This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#91199 by atjaguarx
Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:08 pm
So, I've been giving the Ooma Telo a test run for a month or so before I make the commitment and port my phone number over. The first few weeks have been good, no issues at all.

Last night, I made a phone call and the person on the other end said my voice was all scrambled and could only make out every other word I was saying. I was able to hear them just fine. So, I decided to investigate.

I had noticed that I had just copied a large chuck of data to my server that performs online backups. The online backup had been running while I attempted to make the phone call.

I checked the settings on the backup software and I had set a bandwidth limit of 750k for uploads. My ISP (AT&T Uverse -FTTP) provides a very consistent 1.4 meg upload speed. I decided to pause my online backups and make the phone call again. The phone call quality was perfect once again. I decided to perform the backup again, and the quality took a nose dive.

My current setup is:

Router -> Gigabit Switch -> Devices (Computer, Server, Ooma, Xbox, Wireless Access Point, etc..)

Everything goes through the switch and then to the router. My router does NOT have QOS on it. I thought about performing the following setup:

Router -> Ooma Telo -> Gigabit Switch -> Devices (Computer, Server, Xbox, Wireless Access Point, etc...)

This way, any internet traffic would have to filter through the Ooma Telo and it's QOS.

My question is... Why wouldn't the backup software (750k max upload) prevent any QOS issues that I experienced? I was obviously leaving a significant portion available to the Ooma Telo. If I went with my 2nd setup, where the Ooma sits between the router and the switch, will the QOS on the Ooma Telo prevent this issue? With the Ooma between the Router and all connected devices, will I notice QOS issues with those other devices? I do some Netflix streaming, online gaming, etc... and would not want to affect those as well. Also, it is very important that my devices stay on the Gigabit switch. The performance between the devices is important.

The results of my speed test are as follows:

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 12412 kbps
Upload speed: 1487 kbps
Download consistency of service: 69 %
Upload consistency of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 71 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 63 ms
Average round trip time to server: 64 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12800 kbps
Route concurrency: 1.0311869
Download TCP forced idle: 37 %
Maximum route speed: --

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 2.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
#91201 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:05 am
atjaguarx:
I don't know if this problem is affecting you also, but some Ooma users, including myself, have been having an intermittent One Way conversations issues just recently. The problem is on the Ooma side. Ooma said yesterday that they expect to make changes to their servers this week, to correct the problem.

Some things to try:
Change Ooma MAC address from Automatic to Use Built In.
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

With a Modem/Router-Ooma connection, in Ooma Setup, Advanced page, Quality of Service:,
set both the Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to Zero. These setting are what Ooma suggests for a Modem/Router-Ooma connection setup.

Also read viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13063
#91226 by atjaguarx
Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 pm
thunderbird wrote:atjaguarx:
I don't know if this problem is affecting you also, but some Ooma users, including myself, have been having an intermittent One Way conversations issues just recently. The problem is on the Ooma side. Ooma said yesterday that they expect to make changes to their servers this week, to correct the problem.

This was my first and only issue.

thunderbird wrote:Some things to try:
If your connection is Modem-Router-Ooma, temporarily connect a network cable from your Ooma device home port, to the wired LAN port of a computer. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if turned on. Reboot the computer. Access your Ooma Setup pages by typing http://172.27.35.1 in your computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages open. Click on Internet, go down to INTERNET Port MAC Address: and change setting from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update device. Remove power from your Modem, your Router and Ooma Device. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting repower your Router. When the Router is done booting, repower your Ooma device.

I don't mind trying this, but can someone explain how this would help the problem?
#91228 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:18 pm
atjaguarx wrote:
thunderbird wrote:atjaguarx:

This was my first and only issue.

thunderbird wrote:Some things to try:

I don't mind trying this, but can someone explain how this would help the problem?

When the Ooma device is set to Automatic, it allows MAC Address Spoofing. MAC Address Spoofing often can cause a conflict between the Modem and Ooma device. The result is often garbled voice conversations, and dropped calls. Ooma has said that they have plans for removing the Automatic MAC address setting during during one of the future firmware updates.
#91230 by tommies
Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:48 pm
How old is your router? Mine is a cheap one (I bought it for $20 4-5yrs ago) and it has QoS. I think it's time for you to upgrade your router.

