This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#92934 by singh007
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:03 pm
1st- Ooma works great when I call within the USA or Canada.

THE PROBLEM is when I call India. It is not just ONE number that I call, its EVERY number in different states.
-MOST of the time they can't hear me
-I have to dial the number 3-5 times to get through
-choppy voice

I contacted customer support and both times they had me change the upload speed to 400 (download set to 0). It has not helped.

SETUP- Cable modem (Roadrunner 50MB down, and 5MB up) to router (netgear wndr4000) to Ooma telo

I had the same setup on my Vonage before and NEVER had any issues.

PLEASE HELP!!!! I would like to keep Ooma but this really sucks because my parents call India A LOT.

Here is my speedtest:
#92936 by thunderbird
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:15 pm
singh007:
With the Modem-Router-Ooma connections, run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running test, dlick on the Phonepower Speedtest Advanced tab.
Set Ooma Setup Quality of Service Downstream Internet speed and Upstream Internet speed, to a value of about 1000 kbps higher that the reading that you get for Upload Speed and Download speed.

Also make sure that you are using Built In MAC address in Ooma Setup.

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

After these setting corrections, make test Ooma phone calls to India.
#92938 by singh007
Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:37 pm
Here are the results:

I went under the Ooma setup and the mac is already selected to BUILD IN. I changed the download and upload speed to 34000 (down) and 600 (up). I will make a test call in about 3 hours (due to the time difference) and report back. Hopefully this works.
#103992 by Bogandoche
Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 pm
Possibly a separate issue but I've been using relianceindiacall and ring123pinless to make calls to India, using ooma to make the local call. However, after calling thru to either reliance or ring123, their service does not recognize the dial tones. Called customer support on both but no help there.

Has anyone succeeded in trying this approach. If it works it less than 2c a min to call India
#103998 by lbmofo
Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm
Bogandoche wrote:Possibly a separate issue but I've been using relianceindiacall and ring123pinless to make calls to India, using ooma to make the local call. However, after calling thru to either reliance or ring123, their service does not recognize the dial tones. Called customer support on both but no help there.

Not sure what you mean. Many Ooma users use calling cards without issue; access the calling card local access and start dialing codes, this should work.
#104033 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:27 am
Bogandoche wrote:Possibly a separate issue but I've been using relianceindiacall and ring123pinless to make calls to India, using ooma to make the local call. However, after calling thru to either reliance or ring123, their service does not recognize the dial tones. Called customer support on both but no help there.

Has anyone succeeded in trying this approach. If it works it less than 2c a min to call India

Some times if you press the key pad numbers slightly longer then normal the key pad tones will go through.

I believe Ooma know about this issue and is working on it.
#104170 by Bogandoche
Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:35 pm
Thanks for replying.

a) OOMA charges 8.5 c / min to call India using their calling plan (i don't call regularly to use the 9.99/month effectively)

b) Tried holding down the # keys longer, switching speed dials to no avail

I'm pretty sure the problem is OOMA as both Reliance and Ring123 don't recognize the dial tones
#104173 by lbmofo
Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 pm
If by any chance, you are using speaker phone, try without speaker phone.
Or try using another phone brand.