT 6.0 system with five phones. One phone gives me an echo, two others drop calls. I tried logging on to the http://172.27.35.1 but it wouldn't respond. The computer connected to my router is through Ethernet, Wi-fi is not turned on at that point but is on in other areas of the house. What is the trick to logging on to the Ooma setup area? I don't remember doing that when I purchased my Ooma modem. Any help will be appreciated! My internet is Comcast cable.
#93420 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:03 pm
wenfeen wrote:I am also having the same problem; using Panasonic DECT 6.0 system with five phones. One phone gives me an echo, two others drop calls. I tried logging on to the http://172.27.35.1 but it wouldn't respond. The computer connected to my router is through Ethernet, Wi-fi is not turned on at that point but is on in other areas of the house. What is the trick to logging on to the Ooma setup area? I don't remember doing that when I purchased my Ooma modem. Any help will be appreciated! My internet is Comcast cable.

If connected Modem-Router-Ooma, connect a network cable from the Ooma device Home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, If Wi-Fi is turned on in the computer.
Reboot the computer. Type: http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma setup pages should open.

If Ooma Setup still won't open, temporarily turn off virus and Internet protection software in the computer.

If Ooma seutp still won't open, try using firefox.

I Ooma Setup still won't open I can give you another procedure to check to see if you are using a static IP address in your computer. But you will have to tell me which operationg system is installed on the computer.

If you haven't done so already, set the INTERNET Port MAC Address: from Automatic to Use Built In MAC Address. Remove power from your Ooma device. Then repower your Ooma device and test.

For the phone that is giving you echo, try turning the phone's audio volume down slightly. If the phone still has echo, try removing power from your Modem. The repower your Modem, and test.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests