This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#92007 by emeidz
Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:04 am
I have had my Ooma Telo for 2 weeks. Since day 1 I have had incoming call delay and quality issues. I have called support several times and just get the same scripted answers. Is there anything that can be done or do I need to cancel my number port and return the Ooma to Best Buy?
#92011 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:41 am
emeidz wrote:I have had my Ooma Telo for 2 weeks. Since day 1 I have had incoming call delay and quality issues. I have called support several times and just get the same scripted answers. Is there anything that can be done or do I need to cancel my number port and return the Ooma to Best Buy?

First: Check and see if you have the latest firmware release that is being pushed out by Ooma this week and next week to all Ooma Telo customers (Ooma Telo firmware 52474 Release). The new firmware may help.

View topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13193

You can check your version by entering *#*#001 (Speak the version of software). A voice comes out of the Ooma Telo Speaker announcing the software version.


Next try this:
To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls, garbled voice, and sometimes slow connections, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device. Then test

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device. Then test.

Next if you haven't enabled ten digit calling, do it now by accessing My Ooma at https://my.ooma.com/system . It may not help with inbound calls, but it does help with outbound calling.
#92012 by emeidz
Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:34 am
Thanks Thunderbird. The MAC Address spoofing change was the first thing I tried days ago. Then support had me set QoS to 0 down and 999 up. Then they had me change it to 0 down and 800 up. My setup is Cable Modem...Ooma...Router. My Internet speed is 30M down and 5M up. I do not have the latest firmware yet. I was planning on calling support this afternoon to see if they could push it to my Ooma today. We do not have 10 digit local calling where I live so if I change that will it break local outbound calling?
#92015 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 am
emeidz wrote:Thanks Thunderbird. The MAC Address spoofing change was the first thing I tried days ago. Then support had me set QoS to 0 down and 999 up. Then they had me change it to 0 down and 800 up. My setup is Cable Modem...Ooma...Router. My Internet speed is 30M down and 5M up. I do not have the latest firmware yet. I was planning on calling support this afternoon to see if they could push it to my Ooma today.

How is your Ooma setup? Is it Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma.

If it's Modem-Ooma-Router, both the Upstream Internet Speed and downstream Internet speeds should be set to about 80 percent of the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest.

If it's Modem-Router-Ooma, try setting the Upstream Internet Speed and downstream Internet speeds to a value higher then the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest.

Then test.
emeidz wrote:We do not have 10 digit local calling where I live so if I change that will it break local outbound calling?

It it won't break local calling, but it may help. One thing if you do change to ten digit calling, add a hash (#) mark at the end of your dialed number string. Example: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx# , it will speed the time between dialing and when the phone on the other end starts ringing.
#92019 by emeidz
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:48 am
My setup is Modem-Ooma-Router. I originally had the upstream set to 80% of the upload and download to that site. I had it set to 25M down and 3M up. Still had the issues. Called support and they said the down should be set to 0 and the up to a max of 999k up. So we tried that...did not fix. Then they had me change to 800k up. That did not fix.
#92020 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:52 am
emeidz wrote:My setup is Modem-Ooma-Router. I originally had the upstream set to 80% of the upload and download to that site. I had it set to 25M down and 3M up. Still had the issues. Called support and they said the down should be set to 0 and the up to a max of 999k up. So we tried that...did not fix. Then they had me change to 800k up. That did not fix.

It looks like you have enough band width that you shouldn't have to do anything with Ooma Setup Quality of Service.

With your Ooma connected Modem-Router-Ooma, for testing, try setting the Upstream Internet Speed and downstream Internet speeds to a value higher then the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. Then test.
#92021 by emeidz
Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:56 am
Support told me if I move my Ooma behind router to set QoS to 0 and 0. They said any value entered over 999k is invalid. What are your thoughts on that statement by support? I can will move Ooma behind router this afternoon and test.
#92023 by dansb
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 am
I too have been having call delay and quality issues for many months. I have talked to tech support several times. Each time instructing me to do this or that and even giving me completely wrong information. I do not have a Telo unit and given my continuing issue, I will not be upgrading anytime soon. I cannot make a call without stepping all over the other callers conversation. I have to make sure they are done talking before I begin to talk or we have a delay issue. I am really tired of it and do not feel I am getting the customer service issues resolved. Its time to fix this. My premier account is up for renewal and unless they can give me QOS that is at least normal, I will not stay with Ooma much longer.
#92024 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:25 am
emeidz wrote:Support told me if I move my Ooma behind router to set QoS to 0 and 0. They said any value entered over 999k is invalid. What are your thoughts on that statement by support? I can will move Ooma behind router this afternoon and test.

I think support is just guess some of the time. I think that your problem probably has something to do with Routing on the Ooma side. But you should try everything that you can, just to make sure.

Before you move the Ooma Telo, try this first:
With your Ooma connected Modem-Ooma-Router, for testing, try setting the Upstream Internet Speed and downstream Internet speeds to a value higher then the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. Then test.

Then:
With your Ooma connected Modem-Router-Ooma, for testing, try setting the Upstream Internet Speed and downstream Internet speeds to a value higher then the measured upload and download speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. Then test.
#92025 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:30 am
dansb wrote:I too have been having call delay and quality issues for many months. I have talked to tech support several times. Each time instructing me to do this or that and even giving me completely wrong information. I do not have a Telo unit and given my continuing issue, I will not be upgrading anytime soon. I cannot make a call without stepping all over the other callers conversation. I have to make sure they are done talking before I begin to talk or we have a delay issue. I am really tired of it and do not feel I am getting the customer service issues resolved. Its time to fix this. My premier account is up for renewal and unless they can give me QOS that is at least normal, I will not stay with Ooma much longer.

You are having half-duplex conversations. Usually the Modem is operating at half-duplex. Rebooting the Modem usually fixes that, at least temporarily. If you reboot your Modem and your Ooma conversations are normal right after the boot, then later the conversation goes back to half-duplex, then there is more troubleshooting to do, to find out if your modem is defective or some other device, like a printer or computer is pulling your LAN down to half-duplex.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests