This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#90362 by gogogirl
Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:56 pm
I hear a faint buzzing sound almost like a busy signal, but not. Sometimes it is steady like static and other times it is like a busy signal and is always in the background of my calls. I am on AT&T Uverse, has anyone else ever had this issue? I am using this phone for business and I am not sure that my callers hear it but I do. When I had the OOMA hooked up directly to my modem, I had to unplug it at night as I would hear that sound when I tried to watch TV. I was hoping getting the wireless would help but it has not.
#90368 by thunderbird
Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:44 pm
gogogirl wrote:I hear a faint buzzing sound almost like a busy signal, but not. Sometimes it is steady like static and other times it is like a busy signal and is always in the background of my calls. I am on AT&T Uverse, has anyone else ever had this issue? I am using this phone for business and I am not sure that my callers hear it but I do. When I had the OOMA hooked up directly to my modem, I had to unplug it at night as I would hear that sound when I tried to watch TV. I was hoping getting the wireless would help but it has not.

For testing, try using a completely different phone, perferably a corded phone connected to the Phone port of the Ooma Telo. Disconnect and remove power from all Wireless phone bases. Again for this test must have power removed from all cordless or wireless phone bases in the home. Test.
#90606 by Shawn
Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:32 am
I had my Telo installed in a cabinet and the phone wall plug is also inside the cabinet. I used a phone wire much long than needed to connect the Telo and the wall plug. I manage the excess wire by coiling it in a bundle and rubber banded it. For a while I noticed strong background static sound. I tried different things but when I went to very short phone wire and eliminate the coiling, the static was practically gone.
#90821 by richard7
Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:28 pm
I too have constant noise, even on my corded phones when all other electrical devices are disconnected. Shortening the phone cord has not worked for me. When I clasp the Telo in my hands the noise is reduced which seems to me that grounding problems may be contributing to the problem. I've found no solution yet.
#90828 by thunderbird
Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:02 pm
richard7 wrote:I too have constant noise, even on my corded phones when all other electrical devices are disconnected. Shortening the phone cord has not worked for me. When I clasp the Telo in my hands the noise is reduced which seems to me that grounding problems may be contributing to the problem. I've found no solution yet.

For testing, connect Modem-Ooma only, and use a corded phone. Make sure the Ooma device is placed at least four feet away from all other electronic devices. Make sure that all Cordless phones are turned off.
If you still have noise, I'd give Ooma Customer Support a call. If your Ooma device is still within the one year warranty period, try to get a replacement under warranty. Ooma sends a replacement Ooma Telo shipping prepaid, and also sends a prepaid shipping label to return the defected Ooma device.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#101422 by jabbott
Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:33 pm
My Ooma Telo has also made annoying buzzing sounds on the phone line for the last few months, off and on, and I think I found a simple solution. Disconnect all of the cables from the back of the Ooma Telo, then blow air into the back of the unit, especially near where the phone cord plugs in. Then reconnect the cables how they were previously installed. I used a Giottos Rocket Air Blower but compressed air would probably also work. I don't recommend blowing in with breath because this can greatly increase the humidity inside the unit and cause damage to the electronics.

After blowing air into the unit, the sound quality has vastly improved. If I listen very closely I can barely hear the buzzing, but it's 99% better. I figured this out after calling Ooma three times and trying various non-related remedies (setting the Telo MAC address to "Use built-in", changing the upstream limit value, etc.). I even considered replacing the AC adapter because others seemed to have success with that, but I changed my mind after hooking it up to an oscilloscope and noticing its output was fine. I also tried two different phones, two different AC outlets, using or not using a surge protector, etc. I wasn't plugging the Ooma Telo into house phone wiring like others on these forums. All signs pointed to the Ooma unit itself being the source of the problem. Nothing else has helped as well as this solution. For what it's worth, I've been using Ooma for about two years now. I'll post again if the buzzing sound comes back and can't be fixed with this technique.