I would not trust the backup software's claim that it stays with in the limit. You better option is enforce it at the router. Those are absolute bad boys. One friend of mine ran into the same problem when he first signed up for Carbonite. For the whole month--till the Carbonite finished the initial backup--he virtually cannot do any thing with his DSL, not even checking email or browse the web.

As for the question of Why: the backup only uses the upstream bandwidth, and the downstream is absolutely free, but every thing come to stand still. here is some reading which does not directly explain it, but you can induce the reason
http://www.benzedrine.cx/ackpri.html
#91232 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:05 pm
atjaguarx wrote:I tried the suggestions above and got no positive results. I'm experiencing the same issues.

According to what I've been told by Ooma, the "fix" will be installed on the Ooma servers side some time during this week.

My wife was using the Ooma phone tonight and she still had the One Way Conversations issues, so Ooma hasn't made the server changes yet.

Late add:
Ooma now says that the One Way Conversation correction/update to the Ooma servers will take longer and will take place during this week and durning the next two weeks.
#91239 by atjaguarx
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:21 am
tommies wrote:How old is your router? Mine is a cheap one (I bought it for $20 4-5yrs ago) and it has QoS. I think it's time for you to upgrade your router.

My router is the AT&T supplied 2Wire 3801hgv. During my brief research of this router, it does NOT have a configurable QOS.

tommies wrote:I would not trust the backup software's claim that it stays with in the limit.

From what I can tell, the backup software is throttling itself. I can set the limit that the software uses and I can visually see, through their application, the completion ETA and the current bandwidth its using. Say for example that I give it 1mb of bandwidth, I'll see that it's ETA for completion is 1 hour and its currently uploading @ 995k (for example). If I cut it's bandwidth to 500k, I'll see that it's ETA for completion has doubled to 2 hours and it will be uploading @ 492k.
#91240 by atjaguarx
Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:36 am
I tried the following setup:

Router -> Ooma Telo -> Gigabit Switch -> Devices (Computer, Server, Xbox, Wireless Access Point, etc...)

I'll have to say that I was not impressed with the Ooma's ability to be a DHCP server, firewall, etc...

There are a few issues that I was unhappy with:

1. My Router allows wireless connections. It's DHCP reservation pool is in the 192 subnet. Ooma uses the 172 subnet. This can be resolved by changing the DHCP settings, so I should be able to make my way through this one.
    2. When Ooma was acting as DHCP, the devices took SIGNIFICANTLY longer to be assigned IP addresses. Not sure what to do about this one.
    3. When performing a XBL test, the xbox 360 complained about the NAT. Not sure what to do about this one.

With the device in this setup and the Ooma upstream and downstream limits set to zero (guess this turns OFF QOS?) and performing a few bandwidth tests, the call quality was still significantly impacted during the upload portion of the tests. I then set the upstream bandwidth to 1400 in the Ooma Telo and reran the bandwidth tests and found that the Ooma was NOT affected by the test. Voice quality was only slightly impacted and was very acceptable. I did notice that my upstream test reported that I was no longer getting 1400k up, rather I was getting approximately 700k up. This tells me that Ooma was reserving 700k for itself. Does this seem excessive?

Unless anyone has any recommendations for the few issues above, I'm not convinced that the setup described in this post is the way I want to go. The limitations that the Ooma telo provides as a DHCP server, firewall, etc... is too much to allow this setup.
#91245 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 am
atjaguarx:
First go to the Ooma Forum thread below and read about AT&T Modem/Routers.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13063

In most of those AT&T Modem/Routers, there is a reset function. Serveral people have reported the all of their Ooma problems have gone away after the Modem/Router reset. Others have just bought a better Modem and/or router and their Ooma problems went away.

For the One Way Conversation issue, Ooma now says they will be adding the fix to their servers through next week and the week after.