This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#92503 by kelkin
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:15 am
I rarely use my Telo anymore because when using it people on the other end start going "Hello? Keith? " and for a good 20 seconds or so they can't hear me even though I can hear them just fine. There have also been times where they start breaking up and sounding robotic. I'm using Optimum Online with boost plus, I have an average DL speed of 59.6Mbps, upload of 4.75Mbps, and jitter results below which appear just fine.

Upstream jitter 2.9 ms
Downstream jitter 3.0 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 721 ms
INVITE ms 719 ms
BYE ms 1 ms
#92507 by thunderbird
Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:58 am
kelkin wrote:I rarely use my Telo anymore because when using it people on the other end start going "Hello? Keith? " and for a good 20 seconds or so they can't hear me even though I can hear them just fine. There have also been times where they start breaking up and sounding robotic. I'm using Optimum Online with boost plus, I have an average DL speed of 59.6Mbps, upload of 4.75Mbps, and jitter results below which appear just fine.

Upstream jitter 2.9 ms
Downstream jitter 3.0 ms
Upstream packet loss 0.0 %
Downstream packet loss 0.0 %
Upstream packet order 100.0 %
Downstream packet order 100.0 %
Packet discards 0.0 %
MOS 4.1
REGISTER ms 721 ms
INVITE ms 719 ms
BYE ms 1 ms

I've had the same symptoms for some time. I keep reporting these problems to Ooma with little success. But this morning I called out and to my surprise I didn’t hear the robotic and garbled voice, or have one way conversations. Of coarse this is just one call.

The problem that you are having probably comes from the Ooma side.

But the one way conversation could be a defected phone. Test with another phone.

Robotic Voice could be problems with the Internet provider. Test by surfing the web and see if your web browser stalls and starts again. You could also run http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . Click on the Graph tab. Look at the red lines. If you have tall, wide, square, red lines, and some are separated a greater distance from the blue graph line, then there is probably something wrong with the Internet provider signal or Modem. Check both the Download speed and the Upload speed.

More then likely the problem is on the Ooma side, so contact Ooma Customer Support and report your problems to them:

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#92632 by swisskent
Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:16 am
I too have a high-speed Internet connection with no other issues other than poor call quality with Ooma. My connections speeds are currently: 37.2 Mbps down & 4.7 Mbps up (just tested it). The Ooma Telo is connected to the DSL modem/router and nothing connects to the Telo beyond that. The DSL modem/router is configured for QoS Down & Up so that the Telo has first priority. The QoS on the Telo itself is disabled.

I am suspecting that this issue is on Ooma's side because I did not use to have these choppy voice issues during phone calls. Ooma has worked fine for years. Then, suddenly, (after a new version release client or server-side?), these issues appeared and have not gone away.

Anyone else having these problems?
#92665 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:55 pm
swisskent wrote:I too have a high-speed Internet connection with no other issues other than poor call quality with Ooma. My connections speeds are currently: 37.2 Mbps down & 4.7 Mbps up (just tested it). The Ooma Telo is connected to the DSL modem/router and nothing connects to the Telo beyond that. The DSL modem/router is configured for QoS Down & Up so that the Telo has first priority. The QoS on the Telo itself is disabled.

I am suspecting that this issue is on Ooma's side because I did not use to have these choppy voice issues during phone calls. Ooma has worked fine for years. Then, suddenly, (after a new version release client or server-side?), these issues appeared and have not gone away.

Anyone else having these problems?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

Make sure that you have your MAC address setting, in Ooma Setup, to use Built In MAC address.

Next Set the Ooma Telo Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds both to a value of about 1000 kbps higher then the measured Upload and download speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedstest. Then test.
#93155 by browning
Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:14 pm
thunderbird wrote:
swisskent wrote:I too have a high-speed Internet connection with no other issues other than poor call quality with Ooma. My connections speeds are currently: 37.2 Mbps down & 4.7 Mbps up (just tested it). The Ooma Telo is connected to the DSL modem/router and nothing connects to the Telo beyond that. The DSL modem/router is configured for QoS Down & Up so that the Telo has first priority. The QoS on the Telo itself is disabled.

I am suspecting that this issue is on Ooma's side because I did not use to have these choppy voice issues during phone calls. Ooma has worked fine for years. Then, suddenly, (after a new version release client or server-side?), these issues appeared and have not gone away.

Anyone else having these problems?

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: __2061kbps______________
Upload Speed: ___1129kbps_____________
Download Consistency of Service ____74%____
Upload Consistency of Service ___79%______
Maximum TCP Delay ____172ms_________
Jitter you server ___4.7ms_______
Jitter server you ___4.2ms______
Packet loss: you server__0.0ms_____
Packet loss: server you __0.8ms____
Packet discards ____1.6ms_____
Packets out of order ___0.0ms______
Estimated MOS score ___3.2_____

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.

Make sure that you have your MAC address setting, in Ooma Setup, to use Built In MAC address.

Next Set the Ooma Telo Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet speeds both to a value of about 1000 kbps higher then the measured Upload and download speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedstest. Then test.


Having the same problems, robotic sound, breaking up. Has been getting worse over the past few weeks. Not sure about the MAC address. Any ideas how I can fix my Ooma Telo? Using Comcast Xfinity internet.

Update-
I did the QoS and set the upstream & downstream with the numbers I got from the speedtest link. And it does sound better now. not sure if that's all I needed, but I'll keep checking it to see if the problem comes back.
#93159 by thunderbird
Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:42 pm
browning:
Packet loss: server you __0.8ms____.............should be zero
Packet discards ____1.6ms_____..................should be zero

Per the information above, your modem or Internet provider signal is having some problems.

First remove power from your modem. Then repower your modem. Run Phonepower Speed test again and see if there is improvement for the Packet loss and Packet discards. they both should be Zero. If it doesn't improve, remove power from the modem and repower it again and test with Phonepower Speedtest again.

If you still have Packet loss or discards, borrow or purchase another modem and test again. If you still have problems, the problem is probably with the Internet provider.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests