This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90774 by actonweber
Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:55 pm
We started experiencing our first serious OOMA problems two days ago after five months of good service. Calling a local, landline (using 7 or 10 digits makes no difference) results in dead air for 30-40 seconds and occasionally a busy signal at the end of that time. Calling a local 7-digit cell phone is no problem. Go figure. I came here to the forum tonight and find many people recently having problems and solutions posted that take 30-40 minutes of concentrated effort with no success many times. My two calls to customer support resulted in absolutely ZERO assistance and much difficulty with the English language.
I am going to do no more than trying the *xx codec prefixes. If that helps, fine. If not, my OOMA is going in the trash. And, speaking of trash, I am going to trash OOMA as a product on every technical forum I participate in - as well as with all of my neighbors.
OOMA sucks.
#90779 by actonweber
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:Is your issue isolated to this one "landline" number? If you are sure this number is not a VoIP (the called party might be having internet issues), then you can contact Ooma service to have them look into your problem.

https://www.ooma.com/company/contact

No, any landline number results in the same problem. I called OOMA service twice and got nowhere. Part of the problem was the poor quality connection and poor English at the other end.
#90781 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:56 pm
actonweber wrote:We started experiencing our first serious OOMA problems two days ago after five months of good service. Calling a local, landline (using 7 or 10 digits makes no difference) results in dead air for 30-40 seconds and occasionally a busy signal at the end of that time. Calling a local 7-digit cell phone is no problem. Go figure. I came here to the forum tonight and find many people recently having problems and solutions posted that take 30-40 minutes of concentrated effort with no success many times. My two calls to customer support resulted in absolutely ZERO assistance and much difficulty with the English language.
I am going to do no more than trying the *xx codec prefixes. If that helps, fine. If not, my OOMA is going in the trash. And, speaking of trash, I am going to trash OOMA as a product on every technical forum I participate in - as well as with all of my neighbors.
OOMA sucks.

First:
Go the My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system and make sure ten digit dialing is enabled.

Next:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. If you are using a wired LAN Internet connection, you may want to reset MAC address from Automatic, to Use Built In. Also you may want to reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings but probably won't be necessary if you have higher Internet speeds, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Next:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Next:
For an Ooma Hub: Dial *99 before dialing the number. ( *99 will cause echo during the call)
For an Ooma Telo: Dial *98 or *96 before dialing the number.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
Many people find that they only have to do the prefix step above once or twice, and then things return to normal.

Dialing with a hash mark # at the end of the number dialed will always speed the dialing process.
Example: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#
#90790 by actonweber
Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:39 pm
First:
Go the My Ooma https://my.ooma.com/system and make sure ten digit dialing is enabled.

Next:
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line. If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. If you are using a wired LAN Internet connection, you may want to reset MAC address from Automatic, to Use Built In. Also you may want to reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings but probably won't be necessary if you have higher Internet speeds, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle.

Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.

Next:
Power off the Ooma device for 20 minutes. This allows time for the Ooma servers to reload/reset/correct your Ooma profile. Then repower the Ooma device and test.

Next:
For an Ooma Hub: Dial *99 before dialing the number. ( *99 will cause echo during the call)
For an Ooma Telo: Dial *98 or *96 before dialing the number.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
Many people find that they only have to do the prefix step above once or twice, and then things return to normal.

Dialing with a hash mark # at the end of the number dialed will always speed the dialing process.
Example: 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx#[/quote]

Thunderbird: I tried all of the above (and changing QoS settings, etc) to no avail after reading other posts. But I have more clues to the problem. It appears I may have problems only calling numbers that use VOIP from my ISP. When I call local cell phones (7-digit), long distance cell phones (10-digits) or local (7-digit) numbers that use a landline (Verizon) I apparently have no problem. But many of the local numbers we call use VOIP through Time-Warner/Roadrunner and calls are not going through to them at all, either 7 or 10 digit. My ISP is also Time-Warner. What do I tell Time-Warner that they are doing wrong? Or, even better, what can I do? I have reset the modem, turned off both the modem and Telo, etc. My setup is modem-Telo-router.
#90793 by thunderbird
Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:53 pm
actonweber wrote:Thunderbird: I tried all of the above (and changing QoS settings, etc) to no avail after reading other posts. But I have more clues to the problem. It appears I may have problems only calling numbers that use VOIP from my ISP. When I call local cell phones (7-digit), long distance cell phones (10-digits) or local (7-digit) numbers that use a landline (Verizon) I apparently have no problem. But many of the local numbers we call use VOIP through Time-Warner/Roadrunner and calls are not going through to them at all, either 7 or 10 digit. My ISP is also Time-Warner. What do I tell Time-Warner that they are doing wrong? Or, even better, what can I do? I have reset the modem, turned off both the modem and Telo, etc. My setup is modem-Telo-router.

If you only can't call Time-Warner phone numbers, than your Ooma phone number is not entered in a data base, or not entered correctly in a data base somewhere, (probably a Time-Warner data base).

Usually the approach to this problem has to be two pronged.
First: you have to attempt to make some calls to the Time-Warner phone numbers that you can't reach. Then access My Ooma Call logs at https://my.ooma.com/call_logs . Cut and paste the phone numbers and data, to include the number(s) called, the date, time, etc, for the phone numbers that didn't go through, to an E-mail to Ooma Customer Support. Note: Ooma Customer Support likes very recent data.

Second: Get some of the people (more than one preferred) that you are attempting to call that has a Time-Warner VoIP phone number, to contact Time-Warner and report that they can't reach a "Known Working Number" (your Ooma phone number).

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Usually the two pronged approaches works.
#90804 by bryanlyle
Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:24 am
I must say, my parents are experiencing similar situations when calling local numbers in our area. I recently gifted them a Telo unit and they are seeing long connect times calling local numbers, dead air, busy signals, etc. My Ooma system that is installed 20 miles away is still chugging along.

I've been working with Ooma to hopefully figure out what's going on. Fingers crossed.
#90808 by actonweber
Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:04 am
thunderbird wrote:
actonweber wrote:Thunderbird:

Usually the approach to this problem has to be two pronged.
First: you have to attempt to make some calls to the Time-Warner phone numbers that you can't reach. Then access My Ooma Call logs at https://my.ooma.com/call_logs . Cut and paste the phone numbers and data, to include the number(s) called, the date, time, etc, for the phone numbers that didn't go through, to an E-mail to Ooma Customer Support. Note: Ooma Customer Support likes very recent data.

Second: Get some of the people (more than one preferred) that you are attempting to call that has a Time-Warner VoIP phone number, to contact Time-Warner and report that they can't reach a "Known Working Number" (your Ooma phone number).

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST

Usually the two pronged approaches works.

T'BIrd - I failed to mention that those same people on our ISP that we can NOT call have no trouble calling us. Does this change the solution? And I have exported my call log and emailed it to support, per your first recommendation. How do I get this problem to the "super tier"??

Thanks!