This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#91266 by Eclipso
Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:37 pm
Hey all,

I have a ticket in with tech support but they couldnt escalate it any further tonight and I am just really curious about this and I installed my second Ooma tonight.

My outbond calls are perfectly fine, my inbound calls however delay (cant here other person) around 18-20 seconds before the call "connects" and on top of it I can watch it "kill" my internet and I loose all connectivity for a few seconds.

I am on Century Link: 35 down consistant and 4.5 up consistant.

We have set the QoS in the Ooma to several diffrent things and nothing seems to have helped, I even had Century Link reset the modem and same problem.

I am plugged directly into my modem with the Ooma nothing coming out of it, I have ran some jitter test I was reading in another thread and everything was all good based off the test and green lights everywhere.

Any and all help is appreciated.
#91269 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:29 pm
Eclipso wrote:Hey all,

I have a ticket in with tech support but they couldnt escalate it any further tonight and I am just really curious about this and I installed my second Ooma tonight.

My outbond calls are perfectly fine, my inbound calls however delay (cant here other person) around 18-20 seconds before the call "connects" and on top of it I can watch it "kill" my internet and I loose all connectivity for a few seconds.

It sounds like you may have two issues.

Issue One:
For this issue you have to wait until Ooma makes changes on their side.
Below is information about your One Way Calling issue from Tom B. Ooma Moderator:
Tom B wrote:
So my home's Ooma Telo one way audio problem should be fixed next week?

Correct, once all servers are upgraded which will likely complete the week after next. Before that it will be hit or miss depending on which server you hit when making calls. And for those unfamiliar with this issue, it only happens on calls to certain numbers.

Eclipso wrote:I am on Century Link: 35 down consistant and 4.5 up consistant.

We have set the QoS in the Ooma to several diffrent things and nothing seems to have helped, I even had Century Link reset the modem and same problem.

I am plugged directly into my modem with the Ooma nothing coming out of it, I have ran some jitter test I was reading in another thread and everything was all good based off the test and green lights everywhere.

Any and all help is appreciated.

For Issue two " I can watch it "kill" my internet and I loose all connectivity for a few seconds."

For testing, temporarily try connecting Modem-Router-Ooma. Normally with this connection, nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except temporarily a computer for making adjustments to Ooma Setup.

If that doesn't help with "I can watch it "kill" my internet and I loose all connectivity for a few seconds."

Run http://speedtest.phonepower.com/ to see how your modem and Internet connection is doing. Then click on the Advance tab on the lower left side of the Phonepower page, and post the following values here in this thread, by clicking on "Quote" in the upper right hand corner of this Ooma Forum post. Then fill in the blanks.

Download Speed: ________________
Upload Speed: ________________
Download Consistency of Service ________
Upload Consistency of Service _________
Maximum TCP Delay _____________
Jitter you server __________
Jitter server you _________
Packet loss: you server_______
Packet loss: server you ______
Packet discards _________
Packets out of order _________
Estimated MOS score ________

If you do the Java fix in your computer, instructions located at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12085. Then you can click on the Speedtest Phonepower Advanced tab, then "view test" at the bottom. Instead of filling in the blanks above, you can select CTRL+A to highlight, CTRL+C to copy; CTRL+V for paste into the Ooma Forum.
#91270 by Eclipso
Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:20 am
I ran that test no loss, no jitter and my up and down speeds are fine although:

REGISTER ms 629 ms
INVITE ms 629 ms

I dont know if it is an Ooma issue or not, its been happening for about three weeks or so and the new box did fix the oubound calls just the inbound still are horrid.
#91280 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:44 am
Eclipso wrote:I ran that test no loss, no jitter and my up and down speeds are fine although:

REGISTER ms 629 ms
INVITE ms 629 ms

I dont know if it is an Ooma issue or not, its been happening for about three weeks or so and the new box did fix the oubound calls just the inbound still are horrid.

The inbound problem is supposed to be fixed by software changes to the Ooma Servers during the next couple of weeks. I have the inbound problem also, so we both have to wait for a litttle more time.
#91282 by Eclipso
Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:43 pm
ahh okay, the rep I spoke with last night must not have been aware of the issue then. I appreciate the help.
#91288 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:22 pm
Eclipso wrote:ahh okay, the rep I spoke with last night must not have been aware of the issue then. I appreciate the help.

Below is the information that I received from Ooma Moderator Tom B.

Tom B wrote:
So my home's Ooma Telo one way audio problem should be fixed next week?

Correct, once all servers are upgraded which will likely complete the week after next. Before that it will be hit or miss depending on which server you hit when making calls. And for those unfamiliar with this issue, it only happens on calls to certain numbers.
#93589 by Eclipso
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:33 am
Well, everything worked great (once it was "fixed" for about a week and the last 3 weeks its been absolute hit or miss again, I call in and get the same scripted response and no one will help. Does anyone know if its still an issue on their end or maybe something on mine.

I ran all the phone tests again and everything is still 100% fine. I dont know what to do.
#93591 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:40 am
Eclipso wrote:Well, everything worked great (once it was "fixed" for about a week and the last 3 weeks its been absolute hit or miss again, I call in and get the same scripted response and no one will help. Does anyone know if its still an issue on their end or maybe something on mine.

I ran all the phone tests again and everything is still 100% fine. I dont know what to do.

I am having some of this issue also, but only on one of the two Ooma Telos that I have.

Try powering off your Ooma device for one hour. Then repower your Ooma device and test.
#93611 by thunderbird
Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:59 am
Eclipso wrote:I am affraid it didnt change anything...

Did you ever try connecting your Ooma, Modem-Router-Ooma. If you haven't remove power from your Modem, Ooma device and Router and reconnet Modem-Router-Ooma. Then repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router. When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma device. Then Test.