This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#91460 by jludman
Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 am
I just went back to VoIP when I got fiber optic internet (30/15Mbps) installed a couple weeks ago. I had tried Vonage several years ago, and with Comcasts cable internet service, it was essentially unusable.

My wife works from home a couple days a week, and if our phone fails she gets a little flack from her boss, and it gets amplified 10 fold when it gets to me.

I have just determined that the few minor internet problems I have had since getting the fiber service have been DNS lookup failures. At least a couple times a day, the default setup I have for my home network can't resolve addresses for 10 or 20 seconds at a time. Before I assign a static IP, and different DNS servers to my Telo, I thought someone who knows how they work, might know this is a non-issue (maybe it will always have a cache of anyone it ever talks with?).
#91465 by jludman
Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:07 pm
Nice, thanks. It was easier to reconfigure things than I thought. No need for a static IP to change your DNS servers on all the devices (including the telo) I have reconfigured so far. Responsiveness of Fairpoint fiberoptic feels 10 times better with Google's free DNS than whatever they use by default.