This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#91664 by wa4zwc
Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:15 am
I had my number ported on Jan 10 and since then all of the incoming calls are garbled. The person calling has no problem hearing me, but theirs is garbled. I can hangup and then call the person and the quality is good.

My number that was previously assigned to me from Ooma from the beginning works ok with incoming calls, its just the ported number incoming calls I am having problems with.

I called Ooma support and they had me run speedtest.net and ping test.net. The results from speedtest.net was 24.3mbps download and 1.85 mbps upload. The results from pingtest.net was MOS quality 4.39, ping 29ms, jitter 1ms, and packet loss 0.

The customer support then had me change my settings in my Ooma setup to 768 up and 0 down.

I still have the same problem.

Any suggestions before I call the support again?

Ooma set up is modem-router-ooma

Thanks,

Jerry
#91665 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:58 am
wa4zwc wrote:I had my number ported on Jan 10 and since then all of the incoming calls are garbled. The person calling has no problem hearing me, but theirs is garbled. I can hangup and then call the person and the quality is good.

My number that was previously assigned to me from Ooma from the beginning works ok with incoming calls, its just the ported number incoming calls I am having problems with.

I called Ooma support and they had me run speedtest.net and ping test.net. The results from speedtest.net was 24.3mbps download and 1.85 mbps upload. The results from pingtest.net was MOS quality 4.39, ping 29ms, jitter 1ms, and packet loss 0.

The customer support then had me change my settings in my Ooma setup to 768 up and 0 down.

I still have the same problem.

Any suggestions before I call the support again?

Ooma set up is modem-router-ooma

Thanks,

Jerry

To help stabilize your Ooma Internet connection turn off MAC address Spoofing, which can cause dropped calls and garbled voice, by doing the following:
If your Ooma device is connected Modem-Ooma-Router, access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem and the Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Ooma device.

If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

Access the Ooma Setup by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. Click on the Advanced tab. Under Quality of Service set both the Upstream Internet speed and Down Stream Internet speed to 80% of the measured Upload and Down load speeds as measured by http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest. After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Advanced tab at lower left side. Take the Download Speed and the Upload speed, and multiply .8 times for each number. The resulting numbers are the numbers that you enter into Ooma Setup, Advanced page under Quality of Service Upstream Internet Speed (kbps): and Downstream Internet Speed (kbps): boxes. Click on Update. Then test making and receiving calls.

Next: make sure that your Ooma device is positioned at least four feet away from your cordless phone base and router.

Also view topic: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13143
Last edited by thunderbird on Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
#91671 by lbmofo
Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:19 am
wa4zwc, since outgoing calls are okay, see if you can test by having someone call you at the Ooma number you got assigned before the port. If that's okay, then it must be carrier routing with the ported number. Then, you'd keep track of recent date/time of the bad calls and report to Ooma customer service to have them look into possible bad routing issue.
#91675 by wa4zwc
Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:36 pm
Thanks thunderbird and Ibmofo.

thunderbird, I tried the settings that you mentioned and it helped some, but I decided to do a complete factory reset on the telo and now the incoming calls to the ported number are clear. I hope they continue to stay that way. I now have my QOS settings at 0 for both up and down which is what I had it set before as recommended by customer service when I had a different issue last month.

Ibmofo, yes, the original number supplied by Ooma was working ok with incoming and outgoing calls. It was just the ported number incoming calls I was having problems with.

If I start having problems again, I will keep a log of the bad calls and notify customer service to look into the possibility of a routing issue.

Thanks to you both.
#91683 by rmeden
Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:36 pm
When you ported your number, did you have any other changes? (like move off DSL, connect to home wiring, etc).

Just to be sure I read this right... you currently have two numbers. Your "original" Ooma number and the ported number. The Ooma number works fine and the ported number has problems. On the same Ooma. Minutes apart.

If that is the case, I would make sure support understands it as it can't be a local Ooma or network problem, but has to be on Ooma (or originating Telco)'s side.
#91689 by wa4zwc
Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 pm
rmeden, no, I have made no changes. The number I ported was from Time Warner Cable.

My Telo is and has been connected to my home phone jacks since I have been using it, and of now, both numbers are working correctly.

Before I had my Time Warner number ported, I had it forwarded to my original Ooma number, but I stopped the forward the day before the port took place.

Thanks for the advice though. :)
#91983 by jjh
Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:49 pm
:( ...I have the same problem.garbled voice on incoming calls...the person on the other end has no problem hearing me. If I call them back, there is no problem hearing on either end. Only on incoming calls on hearing the person calling. WHATS THE SOLUTION...May have to take it back to Best buy. John
#91992 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:01 pm
Since the Ooma Telo Firmware Update 52474 was released, my garbled voice, robotic voice, and one way conversation problems have almost disappeared.

Today I still had a slight one way conversation issue, where I couldn't hear the other party, but the other party could hear me while I was having the problem. But it happened only momentarily one time, then the phone conversation returned to normal.

Check to see if you have the latest firmware update for the Ooma Telo.

Dial *#*#001 (Speak the version of software) using one of your phones connected to your Ooma Telo, to hear the current version of software installed on your Ooma Telo. Audio comes out of the Ooma Telo's speaker.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13193#p91846

Location of what has changed in the firmware update: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13193#p91846